Stephen Gionta

95Crash

How fun has this guy been to watch this postseason! I guess we can say the same about the whole four line, but man, Gionta in particular has been especially surprising.

NEWARK — A compact man with curly black hair and a beard clomped through the Devils’ dressing room on skates after practice Saturday, stashing his black helmet in his locker before moving on to the next episode of his improbable and rollicking springtime adventure.

“How can you not enjoy this? It’s the Stanley Cup playoffs,” the man, Stephen Gionta, said. “This is every kid’s dream. If you can’t enjoy it, I don’t know what you can enjoy.”

Five weeks ago, Gionta, a 28-year-old forward, was polishing off his fifth full season with the Devils’ top farm team. He has been in the minors so long that he played for the Albany River Rats and then the Lowell Devils, who became the Albany Devils.

Career in the Minors Is Interrupted by the Devils’ Push for the Stanley Cup

YDEVILS-popup.jpg

Edited by 95Crash

The way he's been playing, it makes you wonder if he shouldn't have gotten a legitimate shot at a 4th line role sooner. He's a perfect fit on that line - quick enough to be a pest on the forecheck, tough enough to give and receive hits, and good enough hands to score dirty goals around the net.

He could probably lose a leg over the summer and still be a lock for the roster next season.

+1. I absolutely LOVE our 4th line right now. I do not see how Little Gio is not a full timer in Jersey next season....he got his big break in the last game of the season and he made the most of it. He scored a goal and solidified his spot for the playoffs. At this point, he should have solidified his spot on the 2012-2013 (Stanley Cup Defending Champion?) NEW JERSEY DEVILS!

The way he's been playing, it makes you wonder if he shouldn't have gotten a legitimate shot at a 4th line role sooner. He's a perfect fit on that line - quick enough to be a pest on the forecheck, tough enough to give and receive hits, and good enough hands to score dirty goals around the net.

He was given a shot at it last year - I know I repress those games also. He's been a great story and plays the Devils' forecheck game the way they want - still think it will be difficult for him to make the roster next season.

He was given a shot at it last year - I know I repress those games also. He's been a great story and plays the Devils' forecheck game the way they want - still think it will be difficult for him to make the roster next season.

I don't see him failing to make the roster. It's up to him to make it stick and prove that this run wasn't a fluke, but he's been great, he's cheap, and the alternatives are less than stellar, unless they go outside the organization, which I don't see them doing with him already here.

As good as he's been. He's the odd man out when josefson returns

Team could just go with a rotation of the 3 fourth liners and josefson to try to keep them a little fresher than everyone else.

Sykora probably has to watch his back as well, if Josefson gets in and plays well

Edited by Devils731

I do not see Josefson going into the lineup for anyone anytime soon. As long as the team is playing well there is no need to tinker!

This. Josefson doesn't add much. He doesn't play with the energy or physicality of the 4th liners. Since those guys are also scoring at a very good clip, I see no need to add him. He's good to have ready if there's an injury, or somebody needs a breather, but don't mess with a good thing.

Team could just go with a rotation of the 3 fourth liners and josefson to try to keep them a little fresher than everyone else.

Sykora probably has to watch his back as well, if Josefson gets in and plays well

I can't see Josefson adding much to the lineup this late in the playoffs. While I believe he has a bright future in the league, we're talking about a guy with 69 career NHL games over two years and 0 playoff experience. This is a different animal, and it might take him a whole bunch of games to get going in the regular season let alone the playoffs. Only going to be harder now.

The 4th line has been solid, but if they advance to the finals, I wouldn't be shocked if he got a game.

JJ brings a great 1 to 3rd line presence . Hes not going to be all the physical and not a real puck getter, but he has very good hockey smarts. And on thing he does bring to the table is Face-offs durring the season he was 51.1% not to bad for this team that stinks in faceoffs