Canes/devils

devildoggie

Now you guys know why I would trade Satan for Elias....

Since you feel the need to bring up past arguments....

I wouldn't trade Elias for that "power forward" Allison. Especially since he's out 2 months with a knee injury (and possibly the year).

What a shame. :uni:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...it's amazing how many people change their tune about Weekes...

I do believe I was a huge supporter of Weekes a few months ago...and I do believe I got a lot of heat because of that.

Sure is amazing when you're being proven right :lol:

You did have one supporter who thought Weekes could prove himself :) .

Sounds like he was in the zone tonight. Not much you can do there.

Oh believe me I was getting laughed at too. I was also warning everyone he wasn't total garbage when they put him in in the playoffs. I do hope he's playing well against other teams besides the Devils, though or he'll be like the Alexei Morozov of goalies :puke:

Weren't we just discussing this same theory earlier :lol:

You know my take on Weekes. I am one who thinks he's capable.

It's great that Gionta "played his best game of the year tonight", but haven't you said that after every game he's played?

Now this might just be the 102.3 degree fever that I have speaking, but I'm quite tired of posters going on and on about their favorite players...that's great that you guys loves these players, but does EVERY single post had to be about them?!?!

Great great...Brian Gionta had a good game. Great great. He's not the only player on the team. Great great. He's a good player, but give it a rest sometimes....

*note: this post will probably be edited/deleted in the near future.

LOL... I don't see anything wrong with it and I doubt anyone would. When you root for a team. you aren't just pulling for one player. You're correct in what you said here.

It's nice when one player has a decent game but cmon! It's only one of 23.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

Of course, you know why NJ did what he did. Ya know how positive this place is ;) .

Sarge and The SBT on why Vancouver doesn't miss Booyah:

The Pens traded Markus Naslund for the Legend Of Alek Stojanov. How I recall this trade is very easy. The Pens were in town to play the Rangers one Sunday night. It was an ESPN National Hockey Night game in which our new players (McSorley, Kurri and Churla) were in either their first or second game in Neil Smith's worst ever deal (one in which I have heard Mark Messier forced).

The score was so embarrassing at the Garden that Stojanov scored one of his 2 career goals that night. I think it was something like 8 or 9-2.

Anyway, that deal wasn't one of Craig Patrick's better ones.

The other player that makes Vancouver fans forget Bure is another great one:

One day, Islanders g.m. "Mad Mike" Milbury decided to finally give up on Todd Bertuzzi. Not only did he part with him but decided to deal then Isles' Captain Bryan McCabe for all of about 4 months to Vancouver as well.

This has to go down as one of the worst deals ever made.

Milbury dealt Bertuzzi and McCabe (which became The Sedin Twins when McCabe was packaged to Chicago for two #1's) for Trevor Linden. Somehow, Mad Mike also included a 3rd round pick (Jarkko Ruutu) in the deal as well to sweeten it for a player past his prime.

Amazing.

So, these two deals opened the door for Vancouver to deal Bure for a much needed #1 defenseman to build around. You know him as Jovocop.

*Sigh*

Naslund acquired 3/20/96.

97-98 Canucks finish with 64 points.

Bertuzzi acquired 2/6/98.

98-99 Canucks finish with 58 points.

Jovocop acquired for Bure on 1/17/99.

99-00 Canucks finish with 83 points.

00-01 Canucks finish with 90 points and make playoffs.

01-02 Canucks finish with 94 points and make playoffs.

Naslund and Bertuzzi have developed into excellent hockey players.

But make no mistake about it.

JOVOCOP remains the heart and soul of the Vancouver Canucks.

BOOK IT.

I just made a few apologies to people via PM, but I'll make it public here - it was quite obvious that I was out of my mind last night..I have the flu really bad, and I shouldn't have been on the message board posting things when it was clear that I was making no sense. I said a lot of things that I shouldn't have said, and I'm sorry.

Main problem is the shot selection, or the fact that they REFUSE to even shoot (on power plays). Can't they hire a shooting accuracy coach?? It'd be nice if some of them could shoot high more accurately.

Amen to that.

Burns and company need to tell them that shooting for corners is usually a good thing -- then have them watch the tape from the Tampa Bay-Florida game the other night, where all of the Bolts' goals were scored top shelf (good SportsCenter segment on it).

But Tri and Chort are right -- most of the shooters don't have the finishing touch, though Madden's not too bad on breakaways.

For all the praise coming from this board to Gionta, where's his scoring touch? Thought he used to be fantabulous back in college. He needs to find that, and fast. Same goes for the rest of our guys.

Gionta has 20 shots on goal so far. That's 3rd on the team.

I don't think he will be a great scorer in the NHL, but he has the ability to get 25 goals.

Problem is, he will create a lot more chances than he will score on, or come close to scoring on.

Langenbrunner, Gionta, and Nieuwendyk all need to score more than they have. Not coincedentally, these three players were not Devils at this time last year.

I understand that we don't have a ton of snipers who can pick corners on the net, but MOST teams don't. I think the other problem related to this is we don't have enough guys standing near or in front of the net ready to pounce on rebounds. You don't always have to shoot high if there's someone who can get rebounds, etc.

Thank you MaddDog, there were 2 times last night when the puck was sitting in the Caolina crease with literally nothing between it and the net, nothing. The first time it happenened was when Weekes came out to challenge a shooter (don't remember who) and the shot beat him but didn't make it to the goal line, a Carolina defenseman cleared it. The second time was off a dump in. Weekes went out to play the puck but it bounced in front of line and Gomez could only push it into the crease as he skated by. Once again, a Carlina defenseman cleared it. These are the kinds of opportunities that need to be finished.