T-Devs on Thin Ice

LousBallsack

I really don't know what you expected honestly. It's a AA hockey program. I've been to many games and I always had fun. People in this area do not support minor league hockey at all and never will which is a shame. I'm sure we will see Albany relocate yet again soon.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their biggest crowd last year was 4,686 - they didn't crack 2,000 15 times.

I've only been to maybe 150 Trenton games in a dozen cities - but what the hell do I know.

4,686 is around 5,000.

It doesn't matter. I still enjoyed going to the games regardless of how many people were there.

Or, perhaps this was a crafty move by Vanderbeek and company to buy the team and then close them down on purpose so that they fans would defect to NJ Devils hockey. Kinda lame, however, if that was the case as those fans would feel alienated. But, from a business stand-point, closing down the competition is done daily by big corporations...Vanderbeek isn't stupid, and would use that principle in his hockey operations too...

Problem is the team was in Flyers country. They aren't defecting...

Edited by mac760

A scout night last year had an announced attendance of around 5,000 people, and the arena certainly looked to be about, if not more, than 2/3 full.

95% of the people on this board have never been to a Trenton Devils game and no nothing about them, so stop throwing around blame and late criticisms.

There are at least 3 members posting in this thread that forgot more about Trenton hockey then you, i, or most Devils fans know. Instead of attacking, you should listen to what they have to say.

BTW...they are correct.

Fact of the matter is that it's literally going to take decades to gain new fans down here in South Jersey. It's not some 5 year project, it literally has to be a commitment for decades. While I think EVERYONE born in the state of New Jersey should be a Devils fan, I don't expect someone already born a fan of another team to just switch. Also, you all keep saying they did a sh!tty job running Trenton, but what exactly did you want them to do differently? Knock of people's doors and beg them to come?

Edited by hurricane1091

There are at least 3 members posting in this thread that forgot more about Trenton hockey then you, i, or most Devils fans know. Instead of attacking, you should listen to what they have to say.

BTW...they are correct.

I have a game worn Ryan Ginand Trenton jersey for sale. Asking for $1,500 OBO

Probably not. Philly jumped ship for a reason. New Jersey SAVED the team.

Good for you, put a "C" on it and you can wear it as Captain of the Supporters.

I see you're not much of a supporter for the developing affliates. I'll come back to you after Ginand scores a goal in the NHL and see what your offer is then!

I see you're not much of a supporter for the developing affliates. I'll come back to you after Ginand scores a goal in the NHL and see what your offer is then!

Philly didn't own the team.

Philly fully expected the Titans to fold so that they could swoop into the market and put the Phantoms there without having to actually purchase the rights to arena via the Titans.

The Devils may have saved the ECHL franchise but they did so out of spite.

Simple question: If the franchise kept the name 'Titans', would they still be playing hockey?

Not likely. Granted, changing the name was a mistake, but it was merely the first of many.

I can't answer that question, but that probably wasn't much of an option. Why keep the same name when you're buying the team from an arch-rival?

What did "Titans" have to do with "Flyers"? And they were already in Devils colors, albeit unintentionally.

The titans seemed to heve a pretty developed team and fanbase until the Devils came in.

The main theme of this thread is how the Devils took a franchise that just won the Kelly Cup and flushed them down the toilet with mis-management. I really hope they do continue operations, even someplace else, but with some more responsibility on the executive level.

Why was a team that just won the Kelly Cup for sale in the first place? The problems were mounting before NJ ever got involved. I'm thankful they extended ECHL hockey in the state capital, even if it was just for five years. Renaming it to the Devils made the games a little more interesting for me as well.

And how were they supposed to expand Devils hockey further south by leaving the name the same? The fan base isn't there and that's all there is to it. Albany is last in the league in the AHL, and the big club isn't that far from the bottom in the NHL either.

The ECHL doesn't function in that manner. But you are such an expert so you should know that.

"The ECHL, along with the AHL, are the only minor leagues recognized by the collective bargaining agreement between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association, meaning any player signed to an entry-level NHL contract and designated for assignment must report to a club either in the AHL or the ECHL."

Whatever. I'm sure thats the reason Trenton failed. Right? Sarcastic piece of sh!t.

"The ECHL, along with the AHL, are the only minor leagues recognized by the collective bargaining agreement between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association, meaning any player signed to an entry-level NHL contract and designated for assignment must report to a club either in the AHL or the ECHL."

Whatever. I'm sure thats the reason Trenton failed. Right? Sarcastic piece of sh!t.

his point, which you failed to try to understand, was that hockey's minor leagues don't function like baseball, where drafted players move steadily through the ranks. the echl is something else entirely, and the devils trying to use it in this baseball way was part of why the team failed.

The only reserve list players who play in the ECHL are failures, goalies, and goons. It's not a developmental league, even if it pretends to be one. Hell the player that is most likely to develop is the ECHL/AHL only signing who works his way up the ladder.