Zach contract question

ghdi

im getting so nervous reading those interviews

but i guess its good that our kids are doing great right now it shows zach that there's a good future ahead of us

also has a LW what you look at is who am i gonna play with? im pretty sure Zach feel safe in NJ cause he knows he can easily play with Henrique, Zajac and Elias with no problem.

Edited by SterioDesign

We are only a week into the year, but if Lou doesn't make contact before the end of the Allstar break, we can probably consider Zach UFA. And then all bets are off.

If he is walking, we better get something in return in the least. Of all people we can not jsut let ZP walk out the door and say "Well thanks for everything good luck!"

i'd like to think that most teams ahead of us in term of contenders are contenders cause they have a good core of top players and near the cap... so they couldnt fit Zach anyway...

i may be wrong... but if i am i'd rather not know

But if you have a shot at taking Parise you make room for him any way you possibly can.

Some of you are really going to drive yourselves into the loony bin over the next six months. There are more immediate needs to worry about, like the team's performance and getting back into the playoffs. If you want Zach to stay, the team's performance (and the ownership situation, another thing that isn't going to be resolved overnight) is going to be paramount, he himself has all but admitted that.

Lou's not trading him, the only way he would have is if the team was about as out of it as they were last year. I have the feeling I'm going to be typing that a hundred times as everyone demands Lou trades him if he's not signed. As if not being signed on February 28 automatically equals he's gone.

i just don't get Lou's thought process... why NOT at least start the talks... there's NOTHING but risks the more you wait and that's a fact

the more he's waiting the more Zach will consider other options, seriously i don't give a sh!t about the financial problems and all... what do they have to lose by working on a framework or something and at least know what both sides wants... at least they will have this done IF the financial problems are over or something.

i just don't get Lou's thought process... why NOT at least start the talks... there's NOTHING but risks the more you wait and that's a fact

It's Lou and his old school mentality. He wants players to essentially beg to be Devils. Look at some of the stuff Greene said leading up to free agency. He mentioned not even getting a monetary offer until the last second. I don't know if that style works too well these days.

• Like 1

What NJDevs4978 said.

Besides, who's out there with a better chance at the cup that also has cap space? The Rangers are pretty much out, along with the Flyers, Sabres, Sharks, Canucks, Blackhawks, Penns, and Bruins... I mean yea, he's worth making some room for, but you can't trade your whole team on the chance of signing him (and he's not that good, anyway).

I suppose that Montreal and Tampa Bay are somewhat of a concern, but... I mean, does anyone think that Minnesota really has a significantly better chance at the Cup than the Devils do? Sure, it's where he grew up, but his (in season) home is here now... I'd think that those arguments are a wash, and he doesn't strike me as being too drawn by that anyway based on my reading of his replies.

Besides, he said himself that he recognized that Lou rarely, if ever, negotiates contracts in season. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about some preliminary discussions at the all-star break, but I would be surprised if he's actually signed before the end of the season.

I think you've gotta be a subscriber for the WSJ article, but I'm not sure. That's the only reason that I didn't post it before.

Not that it hurts to post it, but it's usually "de rigueur" (don't worry, I had to look up the spelling too. lol) to mention that a subscription is required.

the fact that nobody knows what the next cba will have to say about the cap makes this a little tough if he makes it unsigned through the season.

that being said, if we assume all things remain about the same, the most likely landing spots are (in the order i'd think):

DET

MIN

NJ

NYR

PHI

I think you've gotta be a subscriber for the WSJ article, but I'm not sure. That's the only reason that I didn't post it before.

Not that it hurts to post it, but it's usually "de rigueur" (don't worry, I had to look up the spelling too. lol) to mention that a subscription is required.

I am not a subscriber...and got in to read the article no-problem, maybe you have to be a subscriber to read it the day the article comes out, but its a few days old now.

the fact that nobody knows what the next cba will have to say about the cap makes this a little tough if he makes it unsigned through the season.

that being said, if we assume all things remain about the same, the most likely landing spots are (in the order i'd think):

DET

MIN

NJ

NYR

PHI

I think Zach and dad are gonna watch the playoffs this season, and see which teams are really contenders, then wait till July to see if one of those teams sends him an offer.

DET

MIN

NJ

NYR

PHI

Chicago has a ton of cap room, I think they are the most likely players for Parise. Not so sure about Detroit - lot of questions about that team once Lidstrom retires. They have a bunch of great prospects but if you look at the NHL roster the future isn't too bright.

i think it would be REALLY CLEAR for Zach that a team would be a SERIOUS contenders to sign somewhere if he likes it here and he's Captain here after all and he likes it here.

