New Devils Financial News

njdevil26

Neither do our fans. And the Joe is still located in an awful part of downtown according to folks who have been there(including Red Wing fans).

It's not located within downtown, it's located in one of the rougher areas of the city. Even Devils fans who have been there say it's much worse than where our arena is located. As far as the subway, distance between the arena and station(which has 1 line) is longer than the distance between the Rock and Penn Station.

What about the fans using Metrolink coming through E. St. Louis and others? St. Louis is still ranked near the top of most dangerous cities in the nation like Detroit.

Also borders South LA and prostitution remains a problem outside the LA Live area. Folks coming in from the south have to go through bad areas too.

Sorry, is there a Macy's next to the Joe or United Center? What you just described on Market Street is what you described for the areas immediately surrounding the Joe United Center, even north and east of the Verizon Center(been there 2008 and 2009, I can vouch for this). As shabby as that area is, it's not the heart of the bad area, that would be further west. And why would you make a turn up Clinton Avenue when you have 21, Broad Street and the trains to take?

The subway is 2 blocks away with a line that has a station in Bloomfield with a park/ride. How is it not useable?

If you honestly believe Ironbound is the ONLY good area of the city you're kidding yourself. I've been throughout the city, live closeby and that statement is so ignorant it's not even funny. Most of North Newark would like a word with you.

I'll admit there there are some live-able areas in North Newark by the cathedral and the park... but it's the overall point that you're missing. New York City is where everyone wants to be. There are some sketchy areas in the Bronx, Alphabet City, Brooklyn, and so on. That is never going to deter anyone from going to a sporting event because the MASS of people that are around. There are always people going everywhere at all hours. That's what makes people feel safe on the subways, buses, and walking around. Same with Chicago, St Louis, DC, and the other cities we're talking about. Chicago, DC, and LA are located in cities that have very nice and expensive living and shopping neighborhoods with a good metro system to take them right to the front door of the arena. In those markets, they aren't competing with other cities for sports fans. Besides us die hard Devils fans, who the hell would rather go hang out in Newark instead of New York City. In the southern half of the state, who would rather go to Newark than drive or take a train to Philly? Philly has some messed up crime ridden areas as well but it also has a handful of nice neighborhoods with bars, restaurants, loft apartments, museums, attractions, and so on.

For the North Ward of Newark, would you take a stroll through Branch Brook park at night?

Yeah, St Louis has some awful areas. East St Louis makes Newark look like a resort. But it's a metro area with no immediate competition as far as sports markets. There are a lot of things to do in St Louis where one wouldn't have to worry about crime and being in a bad area. The metro area is 2.9 million people as well. Anyone coming from the E STL side is going to be on a highway coming down into the downtown area. NO ONE is driving down State St and Collinsville Ave in ESTL to get to Blues games. You'd be on Rt 55, 64, 40 and so on.

Do you know anyone that has taken the subway in Newark for a game? For any reason? I'm just curious... not really trying to prove a point. Just because I don't know anyone that has ever even considered that an option to be honest.

Detroit is in a class of its own. There is an attendance issue there. No matter what they announce as the attendance number, there are a lot of empty seats. They need a new building with modern amenities BADLY.

I guess what I'm trying to get you to understand is that refusing to travel to a city because of its crime and reputation is LIGHT YEARS different in Newark than any of your other examples.

Two things:

Joe Louis is not in a safe area.

If you are driving to Verizon Center from the East, you will go through much worse neighborhoods than anything you see on 21 in either direction.

If you're in DC why would you be driving to the Verizon Center? I know what neighborhoods you are talking about. I've been there a bunch of times. If you're coming from Virginia, you can park in Alexandria and take the metro to the arena. If you are in Maryland, then you have the luxury of being able to park in Georgetown or Chevy Chase.

Again not my point anyway. If you are visiting DC for a game... it is an area that you can get there on a Saturday morning, see the sights, check out a museum, restaurants, historical venues, and so on and then have a nice dinner at HUNDREDS of restaurants before going to the arena for the game.

Also, give Karl (Vic Rattlehead) a break. He's coming off wrong. What he's trying to say is that he works at the arena as an usher and he observes almost every basketball game there where he notices that the demographic is not the diverse Newark locals. It's suburbanites and corporate types. Just having a basketball team in Newark does not mean that the ticket prices are going to be low enough for the Newark locals to attend the games. He's a good friend of mine and he's not a racist jerk nor is he trying to be. It's hard to talk about a subject like that without being questioned about how you come off.

Also, give Karl (Vic Rattlehead) a break. He's coming off wrong. What he's trying to say is that he works at the arena as an usher and he observes almost every basketball game there where he notices that the demographic is not the diverse Newark locals. It's suburbanites and corporate types. Just having a basketball team in Newark does not mean that the ticket prices are going to be low enough for the Newark locals to attend the games. He's a good friend of mine and he's not a racist jerk nor is he trying to be. It's hard to talk about a subject like that without being questioned about how you come off.

Sorry dude. You are in the wrong. Comments like that do not deserve a break either. Noticing the demographic is not diverse is not what he said at all.

