2014-2015 Lineup Thread

devilsrule33

Sal was also playing ahead of Fayne for a certain stretch. The point is that if Sal didn't have the "C" they wouldn't perceive him as any better than Volchenkov, and probably worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, that isn't true at all.  Salvador got more ice time than Volchenkov before he got the C.  They used Volchenkov in a more limited role but I'm not sure he would be better than Salvador if he had to go out there for 20 minutes a night.  That's an effect we don't really have a handle on.

They also used Salvador in a much bigger PK role than Fayne ever got, so that's why he would dress over Fayne.

Also I'm not going to address the Marty stuff except to say that if you don't get it re: wins the first 20 times I wrote about it, you never ever will.

Edited by Triumph

No, that isn't true at all. Salvador got more ice time than Volchenkov before he got the C. They used Volchenkov in a more limited role but I'm not sure he would be better than Salvador if he had to go out there for 20 minutes a night. That's an effect we don't really have a handle on.

They also used Salvador in a much bigger PK role than Fayne ever got, so that's why he would dress over Fayne.

Also I'm not going to address the Marty stuff except to say that if you don't get it re: wins the first 20 times I wrote about it, you never ever will.

Ugh, with Marty you are missing the frigging point, almost to the extent that the pro You Suck people do, and perhaps moreso. I am not saying that he was good his last two years, that he didn't get more starts than he deserved or whatever. The point was that he has accomplished stuff in his career that gets him a longer leash than almost anyone else, that I wouldn't go nuts over it, and in the end, he had an above .500 record in his last season, so it was a lucky break that he got good goal support.

If we were talking about Scott Stevens at the tail end of his career then I could live with him getting more ice time than he deserved, and would get it. But Salvador is not Scott Stevens and has not accomplished much in his NHL career, and may very well have been bought out or traded for spare parts at the deadline if he did not wear the "c" right now.

But ultimately, you're right and I should know better. Marty is the worst thing that ever happened to the Devils and perhaps the NHL. The Devils would have won nine Cups if they only had Thomas Vokoun, especially the last two years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see the Cammalleri-Elias-Havlat line tonight.   It seems like Elias has been paired with whoever we needed to "get going" for the last decade in an attempt to ice a decent second line, at least since the days of the EGG line.  I hope they gel quickly because the idea of having two guys who can actually finish to the level of Cammalleri and Havlat on a line with Elias has legitimate high end top line written all over it.   

Sign GOMEZ put him in as third line center. Move Henrique to wing with Elias and Havlet. Put Cammy with Zajac and Jagr. Switch between Henrique and Cammy as need but they are the locked top 6. With Gomez and JJ as the bottom 6 centers pick who you want from the collection as wings for the bottom 6. Lock in the bottom 6. Put in the best 2 remaining from the collection and the offense is locked at 14 players. Get rid of the rest somehow. This is doable

Sign GOMEZ put him in as third line center. Move Henrique to wing with Elias and Havlet. Put Cammy with Zajac and Jagr. Switch between Henrique and Cammy as need but they are the locked top 6. With Gomez and JJ as the bottom 6 centers pick who you want from the collection as wings for the bottom 6. Lock in the bottom 6. Put in the best 2 remaining from the collection and the offense is locked at 14 players. Get rid of the rest somehow. This is doable

ah yes, Scott Gomez- he who couldn't stick with the Florida panthers- he is the answer to all of our problems. All hail The Lord and savior Scott Gomez! How can Lou be so blind to the obvious truth!

Gomez sucks, he's not any better than gionta and won't make a difference. You're trying to shuffle turds to determine which one smells nicest. They all stink.

ah yes, Scott Gomez- he who couldn't stick with the Florida panthers- he is the answer to all of our problems. All hail The Lord and savior Scott Gomez! How can Lou be so blind to the obvious truth!

Gomez sucks, he's not any better than gionta and won't make a difference. You're trying to shuffle turds to determine which one smells nicest. They all stink.

amen, gomez had a pretty descent pre season but thats pre season against of a lot of other junk out there..i did not want him here enough of the old washed up ex devils coming back its time to sharpen the roster up if anything.

Anyone is better than Gionta. What you missed is Gomez let's Henrique move up to wing with Elias where he had success and gets Zubrus out of the top 6 I will take that every day to having Gionta play. Plus Cammy and Henrique become interchangeable between 1st and 2nd lines. Zubrus becomes a great bottom 6.

