HOW IS THIS NOT TRAPPING!!

CaptainScotty

give me a break! stupid media jagoffs, TB is sitting behind the red line and just lobbing them into calgary's zone.

My god, how wrong can you get. I think the NHL central office, ABC, and ESPN has setup an arcane deal to blame the trap on NJ, and that no one else plays it.

fukking jagoffs, I'm so pissed.

its only not trapping b/c espn says its not.

and the flyers are a fine upstanding group of thugs^H^H^H^H^Hplayers b/c espn loves 'em.

and that's all that matters.

though i haven't heard them make any noise about "what an exciting and open game this will be" lately, unlike the stuff we were hearing before game 1.

thought the remark, "this is the best a 1-0 game can get" was funny at the beginning of the 3rd period coverage.

-emily

I did hear someone mention the Devs/Dallas game 6 I think. I know I heard Devs/Dallas. You can't compare this game to that game though. But knowing ESPN, I'm sure they'd try. :P

I think that was in reference to Sydor.

This is so delicious, the press is eating more crow by the minute for all their talk about an exciting, up-tempo series - first three quasi-blowouts, then a 1-0 game where the only goal comes on a contreversial 5-on-3. :lol:

I also loved where Clement said that the Lightning players were telling him how they didn't expect Calgary to trap. Guess they must have bought the hype too :P

Sorry but get real. Tampa does not play the trap. They don't sit back. They play aggressively. So do the Flames. If you watched closely, you'd see that Bulin stood on his head tonight. You'd also see that the Lightning tried to generate scoring chances in the third but were bottled up by Calgary's D.

Tampa won for one reason. Khabibulin.

and the flyers are a fine upstanding group of thugs^H^H^H^H^Hplayers b/c espn loves 'em.

though i haven't heard them make any noise about "what an exciting and open game this will be" lately, unlike the stuff we were hearing before game 1.

thought the remark, "this is the best a 1-0 game can get" was funny at the beginning of the 3rd period coverage.

-emily

I wonder if anyone else got the "^H" thing...

-emily

I wonder if anyone else got the "^H" thing...

Isn't it supposed to mean backspace or something? (Ctrl H)

Edited by sammyk

For a lot of parts in the 2nd and 3rd period, the play was: one team dumps it in, the other bounces it off the glass; rinse and repeat.

Again, an agressive forecheck doesn't mean no trapping. Despite what their fans say, Calgary traps. How is it not obvious that during this entire series, most of the exciting hockey has come on the PP? Being a man up allows the PP team to finally focusing on offense and this allows the other team to capitalize. It goes both ways in that regards.

The SCF could be a four game sweep all being 1-0 games as long as the games themselves are action packed. Not all low scoring games are boring and not all high scoring games are exciting. It is possible to play sound defense without clutching, holding, hooking, obstructing, etc. Someone just needs to get that memo out.

Man, give it a rest with all this griping about how everybody dumps on the Devils. I've always said "fvck 'em!" The only thing I care about is my team winning Stanley Cups, and Canada winning with our boys playing well, and after that, who cares? Any time anyone says New Jersey hockey trap clutch grab whatever is boring I say "It sure is exciting to me when they win." How does what anyone else says lessen your enjoyment of Devils hockey? When people tell me the Devils ruined the league it makes me happy in a sadistic way. If people perceive that our greatest joy marks their woe I say it sucks to be them, cuz I loved every minute of every Cup run (and even our greatest chokes in 94 and 01, cuz they were defeats, but they were some dramatic hockey).

Then I point out New Jersey scored more goals in 01 than any team since the mid-90s and that team with the A-Line and Gomer/Mogilny was one of the most potent and beautiful offences this league has seen in some time. And it was that team that put the greatest defensive smothering ever on the Leafs in game 6 2000, which was just awesome to watch (especially in a Toronto bar).

When our team has given us so much to love over the years, I don't see why anyone would let other people have the power to rain on our parade.

I thought the same thing. Tampa gets a lead in the third and they sit back and play defense and trap :blink: .....Yet they dont get critized like the Devils do...bottom line is Defense wins championships. teams see the Devils are a winning franchise by the system they play and some try to the same. :noclue:

Jerry, I meant Tampa Bay. Calgary plays a variation of the trap when they're up in the third period. Tampa does not.

Tampa and trap should never be in the same sentence. Out of their five third period shots, three were good scoring chances generated off a cycle forcing Kiprusoff to make tough saves. How is that sitting back?

If Calgary getting 12 shots in the third is from a trap, that's the worst trap I've ever seen. Tampa is constantly going forward in that neutral zone to try to make the big play and get the odd-man rush the other way. They're always trying to attack. That's why you see them getting caught sometimes leading to odd-man rushes the other way. They play a high risk, high reward game.

Anyway, I am going to side with Manta now. The series is tied at two with a huge game five coming up. I don't know what's going to happen this time.