Devils sign Eric Boulton

iamtheprodigy

Thought about this last night, too. Moving out Zubrus and keeping Clarkson, Palmieri, Boulton, Janssen...that'd be a much "tougher" team to play against each night.

I was also thinking about trends in hockey and the role of "toughness" and fighters. Teams tend to model themselves after Cup champions, and when the Cup winners are a "tough" team, that can impact off-season moves. After Anaheim won the Cup in 2006-2007 with a team that loved to fight, Devils already had Rupp on the roster and signed Arron Asham to a deal. On top of that, 2007-08 was Clarkson's first full season with the team. They did trade away Janssen before that season, but I think that was more reflective of roster issues (room for Rupp & Clarkson) and the need for another established defender.

This year the Bruins won the Cup with a guy like Shawn Thornton playing a vital role. He brought energy, toughness, and aggressive play...really kicked the team into a different gear when he hit the ice. Add into that Adam McQuaid, Nathan Horton, Milan Lucic, even Gregory Campbell, and of course Zdeno Chara...that's a tough team.

If you ask me, these moves show that Lou thinks the road through the East means going through Boston. Or, at the least, that he took something away from watching the Bruins wear down the Canucks in the finals, and thinks the Devils are now better suited to playing that way if needed (vs. Capitals, etc). Theoretically, this gives the Devils flexibility in the style of game they play.

how is zubrus not tough to play against? sure he's not running guys over but neither is palmieri - he's winning pucks in the corner.

anyway a zubrus trade would leave NJ with absolutely no depth on right wing. while i think tedenby is an nhl player, i don't know if palmieri is, and clarkson can't take on tough matchups. the good thing about zubrus is that he can play effectively on a parise-zajac or rolston-elias line - he's versatile if nothing else. clarkson has to be kept away from offensive lines because when he plays with them he still tries to toe drag and shoot the puck from 50 feet out instead of passing.

coldply: steckel? where is steckel going? pelley cannot play center in the nhl, it's been proven time and time again.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how is zubrus not tough to play against? sure he's not running guys over but neither is palmieri - he's winning pucks in the corner.

anyway a zubrus trade would leave NJ with absolutely no depth on right wing. while i think tedenby is an nhl player, i don't know if palmieri is, and clarkson can't take on tough matchups. the good thing about zubrus is that he can play effectively on a parise-zajac or rolston-elias line - he's versatile if nothing else. clarkson has to be kept away from offensive lines because when he plays with them he still tries to toe drag and shoot the puck from 50 feet out instead of passing.

coldply: steckel? where is steckel going? pelley cannot play center in the nhl, it's been proven time and time again.

Would you agree that I think the ideal scenario is to trade Rolston? But who will take him..

Would you agree that I think the ideal scenario is to trade Rolston? But who will take him..

Cap Geek has a cool Race to the Floor feature. The Islanders have room cap and roster wise and it wouldn't require Rolston to have to move so far. I don't know if Lou could package that extra 5th they got in the Leblond deal for a later pick or fringe prospect in return.

I'd ideally like to keep both Zubrus and Clarkson but if I had to trade one of them, its Clarkson without a doubt. I don't buy that Zubrus isn't tough to play against. Sure he doesn't fight as much but he has no problem dropping them if he has to and I think he uses his frame pretty well on the boards. Not to mention he's a much better player than Clarkson overall. I think he's much more worth his cap hit than Clarkson is worth his.

I would really be disappointing to see Zurbrus leave. This guys is maybe not a fighter (dropping gloves), but he really is a tough guy to play against. Going into the corner against Zubrus is nothing easy since like Fiesty said he uses his frame pretty well on the boards.

Also I think this guy was the only player on the team going out and playing with his heart during the first half of the season last year and also one of the only guys that gave everything he got in these playoffs against the Flyers in 2009-2010.

I know its maybe necessary cap-wise to trade the guy, but I really would hate to see a heart guy who give you everything he got out there leave.

Didn't expect this after the Janssen signing. At least the Devils will be tougher next year. My initial thoughts are this means Clarkson is gone, but it could be that Clarkson can focus on offense and not being the team's enforcer.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

I think Clarkson and Steckel are goners. I don't see reason to move Pelley. He'll fit on the 4th line.

I think Clarkson and Steckel are goners. I don't see reason to move Pelley. He'll fit on the 4th line.

Lou definitely has something in the works trade-wise. No doubt about that now.

Were is Steckle going? I see more reason to out Pelly then Steckle.

Oh for fvck's sake.

I REALLY don't like Eric Boulton. He certainly does not strike me as a prototypical Devil as far as his game and attitude go. I always held him in the same esteem as Jesse Boulerice.

Maybe it's a signing to make sure Cam doesn't get complacent. I hope. I'm conflicted here, this is the first time in quite a while (probably since before Gomez left) that the Devils have had a player that I just really don't like.

So why is it you dont like Boulton? The guy can play hockey, when he was in Buffalo he was strickly an enforcer. When he went to Atlanta he paid he dues and showed the coaches there he could play a regular shift and not be a liability on the ice. He has proven that he is a defensive player and can chip in offensivly. At one point last year he was a plus 11 on a team that wasnt doing very well. Once slater got hurt and the coach started messing with lines everything started going down hill. He is a good energy guy great leader and will do what ever the team asks of him and wont let other teams push around the skilled players. Anyone that thinks he cant fight looking at his fights last year with ernskine and calkner he always shows up. He doesnt always win by a landslide but he never loose bad either he has marathon fights. He will deffinatly help the Devils

So why is it you dont like Boulton? The guy can play hockey, when he was in Buffalo he was strickly an enforcer. When he went to Atlanta he paid he dues and showed the coaches there he could play a regular shift and not be a liability on the ice. He has proven that he is a defensive player and can chip in offensivly. At one point last year he was a plus 11 on a team that wasnt doing very well. Once slater got hurt and the coach started messing with lines everything started going down hill. He is a good energy guy great leader and will do what ever the team asks of him and wont let other teams push around the skilled players. Anyone that thinks he cant fight looking at his fights last year with ernskine and calkner he always shows up. He doesnt always win by a landslide but he never loose bad either he has marathon fights. He will deffinatly help the Devils

With Boulton and Janssen we definitely got tougher, something Lou has been saying the last few years he was gonna do and never did. I believe the end of last season Lou said we're gonna get tougher and harder to play against this year, and we just did with these signings. The Devils will once again be feared in the East like the "Crash Line" days. At least that's what I hope.

