GDT: Devils vs. Hurricanes 4/11/09 - 1:00 PM ET (MSG HD)

RunninWithTheDevil

The PK LOOKS HORRIBLE!! This team cannot survive in the playoffs with a PK that looks like it does now. Brodeur blew that first goal and the Penalty killers in front of him sucked. The 2nd PK sucked worse but Brodeur made some great saves. Madden/Pando and Shannahan/gionta have got to pressure the man with the puck more. The Defense has got to play better, particularly Salvador. Salvador looks slow to react on every play.

I wouldn't mind the Devils playing this team, because they're probably the most overrated (by far) going into the playoffs. But the specialty teams will be the difference, and that's not looking good for the devils right now.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He made a couple of nice stops but I agree that something seems a bit off as well. Just seems like his positioning isn't all there. The Carolina goal has got to be stopped.

Anyways that was a pretty nice period by the Devils. They did get a couple of breaks but they were the better team by far. They have to find a way to fix the PK though. If they can correct the issues there I really can't see why they wouldn't be able to play with this Carolina team should they face them in the first round.

We're also missing one of our best penalty killers against a very good PP. When White is back, he will go a long way in stopping Carolina's PP.

We're also missing one of our best penalty killers against a very good PP. When White is back, he will go a long way in stopping Carolina's PP.

True, but I'm just saying in general. Even with White the penalty kill has been something awful at times. He should help but it's just that the strategy that's being used here is awful. It's insane how much time and space you will see given to the opposition. I mean Marty should have had that first goal but Babchuck had all day long to tee that thing up.

He made a couple of nice stops but I agree that something seems a bit off as well. Just seems like his positioning isn't all there. The Carolina goal has got to be stopped.

The Cole(?) stop he made with the left pad towards the end of the period is Brodeur when he's right. He was right where he was supposed to be and reacted to the shot. Problem is, he's migrating away from his technique at times and he's getting beat. How many goals have we seen go in where he ventures to the top of the crease or outside of it and gets beat? How about when he's now flopping around? There's been more then a few times where he's looked shaky on routine stops too.

It was starting before 552. Afterwards, it just got more noticable. I don't know if it's something mental or a physical problem that's undisclosed, but whatever it is, it's got to get fixed now or they are gone quick. It looks like he is tired, IMO. The flopping is fatigue. The positioning is being unsure of something. This is something that should really be a concern.

True, but I'm just saying in general. Even with White the penalty kill has been something awful at times. He should help but it's just that the strategy that's being used here is awful. It's insane how much time and space you will see given to the opposition. I mean Marty should have had that first goal but Babchuck had all day long to tee that thing up.

You're 100% correct. I was just trying to think of something that would give our PK a boost, no matter how small.

If Pennsylvania A and B get at least one point each then we get the Canes

If they both lose out we get Filly

If Philly wins and Pittsburgh loses (in Reg) we get Ze Pen's

Edited by Middlesex

The Devils played a very solid game today. The only problem is that both the PK and PP are complete sh*t. I'd like to believe this team can do well come playoff time but how far can you possibly get with a non-existent special teams? It's a little disturbing that Carolina was in this thing until the very end even though they were outplayed for the majority of the game.

I'll take the win but,it wasn't pretty take away those 2 fluke goal's and we don't win this one.Marty is still off his game,hope he can get his Head into thr playoff's.They just are not clicking like they should be.We all know they are much better then this,I don't look forward to this long lay-off.all in all,a great season for the Devil's,thank's Clemmer You made this happen.

The Devils played a very solid game today. The only problem is that both the PK and PP are complete sh*t. I'd like to believe this team can do well come playoff time but how far can you possibly get with a non-existent special teams? It's a little disturbing that Carolina was in this thing until the very end even though they were outplayed for the majority of the game.

Well, the good thing is that 5-on-5 we're very solid. To be honest I'd rather have it this way than being crappy at even strength but good in special teams. I like to think it's easier to "fix" special teams than poor 5-on-5.

Glad to go into the playoffs on a winning note. This win will give us more confidence. Marty was good except for that 1st goal.

True, true. Looking back the 2008-2009 reg season had many things to be proud of.

Team record for season wins - 51

12 straight year in the playoffs

8th Atlantic division title

Marty - all time goaltending wins record - 556

Patty - all time team points record - 702

Parise - 45 goals

Langs, Travis, Clarkie all had career seasons

Just some things to be proud of.

Playoffs...here we come!