Madden to Re-up ?

BlueSkirt

You mean...no lap dances??? No steaks??? No Marty shakin' his groove thing at the China Club???

:evil::dance::dance::evil:

Well...it IS the Post...but it WAS Page Six...it's more reliable than Brooks or NEverson. I give it a thumbs up.

FYI - a bit off topic... but... I was at China Club last night and there is a picture of marty on their wall... So he has been there and probably shaken his groove thing... cigar hanging out of his mouth and some dude in front of him who looks like a chippendale dancer.. open shirt and little tie around the next.. hoisting up the cup!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 to 5 million per year is what it's going to cost to keep Madden.

Yes, he scored 10 goals this year.

But he has a Selke Trophy and a 16 point playoff season.

Our center depth is so ravaged, too, that we'll need to keep him. I'm thinking he will get somewhere in the range of 18 million for 4 years.

You mean...no lap dances??? No steaks???  No Marty shakin' his groove thing at the China Club???

:evil:   :dance:   :dance:   :evil:

Well...it IS the Post...but it WAS Page Six...it's more reliable than Brooks or NEverson.  I give it a thumbs up.

FYI - a bit off topic... but... I was at China Club last night and there is a picture of marty on their wall... So he has been there and probably shaken his groove thing... cigar hanging out of his mouth and some dude in front of him who looks like a chippendale dancer.. open shirt and little tie around the next.. hoisting up the cup!!

That should read the China Club has a picture of Marty and you didn't even care about it, you were too obsessed looking at the Joey Fatone's etc on the wall. :D

-Scott

I do not believe that number.

NO! It's true! The lap dance thread REALLY IS 30 PAGES! :P

could you imaging a cyber-sex thread which involved a 30page lapdance ?!?!? :unsure::evil:

that would be just SICK !!!! :lol:

Well I saw 3 Fatone ones on the wall thats why he stuck with me...but I saw them after Marty.

-Scott

So then maybe its you who has the obsession with Fatone ...hmmmm.

I actually do remember seeing the outer space NSync dude in a pic so maybe that was a Fatone one also but I dont remember!!

Lou sould be committed if he offer Madden $5 Million a year.

Maybe the same at $4 Million.

How about $3.25 Million that's over a 50% increase for his youth.

Madden doesn't have a record for $4-5 M.

Could he get it as URF, I don't think so not this year.

I think that is a bit too much but he'll be gone if we don;t give him the money.

And we'll be gone if we do. Give $5M to Madden, and Brodeur, Niedermayer, Brylin, Rafalski, Elias.. they'll all be asking for big pay raises.

I think that is a bit too much but he'll be gone if we don;t give him the money.

And we'll be gone if we do. Give $5M to Madden, and Brodeur, Niedermayer, Brylin, Rafalski, Elias.. they'll all be asking for big pay raises.

Elias is signed for two more years, Marty for three last time I checked...and Marty's already handsomely paid. Elias will probably get another $2.5-3 million per with his next contract. Brylin's a good player but how much money can he get? Nieds will be asking for more anyway regardless of what we do with Madden. Raf, I dunno how much a 40-45 point defenseman that plays decent defense would go for on the open market (and resigning Nieds would increase the likelihood that Rafalski will be dealt anyway).

Stevens' salary will come off the books either after this year or next year more likely. The Devils have a new owner that might loosen the pursestrings a little. And last but not least, the Devils have no real replacement for Madden. Hell, the Devils almost overpayed for Holik and Lou HAD a replacement in Madden. Lou knows the importance of having a third-line center. Rasmussen's a good fourth-line center but has he shown enough to know he's going to be a good third-line center?

Edited by Hasan4978

I don't see why everyone would be so surprised about $4-5 million, isn't Peca making $5.5? And Madden's every bit the player Peca is (especially since Peca's injury).

Not to mention King Bob is making $9 million to work on his golf game :rofl:

lol, Peca is a much beter player then Madden. Peca is much more physical, a better leader and a much better offensive player. Madden is nothing more then a great 3rd line center where Peca is a very good 2nd line center. Madden should demand a little more then Marchant IMO.

Peca is not the same guy since his injury. His offensive skills are Madden-esque now. I don't give Madden more than $3.25 per. He is just not worth much more than that. He is not a Franchise player. He doesn't have the offensive skills that Holik or Lehtinen do - not that they are Franchise players either but they are shut down defensive forwards. If Madden demands $4 mil you have to let him go. Madden is 31, do you want a 35 year old John Madden at $4 mil on your books especially if there some kind of salary cap involved?

Edited by PeteyNice

Much better? A little better maybe. Peca has 82 points and is a +13 over the last two years while Madden has 76 points and is a +20. Prorating Peca's numbers out, he would have about 90 points if he hadn't missed 22 games over the last couple years (Madden only missed 4) so Peca would have averaged around 45 points a year over the last couple of years and Madden 38, and Madden's +/- is a little better.

dr, I believe Elias is making 5 or 5.5 million. Probably 5.

Much better? A little better maybe. Peca has 82 points and is a +13 over the last two years while Madden has 76 points and is a +20. Prorating Peca's numbers out, he would have about 90 points if he hadn't missed 22 games over the last couple years (Madden only missed 4) so Peca would have averaged around 45 points a year over the last couple of years and Madden 38, and Madden's +/- is a little better.

dr, I believe Elias is making 5 or 5.5 million. Probably 5.

Why are you trying to compare Madden and Peca's defensive skills with +-, that is your first mistake. New Jersey allways has a great GF/GA difference which will favor their players +-. Peca plays on a weaker team where his shutdown defense partner is Adrian Aucoin with Snow/Dipietro in nets. Although that is all that bad Madden has Stevens with Brodeur in nets. Madden's support cast is so much better then the Isles it isn't funny. I know Peca's injury has set him back, before the injuey I thought he was the most complete allround forward in the NHL. He was the total package. There is a reason Gretzky picked him over Madden.

Peca plays on a weaker team where his shutdown defense partner is Adrian Aucoin with Snow/Dipietro in nets. Although that is all that bad Madden has Stevens with Brodeur in nets.

I could use a similar argument for Peca's offensive numbers being better, given that he plays on a more offensively-minded line.

The Stanley Cup has slipped away for the Devils, but it appears one of their key players won't.

The Post has learned that Selke Trophy finalist John Madden, who won the award in 2001, is close to foregoing unrestricted free-agency to sign a long-term deal with the Devils. Terms are believed to be still under discussion, but sources say Madden will probably receive between $ 4-5 million per year in a four or five year deal, which is expected to also include deferred compensation.

Madden, who turns 31 today, earned $ 2 million last season.

John Madden worht 4-5 mil.?? Thats bs. He's a good checking center that had a sh!t year, and doesnt deserve. lou ought to low ball his ass. He was not the man he used to be 2nd half.

vince

Lou cannot lowball John Madden. Madden cannot leave, or the Devils have no centers next year.

Peca is overrated and since his injury, he has not been the player he was in Buffalo. In Buffalo, he did play with the best offensive players, however. Is he better than John Madden? I'd rate them about equally at this point.

Everyone laughed when Brooks wrote that Holik would get 7.5 million per season. No way he gets that much! they said. And before you all say there's a different atmosphere with regard to salaries, you're both right and wrong. While there is a different atmosphere, there will be some team out there willing to throw 4.5 million per season at John Madden. The comparison to Marchant is both right and wrong; Marchant never had a Conn Smythe worthy performance in the playoffs.