T-Devs on Thin Ice

LousBallsack

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw on Chris Creamer's Sports Logos the other day that the ECHL trademarked the old Titans logo. It most likely means nothing, but perhaps they're reverting back to the Titans?

Edit:

http://www.sportslogos.net/blog/2011/06/27/bills-unis-nhl-alignment-echl-nba/

Anyone remember the Trenton Titans? They used to play in the ECHL? Became the Trenton Devils? Anyways, out of nowhere the ECHL registered the Trenton Titans name again on June 21, 2011 – no logo in the registration but it was described as such, “The mark consists of a hockey player wearing a helmet and carrying a hockey stick leaping over a bridge over the words “TRENTON” and “TITANS”.”

Either the ECHL is getting in the business of selling retro merchandise or the Devils are becoming the Titans once again!

Edited by RSC

I saw on Chris Creamer's Sports Logos the other day that the ECHL trademarked the old Titans logo. It most likely means nothing, but perhaps they're reverting back to the Titans?

Edit:

http://www.sportslog...nment-echl-nba/

That might not be a bad idea. As much as I love the "Devils" name, there is no reason that all our minor league teams need to be called "Devils."

Status quo, killed off another market. Should of stuck to ruining AHL cities. So much for that 10 year commitment. Guess nobody saw this coming. Apparently they did find somebody to buy them now it's just a question of if they were bought as part of a bigger deal and will be folded. Rest easy Albany things will be different for you guys.

Edited by titans04

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye……..

Actually, I think naming the team the Devils in Flyer country was only the second dumbest thing they did. The dumbest thing was to also centralize what marketing they did in Flyer country. I mean, Burlington county? Courting Phantoms fans?

Did they not hear of a small town up route 1 called New Brunswick? Why they didn’t push there makes no sense…it sells itself. Go to areas where Devils fans live and offer them a low cost opportunity to support their favorite franchise. But no, we’re going to pull home games and play in Atlantic Freaking City which is a hockey wasteland and what fans are there gravitate towards the Flyers.

The Trenton front office did what they could with what they had, which was not much on all counts.

The Devils’ management of their minor league franchises is an embarrassment to hockey and they should get out of the business entirely and just sign affiliate agreements. Let people who actually give a crap about the markets they are in run the things. They are, indeed, a Mickey Mouse organization when it comes to their treatment of their minor league franchises. They ran it right into the freakin’ ground so far they’re speaking Chinese.

I wish it goes back to the Titans. As a kid I remember going to many more of these games, especially the lockout year when the Titans won the Kelly cup. A Mike Haviland coached team. And bring back the Bullies those games were awesome!

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Actually, I think naming the team the Devils in Flyer country was only the second dumbest thing they did. The dumbest thing was to also centralize what marketing they did in Flyer country. I mean, Burlington county? Courting Phantoms fans?

Did they not hear of a small town up route 1 called New Brunswick? Why they didn’t push there makes no sense…it sells itself. Go to areas where Devils fans live and offer them a low cost opportunity to support their favorite franchise. But no, we’re going to pull home games and play in Atlantic Freaking City which is a hockey wasteland and what fans are there gravitate towards the Flyers.

If they promoted the team in New Brunswick they'd be competing with themselves. No way does Lou allow people from their own market find out about a cheap and entertaining alternative to the NHL team. They tried to block the Rockin Rollers from playing in the Meadowlands in 1994 in fear that they'd lose fans to them.

This mess has Lou written all over it. This was his idea to have complete control of all the teams and he convinced Vanderbeek to do it. I'm sure Vanderbeek has had it with the teams bleeding money and finally stood up to Lou and is ending this disaster. The same person that told me Lou's days are numbered said this was one of the many things leading up to him possibly being shown the door. Apparently that can't happen till the NHL ownership is in order but since this is indeed happening his power is slowly being taken away from him.

No question this one lies right at Lou’s doorstep. I’m deadly serious when I say unless you’ve actually been attending games down here you don’t know how badly they’ve screwed the pooch down here. I’m fervently hoping they found a buyer who realizes the market isn’t the problem, it was the idiots in Newark pulling the strings that set the whole thing up to fail. It’s abundantly obvious that getting some players for the A (and a coach) was all Lou cared about and the rest could go to hell…which it did.

The Devils’ management of their minor league franchises is an embarrassment to hockey and they should get out of the business entirely and just sign affiliate agreements. Let people who actually give a crap about the markets they are in run the things. They are, indeed, a Mickey Mouse organization when it comes to their treatment of their minor league franchises. They ran it right into the freakin’ ground so far they’re speaking Chinese.

They couldn't even get that right. Their first go-around in Albany is rife with tales of Lou meddling with local management's attempts to run the show.

It's the New Jersey Devils, not North Jersey. It makes since to expand your brand throughout the state. Mercer County is not in South Jersey and Trenton is the state capital of NJ. Problem is the team isn't that good and like the big boys, they aren't well marketed. And changing the name was a dumb idea.

One of the things Lou spouted off about was wanting to ‘grow the Devils brand’. Well the impression left in this area is Devils = cheap & don’t give a crap.

Nice job Lou, nice job. The Flyers thank you for growing their fanbase.

I had high hopes – after all if they really wanted to grow the brand in hostile territory they would have to spend money and really work at it. We’re right down the turnpike; scooting players on IR down for a signing seemed to be a given. More tie ins to the big club seemed obvious. All a big smoke screen, there was never any intent to do any of that. We barely got a Devils’ alumni game and when we did as usual no one knew about it.

One of the biggest – maybe THE biggest – crowds in T Devil history was the night they retired Scott Bertoli’s jersey. The place was rocking with people chanting…Let’s Go Titans.

Which pretty much says all you need to know right there.

It's the New Jersey Devils, not North Jersey. It makes since to expand your brand throughout the state. Mercer County is not in South Jersey and Trenton is the state capital of NJ. Problem is the team isn't that good and like the big boys, they aren't well marketed. And changing the name was a dumb idea.

Expanding the brand is great, you don't expand into enemy territory without making them like you. They've done the opposite....even Devils' fans down here are hoping someone who cares buys the team. I'm being completely serious.

Move them to the Ice Vault or South Mountain Arena if they plan on keepin' a ECHL team. Seems like a better destination IMO rather then the Flyer territory they are at now.

Umm I think you need a lot more seats than those locations provide.