Canes/devils

devildoggie

"Weekes is a top 30 goalie"?????? Oh my god are you kidding me ? you just made my arguement for me. Yeah he is a top 30 goalie. I may go on to even say he is a top 25 goalie. But wait shoud say the 25th ranked goalie in the league be able to stop something like 100 out of 103 shots against the Devs, a team people think will contend for the East? (that 100 out of 103 is coming into tonights game I beleive over the last 3 games against NJ) Come on man its really ok to say something that criticizes the Devs. I mean its not like I am stating things that arent true here. I mean if you are calling Weekes a top 30 goalie, that means that 29 others are better than him, and that means we wont score against anybody this year!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

NJay you have to understand, this WILL be a problem as the season goes along. Plain and simple. fix it now. we've played sh!t teams, and got away with it. One huge win against TB, that's it. WHO WANTS TO BET KYYDAX will be here bitching about 2goals which Marty was at no fault on 11 shots.

Should he? No.

Can he? Yes.

It's not like lesser goalies are incapable of shutouts and good play.

You'd be saying the same thing about Brian Boucher if he had beaten the Devils in 2000.

Once again, I reiterate.. any goalie can beat any team on any given night. It just so happens the Devils can't score on Weekes.

You're not looking at the big picture here. Step back from tonight's game, look at the Devils roster, look at their statistics this year. Can that continue? Can Langenbrunner continue to be goalless? The Big 3?

Because this one loss means that we will forever suck, we won't make the playoffs, we should move from New Jersey (on account of the poor attendance), and we should bitch about every single aspect of the Devils game because we're all the biggest f'n drama queens ever.

Panic Modeeeeeeee~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should be calle dthe New Jersey DRAMA QUEENS EVERYBODY!!!! WE LOVE DRAMA!!!!!!

you know, Schwab or Terreri could've pitched a shutout against us tonight too. Weekes has been fantastic against us but average to below average against everybody else. Even when he got chances with Florida, Vancouver, Tampa, NYI in the late 90's, no way should his GAA be way over 3.00 with a save pct at or below .900. He floated in the minors as a backup for 5 years, lost his job as a backup to Mark Fitzpatrick, Corey Hirsch, and Garth Snow. All of a sudden he's found his game? He's not even the legit starter yet. Irbe is finished after a great stanley cup finals? I don't think so, not yet.

Weekes was part of 5 organizations and you think he should just step in and play perfectly?

He was the kicker in the Bure deal. The Canucks thought they were getting a future starter.

Kevin struggled in Vancouver. Not only did he struggle on the ice, he had a strange incident where he claimed he was robbed in a back alley, which is why he missed practice one time. Something like that.

He was part of one of the dysfunctional Milbury teams.

He was part of an atrocious Tampa team. Right when they decided to start him, I think they got Khabibulin.

Finally he's had a chance to prove himself in a decent organization and has done a decent job.

He's not a terrible goalie. He wouldn't be starting over Irbe if he was. He's just a top 30 goalie, good enough to start on poor teams but usually too good to be a backup.

you reiterate, the Devils just cant score on Weekes. Is that what you are saying? And Weekes is a "top 30 goalie" right?? Well who exactly can the Devils score on?? HOdson? Dont exactly think we will be seeing a lot of him this season. They have scored 19 goals in 8 games. That isnt going to get it done. And rough, I think your comments are slightly off base here, nobody is saying this team will forever suck because of this game, but what I am saying is if they dont start figuring out how to get a few goals their 6-2 "pretty" record, will be short lived.

wait a minute, was the score 6-1 canes or 2-1 canes? because with all the bitching in here, i thought the devils got blown out.

elias had two chances to tie the game and he missed both of them. that doesn't happen very often.

the thing i was most concerned about most in this game is that once again, the devils were thrown around physically. of course carolina is a physical team so it showed up more, but someone has to be there to smack the punk erik cole down when he takes runs at someone and make sure sean hill doesn't pull any crap either. get doan lou, make it happen.

scott niedermayer is playing like he wants to be traded. get him off the power play, he's not doing anything there. the floating around act is old now, the devils have the depth to trade him, he has to put up the points or he's gone.

Wait a minute you rip me for contradictions??

You say he is finally in a decent organization and has a chance to prove himself and has done a decent job, then in the very next sentence you say he is good enough to start on a poor team. Well which is Carolina? A decent organization or a poor team??

i agree with Sarge. Nieder has been worse than pathetic, he's LAZYYYYYYY. It's so sad watching what this guy could have become. trade his ass.

Also on the PP. Tverdovsky has been fine, but he can't get off his killer shot playing the side he does during the PP. He playes left D being a left therefore get can't a cross ice one timer. Why do they do that???

Not a contradiction, Pa.. Carolina probably thought they'd have Irbe start 50 games and Weekes 30.. but they didn't figure on Irbe getting this old this fast..

Weekes could start on Atlanta, St. Louis, Boston, and a few other teams. They're of varying talent level.