The Morris-Dover line is joke getting to Newark. First, it lets you off at Broad Street Station, then you need to catch a bus to the Rock. It takes close to an hour on the train, and it costs each person almost as much to take the train as it does to park. I drive from Parsippany and get to the arena is less than a 1/2 hour. The train may be a better option from places in Monmouth and Middlesex Counties, but not from most of Morris County. But that's why they chose to build in Newark to begin with, it provides everyone with an option to get there.

My wife and i take the train from Morris County to games. While it takes a good hour, it is more convienient for us as we both work/live in the area. We can drive there faster, but we prefer relaxing/eating on the train after a long day. We've never driven to a game and never will. The cost is relative. I'd rather spend the $ to ride a train then the same amount to drive anyday.

Why take the bus to the Rock? Take the light rail, too.

If you're in DC why would you be driving to the Verizon Center? I know what neighborhoods you are talking about. I've been there a bunch of times. If you're coming from Virginia, you can park in Alexandria and take the metro to the arena. If you are in Maryland, then you have the luxury of being able to park in Georgetown or Chevy Chase.

Because driving might be more convenient than parking and taking the Metro? Especially coming from the East? You can do the same for Newark - park all over the place and take NJ Transit or the PATH to the game.

Again not my point anyway. If you are visiting DC for a game... it is an area that you can get there on a Saturday morning, see the sights, check out a museum, restaurants, historical venues, and so on and then have a nice dinner at HUNDREDS of restaurants before going to the arena for the game.

Sure, and I won't debate that, but what I will say is that the arena surrounding Verizon Center was a dump when it was built.

Sorry dude. You are in the wrong. Comments like that do not deserve a break either. Noticing the demographic is not diverse is not what he said at all.

I understand... regardless of what he said I'm just defending my friend because I know he's not like that.

Because driving might be more convenient than parking and taking the Metro? Especially coming from the East? You can do the same for Newark - park all over the place and take NJ Transit or the PATH to the game.

Sure, and I won't debate that, but what I will say is that the arena surrounding Verizon Center was a dump when it was built.

It sure was a dump. I just hope they have a good plan with Newark and the Devils can hold on financially until it starts to take shape. The Richardson Lofts is a big step in the right direction as well along with the hotel. But plopping a couple bars around the arena is not going to fix the area. I really have no idea what they are planning to do. The area around the Verizon Center was easier to transform because people wanted to be in DC regardless. Who wants to go to Newark and why?

For the North Ward of Newark, would you take a stroll through Branch Brook park at night?
Unless there's an event there's no reason to. Would you take a stroll through Central Park at night when there's been robberies, muggings, rapes throughout the park?
The metro area is 2.9 million people as well. Anyone coming from the E STL side is going to be on a highway coming down into the downtown area. NO ONE is driving down State St and Collinsville Ave in ESTL to get to Blues games. You'd be on Rt 55, 64, 40 and so on.

The metro area of Newark has over 4 million people. And NO ONE is driving down Clinton Ave, South Orange Ave or Springfield Aves to get to a game either.

Do you know anyone that has taken the subway in Newark for a game? For any reason? I'm just curious... not really trying to prove a point. Just because I don't know anyone that has ever even considered that an option to be honest.

The times I've been in Bloomfield I've noticed folks with Devils jerseys board the train from the parking lot at Grove Street during the pm rush. And a couple of years ago after a Friday night game when I decided to take the subway up from Penn Station to Broad Street the train was PACKED with fans going to Bloomfield. Probably holds true today.

Edited by Marv4Life

Unless there's an event there's no reason to. Would you take a stroll through Central Park at night when there's been robberies, muggings, rapes throughout the park?

The metro area of Newark has over 4 million people. And NO ONE is driving down Clinton Ave, South Orange Ave or Springfield Aves to get to a game either.

The times I've been in Bloomfield I've noticed folks with Devils jerseys board the train at Grove Street during the pm rush. And a couple of years ago after a Friday night game when I decided to take the subway up from Penn Station to Broad Street the train was PACKED with fans going to Bloomfield. Probably holds true today.

I really don't consider Newark to have a "Metro area." It's the New York City metro area. You have an area spanning from Connecticut down to Southeastern PA, Delaware, and so on with millions and millions of people who had their minds made up about what team to support long before Newark became relevant to any hockey fan.

Really, how do you know somneone is Jewish? Do you check drivers licenses along with tickets? Or do you stand there and look at facial features and study people like some sort of creep and make assumptions?

No excuse right there for that comment.

Ken... an attempt at a humerus question. How do you tell if someone's Jewish by checking their drivers license?

I'm missing the punchline to this joke? LOL

You said "How do you know if someone is Jewish, do you ask to see their drivers license along with tickets?"

So I was thinking... how do you check someones drivers license and determine if they are Jewish. If their name ends in -gold, -stein, or -berg or something? lol.

You said "How do you know if someone is Jewish, do you ask to see their drivers license along with tickets?"