With Boulton and Janssen we definitely got tougher, something Lou has been saying the last few years he was gonna do and never did. I believe the end of last season Lou said we're gonna get tougher and harder to play against this year, and we just did with these signings. The Devils will once again be feared in the East like the "Crash Line" days. At least that's what I hope.

It's too early to say this because we don't know what other moves are coming. Maybe now we are "tougher", but if we trade away Clarkson and/or Zubrus then I don't think we are any tougher and we also downgraded in terms of skill. So before we can say we're tougher or harder to play against, we need to wait and see what happens next.

It's too early to say this because we don't know what other moves are coming. Maybe now we are "tougher", but if we trade away Clarkson and/or Zubrus then I don't think we are any tougher and we also downgraded in terms of skill. So before we can say we're tougher or harder to play against, we need to wait and see what happens next.

True, I honestly don't think Clarkson is going anywhere. Lou signed him for a reason with the money he is making. Like I said earlier they want him to focus on his game/instigating not fighting. He does have skill even though most on here don't see it. His puck handling skills are good and he's good along the boards. He rarely comes out of the corners without the puck. Maybe I'm a Clarkson homer but the guy has class and skill IMO. He's not a #6 player but can fill in when needed. Also, playing coach advocate he needs to be on the 2nd PP unit in front of the goalie. Just my opinion...

True, I honestly don't think Clarkson is going anywhere. Lou signed him for a reason with the money he is making. Like I said earlier they want him to focus on his game/instigating not fighting. He does have skill even though most on here don't see it. His puck handling skills are good and he's good along the boards. He rarely comes out of the corners without the puck. Maybe I'm a Clarkson homer but the guy has class and skill IMO. He's not a #6 player but can fill in when needed. Also, playing coach advocate he needs to be on the 2nd PP unit in front of the goalie. Just my opinion...

I think you are right on this one Clarkson is not going anywhere with the signing of Boulton it free up Clarkson to play his game and not worry about having to fight. Yes fighting is a part of Clarkson's game but now he doesnt have to. Clarkson could be a 20 goal plus a year type of player. Should be fun to watch him this year when he has some back up when things get greasy.

I think you are right on this one Clarkson is not going anywhere with the signing of Boulton it free up Clarkson to play his game and not worry about having to fight. Yes fighting is a part of Clarkson's game but now he doesnt have to. Clarkson could be a 20 goal plus a year type of player. Should be fun to watch him this year when he has some back up when things get greasy.

Well that's the thing with Clarkson. When he's allowed to play "his game" he does a great job. By "his game" I mean instigating, being a pest and all that comes with that. Yes he'll fight and does a good job doing so, but that's only part of his game. He needs to be allowed to be a feisty player for him to exceed at his game. When he plays with an edge thats when he's the most effective. When he was told to stop playing with that edge and because of his time out on IR is when he became ineffective IMO. Next year he'll put up those goals and p!ss ppl off. No way he gets traded.

Sorry for Clarkson rant in a Boulton thread. Back on topic. I can't wait till first game against Flyers with Boulton and Janssen beating some b!tches up!

Well I am for one new to this site and will be there for the home opener. Either Boulton or Janssen will be taking on Shelly thats if he is cleared to play. He is one punch away from retirement. He takes one more good shot on the button and he will be eating jello most of the season.

I don't really agree that the reason Clarkson's offensive game slipped is because he was too focused on fighting. Compare these two seasons:

2008-09 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 17 15 32 164 -1

2010-11 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 12 6 18 116 -20

Now I don't know exactly how many fighting majors occurred but it's pretty clear that he fought more in 08-09 and still had a much better year offensively. I know that everybody's numbers were down last year so that is a factor but the point is, fighting doesn't have that big of an effect on his offensive production. More important is probably who he is playing with and how many minutes he is playing. If he's on the 4th line with Steckel and some scrub, odds are he's not putting up 20 goals.

Well I am for one new to this site and will be there for the home opener. Either Boulton or Janssen will be taking on Shelly thats if he is cleared to play. He is one punch away from retirement. He takes one more good shot on the button and he will be eating jello most of the season.

Welcome.

I don't really agree that the reason Clarkson's offensive game slipped is because he was too focused on fighting. Compare these two seasons:

2008-09 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 17 15 32 164 -1

2010-11 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 12 6 18 116 -20

Now I don't know exactly how many fighting majors occurred but it's pretty clear that he fought more in 08-09 and still had a much better year offensively. I know that everybody's numbers were down last year so that is a factor but the point is, fighting doesn't have that big of an effect on his offensive production. More important is probably who he is playing with and how many minutes he is playing. If he's on the 4th line with Steckel and some scrub, odds are he's not putting up 20 goals.

Welcome.

My point wasn't really to his fighting totals. Clarkson plays better when he's allowed to play his game, which is with his instigating. From what I've seen/believe he was told to stop that, his game dropped. He plays best when he plays HIS game which is instigating and yes the toe drag and the Clarkaround. I can't really explain what I really mean in typing. I'm sure you all know what I'm trying to get at though.