In defense of Zach

HellOnICE

Ok. So Zach had 1 shot on net last night and people are all over his ass because here we are one game away from elimination and he hasn't scored in every game.

His effort has been outstanding. He has put pucks on net, had some bad puck luck in prior games but last night was especially tough. Why?I blame Kovalchuk.

Maybe Kovy is hurt, maybe he isn't. I think he is. Regardless, when Kovy is not at top speed, or standing around like a lot of last game, it is ANCHORING Zach's line. Why doesn't the coaching see this and try to make a change?

If Kovy is hurt, don't let it fvck up the other best player on the team. Contain the issue. If we need to cut Ilya's minutes, let's spread it out. Give a few shifts to Zubrus, Henrique and Bernier. These guys have been winning board battles a little bit. In one case Zuby has had previous success in playing the cycle with those guys. Henrique might get some rejuventation playing a shift with ZP here and there.

I want ZP on this team in the future, and we can talk about that either Tuesday, Thursday or when the season ends again - but for now - they need to help him and make sure he's not getting anchored by Ilya's injury.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree more. I actually haven't been coming to this board much lately because I got so tired of reading all the negativity about Parise. I don't know what people are watching. All I see is a guy who busts his butt every shift of every game. I don't think he'll resign, especially if we lose this series, and I for one will be very upset about it.

There are times when I am frustrated with him, but he is our leader. Let's not turn this in to a money thread, it wasn't my intention. This was on getting him going right now.

Hard not to talk about the money, Kovy and him are being paid the big bucks because they are expected to produce and they aren't getting the job done. I don't want to hear any excuses, but for him to only get 1 shot on goal in a game 5 of the playoffs is unacceptable.

I didn't like his comments on the post show either but we'll see how they come out and play on Tuesday, if they roll over and die like they have done in the past then I think he isn't the right person to lead this team into the future.

Couldn't agree more. I actually haven't been coming to this board much lately because I got so tired of reading all the negativity about Parise. I don't know what people are watching. All I see is a guy who busts his butt every shift of every game. I don't think he'll resign, especially if we lose this series, and I for one will be very upset about it.

This might be OK for a 4th liner, but from a “team leader” I also expect results. Just trying isn’t good enough.

(this statement applies to a few other on the team as well)

What i don't understand is why people are quite happy to let one of our best players walk, yet complain we aren't winning. Who do you intend to replace him with? Losing Zach makes us a much worse team.

Ryan Suter is not the answer.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Zachs a good player and gives a solid effort all the time, but he's a bit small for his style of play, he cant out muscle anyone to get to the net, sure I'd like him back, but some GM is gonna throw a boatload of $ at him, and I just don't think he's worth much more than what he's making right now (especially for a team with money problems and other needs)

I hate to say it but if he were to walk I don't really think I'd care at this point. I feel like the only time he's ever came up in the clutch was in a USA sweater, not a Devils sweater. I'd love to eat crow on this, I really would because I like him. I think my indifference toward if he were to leave or not has more to do with the team rather than him. I had such a good feeling coming into the playoffs, the team supposedly had this newfound chemistry, all this hype leading into it and they have for the better part of five games trudged through a series en route to what could very possibly be yet another first round exit. So to me, we've been trying to take that next step with this core for a long time... at this point if he walks and we take a different direction, try to get some new faces & a new image, I'd be for it, I think... whether that means a new GM too, I really wouldn't be opposed to either. I love Lou but... I just don't know what to think about this group anymore as a collective. From the players on up.