Minnesota are not better than us, their top player (Koivu) to me isnt that much better than what Henrique could become... Henrique is on pace to crush Mikko's rookie year and he's on pace for a have a season equal to koivu's 2nd best season of 67pts... and they don't have a Larsson or anything. Plus no leadership like Elias is bringing, no Kovalchuk kind of player either

plus obviously it probably wouldnt change anything but with Koivu, Zach would lose his number and his C... not that i think that he cares or anything but still lol

Detroit are going down and its obvious... Lidstrom is gone, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, Holmstrom, kronwall, franzen, bertuzzi are still good but they will decline and they future's packed with late round picks... they really don't have a bright future other than a lots of cap space coming... but who knows what they'll do with it... NJ's future looks way brighter than in Detroit.

Edited by SterioDesign

Chicago has a ton of cap room, I think they are the most likely players for Parise. Not so sure about Detroit - lot of questions about that team once Lidstrom retires. They have a bunch of great prospects but if you look at the NHL roster the future isn't too bright.

that's a good point about chicago. i think they'd prefer a center but you're right - that's a serious landing spot.

I'm fairly certain that Lamoriello has a pretty good idea about what's coming with the next CBA. Well, as good of an idea as anyone else at least.

Last I remember he was on the committee (whatever it's called now), wasn't he?

Let's run with that list though.

CapGeek's salary cap chart for next season says

Detroit: 14 players (needs 6), $24.6 mil in cap space.

Minnesota: 12 players (needs 8), $20.8 mil cap

New Jersey: 14 players (needs 6), $24.6 mil in cap space.

New York Rangers: 15 players (needs 5), $15.9 mil in cap space.

Philadelphia: 19 players (needs 1), $5.4 mil cap.

I'd also add Los Angeles: 19 players (needs 1), $14.1 mil cap.

Vancouver: 16 players (needs 4), $9.6 mil cap

and Boston: 14 players (needs 6), $12.5 mil cap.

Detroit kinda worries me because they have Lidstrom coming off the books (and he'll retire after this season). Still, they've specifically gotta replace him on the blue line (I don't know anything about their minors system, does anyone know off hand if they can try to replace him organically?)

I don't think that Philly or Los Angeles can afford him.

I'd think that the Rangers are out of the running as well, after having signed Richards this summer and their needing to resign Del Zotto to an actual contract next season (right?).

Vancouver... I don't know. I think their top priority is going to be resigning or replacing Schneider, but the direction they go is very dependant on their playoff success (or lack thereof). I could see them throwing out all of the stops and making a move similar to what the Flyers did this summer if they don't win again this season. I could make almost the exact same case for Boston, as well.

When you look everything over, the Devils and the Red Wings have the same budget and the same number of holes to fill, so they've gotta be the top candidates. There's been rampant speculation about money as well, with Chambers wanting out of his limited partnership, and the fact that Lou made the mistake of uttering the work "budget" once this summer. I understand being pessimistic, especially about money issues, and more especially about money issues while here in New Jersey (lol!), but what I read between the lines of what Lou has actually said my perception is of good cap management. I don't have any inside information of course, but the ownership thing is strikes me as the type of financial gaming foolishness that should be expected from a whiz kid born at Lehman Brothers. Ray Chambers accomplished his goals with ownership of the team (namely, moving them to Newark), and simply doesnt' want to deal with the headaches of owning a professional sports franchise. Everything else is pretty much garbage that can be attributed to the New York Post, the bastion of journalistic integrity! (supported by Forbes, who glommed on to the speculation after nobody in professional journalistic circles got traction at shooting down the Post... salacious stories about pro sports franchises in trouble glean eyeballs, after all.)

I am not a subscriber...and got in to read the article no-problem, maybe you have to be a subscriber to read it the day the article comes out, but its a few days old now.

Cool, good to know. I've taken crap form some about posting WSJ stories because you do have to be a subscriber for (most?) of their content.

:noclue:

Oh, good point abut Chicago.

17 players (need 3), $9.6 mil cap space.

Not "a ton", but definitely workable. Let's see... they don't really have any holes to fill, or holes being crated this off season (they did have to dump salary before last season). They could easily let Brunette walk (and retire?) and replace him with Parise, and then they could probably fill out their blue line with kids or journeymen. Playing with Kane and Toews would have to be appealing as well. Tough one. I think that I'll put them up there with Detroit and the Devs.