Breaking news: Devils sign Richard Matvichuk

Weekes Head

Interesting, when I saw that their were no news stories this morning, I didn't think the next story would involve the Devils signing a player. Lou seems more active this off- season. I figured he'd just get his own players to sign. Now he has to sign the remaining Devils and I hope he has one more surprising move left for an offensive game breaker up his sleeve. B )

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, when I saw that their were no news stories this morning, I didn't think the next story would involve the Devils signing a player. Lou seems more active this off- season. I figured he'd just get his own players to sign. Now he has to sign the remaining Devils and I hope he has one more surprising move left for an offensive game breaker up his sleeve. B )

It is obvious to me that Lou has a plan.

We needed to get bigger on "D and we have done that.

The only thing left is a large sized 1st or 2nd line center.

Our Center right now are Gomez, Madden and Hrdina/Rass.

Kozlov is not going to be a top center.

Looking for a center bigger than 6'5", 235lbs? That's a tall order to fill. (Oh jeebus, I didn't even have that pun in mind when I typed that.)

I still think Kozlov will be given a full season, or at least the start of one, to prove his worth for the Devils.

I agree with you thinking, but jeez, Kozlov deservedlybarely played in the playoffs.

He's a more talented Michael Rupp.... proving that size may not matter.

Kozlov was also getting over a concussion and hadn't had time to find chemistry with linemates.

Look at Langenbrunner's performance in the 2001-2002 playoffs, and then his 2002-2003 season + playoffs. Who's to say Kozlov won't follow suit?

Goot point about the concussion.... I really hope you are correct.

If he turns out to be bad or useless like Sean Brown, I can see his name becoming Matvichuk-his-ass-outta-here

Matty is not even in the same league as Brown, he is so much better it isn't funny. A couple of years ago he would have been considered Dallas's #3 after Zubov and Hatcher. He really steps up his game come playoff time. I have had reliable Vancouver fans tell me Matty was the only player to do a good job on bertuzzi and totaly shut him down.

I know he's better than Sean Brown, I was just using him as a "useless" example.

NJay you're far more patient with the lack of humor in others than I am :P

SOooo what I'm hearing here is that we all are thinking we have to sacrifice quality or depth I should say AND probably depth as well. So do you all think our rookies are that ready to go? (I know Hale and Martin aren't rookies anymore but they are but babes to me -- I can see having one young 'un like how White was brought up... fo course when I was looking at Stevens past I was thinking why dont' they just dump the young guys in like they used to... so I dont' know!) And do we really have solid depth in our loser Rats system? That we can afford to lose four and pick up one?

I'm not doubting anyone's opinion -- I just wonder what you all are thinking... Just the logic is weird -- Devils have been trying the past few seasons to get three offensive D men and three stay at homes .. and now that they have basically acheived this in a relatively painless manor (if they resign Rafalski) you all think Lou wants to make it four solid guys and then two floaters....when even in the past few season when we had what amounted to four solid guys we had four floaters -- it seems you all get the feeling Lou will take 4 quality (two being rookies <_< you KNOW what I mean!) and two floaters and have no 7th Dman even :noclue: I think Alby is retiring to be frank -- though I'd like him to stick around I guess.

Stevens (Big Question Mark) - Martin

White - Nieds

Chuckie - Hale

Alby riding the pine

OR

White - Nieds

Chuckie - Martin

DeMarchi - Hale (oy)

Alby rides the pine

OR

White - Nieds

Chuckie - Martin

Alby - Hale (Brilliant :rolleyes: )

DeMarchi rides the pine (tsk tsk - that's a waste)

I dont see the logic in the lack of depth losing Rafalski gets you. It's not the way fo the Devils and I'm not at all comfortable with the looks of any of this... If DiMarchi were offensive maybe I'd see letting go of Rafalski... I don't know... I just don't know guys -is there someone else closer to coming up than I realise?

So you all tell me what you're thinking then....

Edited by Pepperkorn

I think I mentioned this on this board already, but how would a trade proposal of Friesen+Rafalski for Marco Sturm+?

I would not do it. Even without considering his injury he is not the big center the Devils need. I would not trade two core guys from the roster for him.

This is too funny. The Devils are spending money left and right. And they gave Matvichuk a four-year contract. He's not a bad D-man by any stretch. But four years might be too many. I've seen guys decline in similar deals. Matvichuk isn't the fastest skater either. He'll play physical. He does address one of your team needs. But to me, he's already an injury risk.

'01-02 D 24 RICHARD MATVICHUK 82 9 12 21 11 52 4 0 2 0 109 8.3

'02-03 D 24 RICHARD MATVICHUK 68 19:23 1 5 6 1 58 0 0 1 0 59 1.7

'03-04 D 24 RICHARD MATVICHUK 75 21:50 1 20 21 0 36 0 0 1 0 85 1.2

I'm glad my team didn't sign him.

I love this quote in the TSN.ca's Your Call section:

You know, the Leafs really blew it on Shaq's free agency situation! Shaq woul've been a perfect fit with the leafs! They should also sign Zidane, Emmitt Smith and Elvis Stojko!

So true though, when you look at the Your Call for ANY player who signs anywhere, Leafs fans always bitch and moan that Toronto should have gotten that player or that the Leafs dropped the ball on another player.... :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I couldnt have said it better myself!!!! usually when there is a player that signs with another team, Ill go on there and say things like "Pat Quinn was sleeping on this one, how come the Leafs werent involved, everyone should want to play in Toronto...and then I hear from the other anti-Leaf$ fans saying Im nuts and that "my" Leafs dont deserve every player....but of course they dont notice my screenname is PYATT24 and Im a Sabres fan!! :rofl::rofl:

Look at this picture at TSN involving our new guy:

chin_2827.jpg

Acouple things you can come to conclusion about this picture.

1. Matvichuk is punching himself in the face.

2. He also likes to throw his elbow out there.

3. Smyth's head has been deattached from his body.

4. The ref behind him ALREADY has his hand up.

:lol:

Edited by NJayDevil

The New Jersey Devils shored up their defence on Monday, signing unrestricted free agent blueliner Richard Matvichuk, according to Sports Radio 1310 in Dallas.

It is a four-year contract worth $8.5 million.

Matvichuk, 31, made $2.2 million US last season with the Dallas Stars. He spent his entire 12-year career with the team, scoring 38 goals and 167 points in 733 games.

More to follow.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=90925&hubName=nhl

OH MY!! :o

$o much for the Sabres keeping Zhitnik....what NHL cri$i$?? :noclue:

This is too funny. The Devils are spending money left and right. And they gave Matvichuk a four-year contract. He's not a bad D-man by any stretch. But four years might be too many. I've seen guys decline in similar deals. Matvichuk isn't the fastest skater either. He'll play physical. He does address one of your team needs. But to me, he's already an injury risk.

'01-02 D 24 RICHARD MATVICHUK 82 9 12 21 11 52 4 0 2 0 109 8.3

'02-03 D 24 RICHARD MATVICHUK 68 19:23 1 5 6 1 58 0 0 1 0 59 1.7

'03-04 D 24 RICHARD MATVICHUK 75 21:50 1 20 21 0 36 0 0 1 0 85 1.2

I'm glad my team didn't sign him.

He has sat an average of 7 games over the past 3 seasons and that is injury prone?

-Scott