I know it's not over yet ... and I'd like to see how they respond to being on the brink... but it looks pretty bleak right now. Like I said though, I'd really really like to eat crow and just throw this post out the window

I hate to say it but if he were to walk I don't really think I'd care at this point. I feel like the only time he's ever came up in the clutch was in a USA sweater, not a Devils sweater. I'd love to eat crow on this, I really would because I like him. I think my indifference toward if he were to leave or not has more to do with the team rather than him. I had such a good feeling coming into the playoffs, the team supposedly had this newfound chemistry, all this hype leading into it and they have for the better part of five games trudged through a series en route to what could very possibly be yet another first round exit. So to me, we've been trying to take that next step with this core for a long time... at this point if he walks and we take a different direction, try to get some new faces & a new image, I'd be for it, I think... whether that means a new GM too, I really wouldn't be opposed to either. I love Lou but... I just don't know what to think about this group anymore as a collective. From the players on up.

I know it's not over yet ... and I'd like to see how they respond to being on the brink... but it looks pretty bleak right now. Like I said though, I'd really really like to eat crow and just throw this post out the window

Some times a team needs new players to change the atmosphere, some times an organization needs some changes too. We've been trying too long to get back to being an elite team...I would welcome a new GM, one who cares about everything, the fans, the players, the success ...everything. If the Devils lose this series, there will be another drop off of fan support next year, and the Devils cant afford losing fans.

kovalchuk have 5 shot on goal last night... parise only one

Parise 69 points

Kovalchuk 83 points

This year in the playoffs they got both 3 points....

So dont tell me kovalchuk is a worst player than parise... Parise is valuable at 6 millions maximum

For the line change i think they should switch Zach with pony.

I see Parise Henrique Clarkson and Pony Zajac Kovy

If Parise leaves, I'll be intrigued to see where he goes considering a few of the teams rumored to want to make a run at him are either out (Maple Leafs, Wild) or have gone out (Wings) or may go out soon (Rangers). If the Devils finances are the issue, I won't hold it against him.

Moreso, if Parise leaves, I'd be intrigued to see what the Devils do in going forward.

Did any of you watch the game?

How do you think Kovalchuk was getting all these shots when he can barely skate or withstand contact it seems?

Parise was playing uptempo, physical, stealing pucks, forechecking, and generating opportunities for his linemates in Zajac and Kovy. It's not his fault the other guys couldn't play well enough to bank those opportunities or create consistent puck control/pressure in the offensive zone.

Eventhough kovalchuk really sucks.... I think its unfair to call out our players cause they only got that many shots or wtv... Our guys are playing the system and its not a system creating lots of good scoring chances... AT ALL

So i wouldnt blame zach here but the coaching staff

Zach's turning into the scapegoat for some people because

1. He's gonna be gone next year, so they want to believe that the team is better off anyway without him

2. The team does seem to lack fire/consistency against an inferior Panthers team. It's easy to blame the captain for that

But Zach's played well in the games I've seen.

The top three lines have all been equally disappointing to me, except for game 1, period 1. Only the 4th line seems to be putting forward any consistent sort of effort.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Did any of you watch the game?

How do you think Kovalchuk was getting all these shots when he can barely skate or withstand contact it seems?

Parise was playing uptempo, physical, stealing pucks, forechecking, and generating opportunities for his linemates in Zajac and Kovy. It's not his fault the other guys couldn't play well enough to bank those opportunities or create consistent puck control/pressure in the offensive zone.

Yes, I was at the game. That stuff is all well and good, but the Stanley Cup Playoffs don't reward you for any of that. They reward results and right now we're not getting them, and he is the Captain therefore people look to him for answers. All everyone is saying is it'd be nice if he could come up in the clutch for once, this was a 0-0, 1-0 game until there was about 6 mins or so left, and we couldn't get the equalizer. You want to see clutch, see Toews last night. Season on the line and he buries one. Hopefully Zach can do the same on Tuesday.

I dont blame Zach but Kovalchuk still a better player offensively even when he cant skate as usual... kovy is injured yes... but he still find passing lane and shooting lane.... once the devils is in the zone kovalchuk is a more effective player than parise.... but on the rush because kovy dotn have his speed parise is better... (but not when kovy is healthy)

But Zach is more complete thats why i said keep him at 6 millions

But hey these 2 players are not the only one who we have to critic...

Where was Elias, sykora zubrus in game 5???