I can't quite explain what I mean here.. but I believe it falls under the same terminology as '1st line winger'.. someone like Friesen is a first line winger on the Devils, but I would not consider him a '1st line winger'.. the Devils are still a decent offensive team, but it just so happens that this is what they are lacking.

And I didn't say the Devils can't score on Weekes, I said the opposite. It "just so happens".. meaning that coincedentally, the Devils have had offensive problems against Weekes *this season*.. I'm not even going to go into last year..

Have to agree brylin, I didn't hear Niedermayer's name much tonight.. his job was being challenged, doesn't sound like he wants to step up and take it.

I just got back from the game, Weekes had a good game, but he definatly wasn't Patrik Roy out there. I don't buy this garbedge that Weekes has our number, Friesen scored on a very average shot. He screened Weekes with the defenseman and writested is in there, very fundamental.

You can't ask for much more than Elias on a breakaway from the red line, I mean, he just has to convert those, no excuse. And the 5-3? I get chills just thinking about it. It's seriously gotten to the point where I'm more excited when the other team gets a powerplay, because I know we'll probably get a good scoring chance, but when we get a powerplay it's just 2 minutes off the clock.

One other beef that I have, whatever happened to calling obstruction? Friesen was consistantly held and pinned on the forecheck with no call, and it was both ways. The refs are simply not calling it.

All I can say is we need a finisher, badly. I know were 6-2, but do you want to wait until we're 10-8 before we do anything about it?

I think the Devils read to many of their own press clippings today. It didn't sound like they were trying to hard besides the usual people. Friesen, Madden, Danton, Gionta sounded like they were trying hard. Stevens got beat bad and I rarely heard any other defensemens names besides Tevo.

Eight games played is hardly time to panic but it is curious that during the pre-season the lines were more productive and the passing much better. To me that means they are trying to hard for the perfect pass/shot.

I am still non-committal on the season right now, still way to damn early. Maybe in 12 games for the quarter mark of the season.

I'll probably get slammed for this but the 2 worst people on the ice tonight were...

Ken Danyeko- Beat all over the place, turning pucks over, and at times making almost no effort at an outlet pass just to get the puck off his stick on a clear.

The officiating- Didn't change the game at all probably but how can Friesen and, I think, Hill just throw down guys nowhere near the puck right in front of the refs and not get called for penalties? Also, what was with the first call on Madden? I didn't realize fighting for the puck on the boards was a penalty.

Oh well, Devils played hard tonight and played well, Carolina got 2 bang bang goals and teams will have games like that sometimes. Elias is squeezing the stick and screwing up but stuff happens. I really want to see more Zyuzin and less Dano. Please????

-Scott

Gotta love ESPNS headliner

The New Jersey Devils are the best team in the NHL -- unless they're playing the Hurricanes. Including a 2-1 Carolina victory on Tuesday, the Devils' last six losses have all been to the 'Canes, dating to the first-round exit last season by an N.J. team that failed to defend its 2000-01 Stanley Cup title. The Hurricanes won despite managing just 11 shots on Martin Brodeur's goal.

Dano got beat in the corners at least 5 times in the first period alone. He also iced the puck a few times with no pressure on him. He made one good keep at the blue line once and thats really the only positive I have on him this game with a bunch of negatives.

-Scott

He was the kicker in the Bure deal. The Canucks thought they were getting a future starter.

Im sorry Tri but Weekes wasnt the kicker in the Bure deal, he may have sweetened it for Vancouver, but Jovonovski was certianly the center piece going back for Bure, Vancouver got a very good yet underachieveing and rushed 2 way defender out of that deal.

AMEN Blackjack AMEN, you hit the nail on the head. I mean this team needs a finisher in the worst way. Elias had a great yr 2 yrs ago, and hasnt been the same since.I mean maybe in all honesty, he played a bit over his head that yr, with the A line having a great season over all. But man you can say Elias wont miss those chances too often, but it seems lately and even dating back to last yr. He has done exactly that, miss those types of chances. My point is exactly like Blackjack said, are we gonna wait around till the Devils are .500 or even worse before we notice this team is really having a problem scoring. talk about Weekes all you want, but it isnt just weekes, its Biron, La.... (Atlantas goalie dont know the spelling) Its Columbus's goalie, its every goalie so far. Even though we are winning some of these games, 2 goals arent going to cut it when we play the Philly's of the NHL, or the Bostons, or any of the Western powers.

Couldn't see the game, only heard it.

But sounds like Devils just had issues putting the puck anywhere but at the center of the net tonight. Maybe Burns should run some drills where they're encouraged to do something other than aim for the big padded guy in between the pipes.

Niedermayer didn't impress me at all. Niether did Daneyko, and Stevens gave me a headache (sorry PK).

We got pushed around pretty good.

We got beaten on faceoffs quite a bit.

Personally though, I think they just had a bad game. And that's the belief I'll stick to until we're at least 20 games into the season. Until then it's just too early to tell.

So I'm thinking I won't be posting on threads similar to this one for a while... seems like it really doesn't accomplish anything. Oh wait, that's almost how I'm starting to feel in general about posting these days....

Maybe I should take a vacation from posting here for a bit. Who knows.