Are goalies too padded today?

Rock

If goalies were still dressed like that, I guarantee there would be a lot more goals scored.

A lot more goalies with the wind knocked out of them, too. You want to take a Sheldon Souray slapshot in the chest dressed like that?

Well, that's just it. They may not try to stop it with their chest and try a different way and possibly fail...and possibly allow a goal.

If goalies were still dressed like that, I guarantee there would be a lot more goals scored.

A lot more goalies with the wind knocked out of them, too. You want to take a Sheldon Souray slapshot in the chest dressed like that?

Well, that's just it. They may not try to stop it with their chest and try a different way and possibly fail...and possibly allow a goal.

Should forwards be forced to avoid using a certain part of their sticks, so they can try to score a goal and..."possibly fail"?

That wasn't my point. I was thinking more in terms of how much more net players would have to shoot at. They wouldn't think twice about firing a long slapper from a sharp angle. There's just no room anymore for shooters. You're dead on about the lack of chest protection though in that era. Just to think that goalies used to not even wear masks is daunting. Those guys had guts.

Should forwards be forced to avoid using a certain part of their sticks, so they can try to score a goal and..."possibly fail"?

Say what? I meant making a save in another way and fail...not changing the way a skater shoots...perhaps I'm missing something here. :noclue:

That wasn't my point. I was thinking more in terms of how much more net players would have to shoot at. They wouldn't think twice about firing a long slapper from a sharp angle. There's just no room anymore for shooters. You're dead on about the lack of chest protection though in that era. Just to think that goalies used to not even wear masks is daunting. Those guys had guts.

Would prefer to see goalies with 3.00 rather than 2.00 GAAs? I know some people consider offense "exciting," but goalies are players, too--and they wouldn't enjoy seeing all their training and hard work amount to nothing.

Edited by Chris

Would you rather have goalies with 3.20 rather than 2.00 GAAs? I know some people consider offense "exciting," but goalies are players, too--and they're not going to enjoy seeing all their training and hard work amount to nothing.

boo hoo, we want to see goalies work for there saves. It should be more than just getting in position and letting the puck hit your equipment. We don't see nearly as many great sprawling saves. Everybody just drops to there knees and 9/10 of the net is still covered. That's boring.

Would you rather have goalies with 3.20 rather than 2.00 GAAs? I know some people consider offense "exciting," but goalies are players, too--and they're not going to enjoy seeing all their training and hard work amount to nothing.

boo hoo, we want to see goalies work for there saves. It should be more than just getting in position and letting the puck hit your equipment. We don't see nearly as many great sprawling saves. Everybody just drops to there knees and 9/10 of the net is still covered. That's boring.

Do you want to see a forward take some weak slapshot or wrister only to see it get past the goaltender simply because he had too much net to shoot at? The '80s were horrible.

Edited by Chris

Dryden would still be considered huge for this era, he was 6'4-6'5.

And I'm sure he took his share of shots up high, remember there was no limit to the curve on sticks back then.

Funny I thought the curve restrictions were put into place in the early '60's well before Dryden's time in the NHL.

edit turns out I knew, while it doesn't give the exact year this site puts the curve restrictions around 1961 with Hull and Mikita. virtual museum

Hey 7, if they eliminated the trap and reduced goalie equipment and scoring still didnt go up, what would blame then, or complain about?

What if they cut your heart out but you didn't die???

it's impossible, scoring would go up.

Hey 7, if they eliminated the trap and reduced goalie equipment and scoring still didnt go up, what would blame then, or complain about?

What if they cut your heart out but you didn't die???

it's impossible, scoring would go up.

Hey just asking. :P

EDIT: :rant:

Edited by sammyk

no padding means an increase in injury and more problems for the NHL. I dont care if goals sell, I enjoy the goalie duel. Watch Brodure play is amazing, because he makes it entertaining.

no padding means an increase in injury and more problems for the NHL. I dont care if goals sell, I enjoy the goalie duel. Watch Brodure play is amazing, because he makes it entertaining.

What does Brodeur have to do with goalie equipement size?

I put goalie equipment growth as the #1 factor causing goals to go down. It's simple. You put a bigger obstacle in front of the net, it's gonna block more shots. I think that what they should do is measure a goalie's gear and have a formula dictating that if you wear X amount of gear, you have to play with X size net. If you want to wear Y amount of gear, you play with Y size net. And you start with that size goal and that size gear.

I heard Brodeur whine last year that he didn't like making the nets bigger because it screws up all the records in the record book. As if his larger gear (larger than Dryden's) hasn't helped HIM set any of his records. Trash excuse.

Give the goalies the choice. Either Snow cuts down his gear, or he plays in a soccer net.

I heard Brodeur whine last year that he didn't like making the nets bigger because it screws up all the records in the record book. As if his larger gear (larger than Dryden's) hasn't helped HIM set any of his records. Trash excuse.

Whoa bad comparison, Marty's gear is actually small for 'these' days and you know that. He wasn't making an excuse he was stating fact. It would artificially screw up the record book to change the dimensions of the net that have been in place since Lord Stanley's Cup was first created. Just like it would screw up all the records if you shortened or lengthened the season. Goalies 'should' have chest protectors and pads, my issue is with the amount of pads and the football-sized shoulder pads guys like Snow have.

Obviously it should be somewhere in the middle of Giguere's Michelin Man and Dryden's "Thiefing Giraffe*" *What Espo called him when the Habs beat the Bruins in the playoffs in Dryden's first playoff year. BTW I think Dryden is around Marty's height. Shows you how big the players have gotten. Marty's height is considered normal nowadays, and I've never heard him called a giraffe. B )