Breaking news: Devils sign Richard Matvichuk

Weekes Head

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. i like this signing, but this might be a replacement for Stevens untill he gets better and also.. i think he is getting overpaid abit..

Overpaid? I believe he took a paycut to sign here!

Good point, Living in TX I've seen a lot of Stars games and Matvichuk is a good solid defenseman, maybe now we can push Primeau and Handzus around. :D

Hmm.. i like this signing, but this might be a replacement for Stevens untill he gets better and also.. i think he is getting overpaid abit..

Well, not that I'm saying he's overpaid, but just because someone takes or gets a paycut doesn't mean they aren't being overpaid. :P

EDIT: Dammit :rant:

Yeah, I just don't think he's being overpaid either way, that's all :P

It is because he was making 2.2million last season.

I think he should've been cheaper.

Well, not that I'm saying he's overpaid, but just because someone takes or gets a paycut doesn't mean they aren't being overpaid. :P

EDIT: Dammit :rant:

Yeah, I just don't think he's being overpaid either way, that's all :P

It is because he was making 2.2million last season.

I think he should've been cheaper.

He's making 1.8 million a year...IMO that's not really that big of a deal -- doesn't seem like we're overpaying him.

I know I said otherwise in this thread, red, but I have to disagree.

A guy like Matvichuk isn't going to be available for 1.8 million a season all the time. Granted, his game has declined, but when he was in his prime with Dallas, he was a #3 who played top minutes with Hatcher. If he returns to that form, he is an absolute bargain. Considering the money that has been shelled out to similar defensemen like Jon Klemm and Darius Kasparaitis in recent summers past, this is a deal Lou can't pass up, if he thinks Matvichuk is capable of being a 3 again.

This gives Lou all kinds of maneuvering room, the ability to trade numerous players, and it only cost 1.8 million for this season.

Matvichuk is not a top shutdown defenseman. He cannot play top minutes in a Stevens-like role, unless he were paired with Niedermayer. I just cannot see this as a Stevens replacement.

Edited by Triumph

It's the typical Lou move. Nobody expected it, and he's making out like a bandit in the process. Granted, Matvichuk is a much bigger name than Lou's usual targets, but that, in a way, is what makes it unexpected.

I'll admit, I'm a bit thrown by the massive number of signings the Devils have made lately. It very well could be that Lou's locking up trade bait rather than solidifying a roster, but it's still odd considering his usual MO. Then again, it's possible Lou's starting to realize that you can't rely solely on development and third-tier free agents. You have to go out and sign a big name every once in a while.

Don;t get me wrong Ithink its a great pick up, but I have toruble beleiveing LL would spend this money if he thoguth SS was coming back....

This kind of money? $1.8 mill per year isn't exactly expensive.

Hold it NJay, Matvichuk is set to be making Larionov type money here. Remember how important he was to the team?

Responding to previous posts . . .

yep, Matty is his nickname, but I kinda like Chuckie :evil:

Matty almost always was the #2 guy, paired with Hatcher. Occasionally, he would be switched around, but not very often. His last 2 years have been sub-par, so you can't blame it on losing Hatch. You might be able to blame it on the switch in Coaches & defensive systems. I hope it's that and not a reduction in skills.

He has a wicked laser of a shot, when he uses it.

Like I said, I think he'll fit in great here!

And yeah . . . . you just can't get rid of me. :P

And that picture RD made up . . . he *always* looks like that! He's afraid to crack a smile. And he has a deep, monotone voice. I don't think he likes media attention.

OK... here goes... I think I have a secret crush on Darien Hatcher...

:argh: ok -- it's out there now.. .so maybe I can purge it :P

So anyhow -- It's nice to have a new Dman I must say. I sort of like this guy's karma even though I have a strange feeling ;) he's not the most reputable of characters when you get a drink or two in him :P He seems like he'll be good for the team.

EDIT: SH!T sammied when I put such a humiliating confession at the top of my post... dammit! :rant:

Edited by Pepperkorn

I sort of like this guy's karma even though I have a strange feeling ;) he's not the most reputable of characters when you get a drink or two in him :P

Well, according to some stories I read on the old Dallas ESPN board about him and puck bunnies in public bathrooms, he's not always the most reputable character off the ice. It's always the quiet ones, I guess. But that didn't stop many people from loving Arnie, so as long as he plays well on the ice, I doubt it will matter with him.

Guest Devsrule
I like him actually...ok so he doesn't know a thing about hockey but at least he is an exciting guy.

I enjoy listening to him before games though because he is a funny energetic guy.