Anyone is better than Gionta. What you missed is Gomez let's Henrique move up to wing with Elias where he had success and gets Zubrus out of the top 6 I will take that every day to having Gionta play. Plus Cammy and Henrique become interchangeable between 1st and 2nd lines. Zubrus becomes a great bottom 6.

I did not miss a thing. I understand that's your motivation for inserting Gomez but it's not worth it. It would be just as effective to move either cammalleri or zubrus to center and we wouldn't have to worry about losing anyone on waivers.

The point still is the same- you're basically asking that josefson and Gomez replace tootoo and gionta in the lineup. This is classic shuffling of turds if there ever was one. It's the same thing we see around here after every losing streak... The problem with the team is not the 4th line, it's the inconsistency of the top 3 lines and especially the inconsistent defense.

Bottom line is we are a mediocre roster talent wise, putting henrique on the 2nd line and promoting Gomez to a prominent 3rd line role will only thin out our offense even more.

Edit: also want to add that if were 20 games in and we see still see some of these problems then sure make a change like you suggested, but we're five games in and have been pretty solid overall offensively, so it's still way too early for a move like this.

Edited by dmann422

Enough is enough. Lou and Pete must have a better lineup.

Clowe Zajac Jagr

Cammalleri Elias Havlat

Boucher Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gomez/Josefson Tootoo/Bernier

Greene Severson

Gelinas Larsson

Merril Zidlicky

The 4th line is the only line that needs fixing imo.  And where's Zubrus?

And the defense pairings I agree with.

Edited by Mike Brown

ryan who??.... ohh thats right our best piece of the fourth line that lou decided not to sign over gionta and that other piece of crap

Ryan Carter would've been a healthy scratch in every game had he been signed.  He rejected NJ's offer over the summer.  Get over it.

Ryan Carter would've been a healthy scratch in every game had he been signed.  He rejected NJ's offer over the summer.  Get over it.

na i wont.. because i would have given him both giontas salary and half of bernier's before i would've had either of those two back before him..carter signed with Minnesota for less than what gionta got out of this group..how was that justified? Now what do we have .. a gionta who is playing way more than what he has any business playing and dont even get me started on the pk.. as long as we continue to have dumboer making stupid ass decisions with personell we will continue to see performances last night.. because gionta should totally be out there on the ice when there is less than 2 minutes to go in the third in a tied game.. too bad we didnt make it to the shootout because pete probably wouldve selected him as the anchor man.

na i wont.. because i would have given him both giontas salary and half of bernier's before i would've had either of those two back before him..carter signed with Minnesota for less than what gionta got out of this group..how was that justified? Now what do we have .. a gionta who is playing way more than what he has any business playing and dont even get me started on the pk.. as long as we continue to have dumboer making stupid ass decisions with personell we will continue to see performances last night.. because gionta should totally be out there on the ice when there is less than 2 minutes to go in the third in a tied game.. too bad we didnt make it to the shootout because pete probably wouldve selected him as the anchor man.

Stephen Gionta had all of 8 minutes in last night's game, but yes, the 4th line is totally responsible for what happened last night.  

With 2 minutes left in a tie game, getting to overtime is way better than going for the win and possibly risking the loss.  Stephen Gionta is a low-event player - team doesn't score much when he's on the ice but other teams don't score much either.  I'd prefer him to either Brunner, Ryder, or the damaged Havlat we had last night on defense.

na i wont.. because i would have given him both giontas salary and half of bernier's before i would've had either of those two back before him..carter signed with Minnesota for less than what gionta got out of this group..how was that justified? 

He turned down MORE MONEY from the Devils. He signed for peanuts with Minnesota because he had no other choice. He messed up, and had to take less money.

Does every fan base find the 4th line left wing this big of a deal?

He turned down MORE MONEY from the Devils. He signed for peanuts with Minnesota because he had no other choice. He messed up, and had to take less money.

its not about finding the fourth line left winger "a big deal" .. its a matter of the order in which they were signed... how do you know how much money he was offered from NJ? i dont recall that coming out anywhere?

No just the ones where the 4th line left wings become a folk hero in a long playoff run and score timely goals against your big rival.