So I was thinking... how do you check someones drivers license and determine if they are Jewish. If their name ends in -gold, -stein, or -berg or something? lol.

Well, i had a client first thing this morning that had a last name of O'Leary. I guess it's not too difficult to figure out there's Irish blood to an extent there lol.

It sure was a dump. I just hope they have a good plan with Newark and the Devils can hold on financially until it starts to take shape. The Richardson Lofts is a big step in the right direction as well along with the hotel. But plopping a couple bars around the arena is not going to fix the area. I really have no idea what they are planning to do. The area around the Verizon Center was easier to transform because people wanted to be in DC regardless. Who wants to go to Newark and why?

It won't fix the city but it could fix the area by replacing what was there with folks who won't tolerate crap in their area. There's a noticeable difference between 2007 and now, and with the Marriott and Indigo currently going up nearby it's going to get better. Go into "The Rock" section on here for details. There's already upscale housing nearby with Eleven80 and a couple of others so it's not like it was completely unlivable.

For downtown Newark you have a large transit network, Fortune 500 companies, an arena, a performing arts center, museum, and colleges all close to each other, things other cities nationwide can't say they have. Why not take advantage of it?

You could drive to South Orange, park for free and spend much less on transit. You could also take 287 towards one of the Raritan Valley stations and go straight into Penn Station.

Yet attendance has gone up since the move, like it or not. Haven't you heard of Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, D.C. and LA? Do fans stay away based on the crime in those cities?

you cant say that.. you gotta realize that those cities you listed all have a large population that makes up for it.. and those cities dont have three other teams playing within an hour and a half's drive

That is a terrible example I'm sorry. Those are major cities with safe and dangerous neighborhoods with metropolitan areas spanning many millions of people. There are between NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, and MLB there are 15 pro sports teams within a 2 hour drive of my house. Compare that to 4 in Detroit, 5 in Chicago, 3 in St Louis, 5 in DC, and 5 in LA (2 MLS, 1 NHL, 2 NBA).

Fans in Detroit never have to go through Hamtramck and awful sections of the city to get to Red Wings games.

In Chicago, there's a massive mass transit system. The arena is also on W Madison street which is a short drive from the downtown area with the skyscrapers and stuff.

Fans in STL don't have to go through East STL and and the southern part of the city where it's rough. The arena is right in the downtown area.

DC has the cleanest metro in the country.

Same with LA. The Staples Center is located directly downtown and is surrounded by attractions, businesses, and tons of people.

In ALL of these cases, the metro system and highways make it so you would never know these ghettos and dangerous areas even exist.

In Newark, you're going right into the heart of the bad area. Have you been down Market St? Where those other cities you mentioned would have nice restaurants, Macys and other upscale retail, and expensive apartments, Newark has discount shoes, ghetto clothing, gated and boarded buildings, and not one building that is under 50 years old it seems. If you're on Broad St and make ONE wrong turn up Clinton Ave... you are immediately in one of the most dangerous areas of the country. The subway is not usable for the Prudential Center. Ironbound aside, there's nowhere for hockey fans to even live in Newark.

Besides Ironbound, Newark is a garbage dump. If you're not going to a game or out to eat in Ironbound, there's no reason to ever go there. If you find yourself on any South numbered street when the sun goes down, you might as well slit your wrists on the sidewalk and leave your car unlocked to be taken.

Every city has bad areas... but in this case, Newark IS A BAD AREA all together.

I did it a few times on Saturdays when I wanted to drink and not worry about having to drive... but the Rock is a 15 minute drive from my house. We, EVERY TIME, get free parking on the street. For me, at least, driving is cheaper and easier.

Im sorry but theres so much in this post that is incorrect. I wouldnt know where to start in pointing out whats not right with it, and nor would i have the time...so excuse my not really adding much to this discussion...but i had to at least point out a big 'HUH??' to this one.

I did it a few times on Saturdays when I wanted to drink and not worry about having to drive... but the Rock is a 15 minute drive from my house. We, EVERY TIME, get free parking on the street. For me, at least, driving is cheaper and easier.

Where do you get free parking on the street? I tried to find them but they are either pretty far or just already taken.

you cant say that.. you gotta realize that those cities you listed all have a large population that makes up for it.. and those cities dont have three other teams playing within an hour and a half's drive

The high populations still don't stop 2 them from being ranked at the top of the list in most dangerous cities: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dangerous-cities-2011-9#1-flint-mich-25. And competition from the other teams wasn't the point.

The high populations still don't stop 2 them from being ranked at the top of the list in most dangerous cities: http://www.businessi...-flint-mich-25. And competition from the other teams wasn't the point.

Not clicking on your link but just looking at the address.... good example right there. People stopped going to see the Flint Tropics because the condition that Flint was in. I mean that was back in the days when you could trade a washing machine for a point guard!

It really is up to the City of Newark to have a master plan to re-develop the area around the arena, and provide the incentives for private developers to follow through with the projects, much the same way DC did when the Verizon Center was built. But it takes time, and the economy being in the toilet hasn't helped spur any private development short of a few bars here and there.