2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Would Boucher being sent down have something to do with his eligibility to play in the AHL during the olympic break? I would imagine that was part of the reason. I still doubt any kind of outside help is on the way.

Not really - the only thing Boucher has to avoid doing is playing in 16 of the Devils' last 20 games.  So if he misses 4 NJ games, he can be sent down for the break.  Thing is, he's been playing all year, so I'm not sure him playing at the break is necessarily in NJ's interest (unlike people like Gelinas and Merrill who've missed some games).

Joe Whitney has been Albany's leading scorer each of the 3 seasons he has been there. Must have been tough staying positive as he watched so many players get called up.

Here is a list of forwards that were called up before he was:

Brad Mills

Stephane Veilleux

Steven Zalewski

Vladimir Zharkov

Tim Sestito

Rod Pelley

Stephen Gionta

Nick Palmieri

Harri Pesonen

Cam Janssen

Matt Anderson

Mike Sislo

They also looked for offense/depth by bringing in Steve Sullivan, Tom Kostoupolous, Matt D'agostini, Bobby Butler, etc.

Joe Whitney has been Albany's leading scorer each of the 3 seasons he has been there. Must have been tough staying positive as he watched so many players get called up.

Brad Mills

Stephane Veilleux

Steven Zalewski

Vladimir Zharkov

Tim Sestito

Rod Pelley

Stephen Gionta

Nick Palmieri

Harri Pesonen

Cam Janssen

Matt Anderson

Mike Sislo

They also looked for offense/depth by bringing in Steve Sullivan, Tom Kostoupolous, Matt D'agostini, Bobby Butler, etc.

He wasn't signed to an NHL contract until this off-season.  Either way, a guy like Whitney has zero pedigree, didn't even have 4 good years in college, and isn't going to make it in the NHL as anything but a scoreline player, which I doubt he's good enough to be.  But it'll be interesting seeing him work with Jagr.

henrique said he was struck in thumb with the puck which is why he left early from last game.. said it was the same thumb that he has surgically repaired last year but x-ray showed up negative and will play friday... if anyone was wondering i know there was some concern floating around here about him

Brad Mills

Stephane Veilleux

Steven Zalewski

Vladimir Zharkov

Tim Sestito

Rod Pelley

Stephen Gionta

Nick Palmieri

Harri Pesonen

Cam Janssen

Matt Anderson

Mike Sislo

To be fair, a good portion of those players were brought up to muck it up on the 4th line, which isn't really Whitney's game.

To be fair, a good portion of those players were brought up to muck it up on the 4th line, which isn't really Whitney's game.

I understand. I also understand that he didn't have an NHL contract. Just trying to get in the mindset of Albany's best player seeing forward after forward getting called up and wondering if he'll get that opportunity.

I understand. I also understand that he didn't have an NHL contract. Just trying to get in the mindset of Albany's best player seeing forward after forward getting called up and wondering if he'll get that opportunity.

On that line of thinking, he seems like the kind of guy that pays his dues and earned everything he's got. I think he'll really seize this opportunity and be a bit of a spark plug on that line. It wouldn't even shock me to see him score tomorrow night or even better, get his first career goal in Yankee Stadium, which would be amazing for him. I just hope he can maintain whatever energy he brings, because the goaltending and defense is finally where it should be. We just need that damn offense to capitalize on it's chances like it did Tuesday.

I'm not so sure he was Albany's best forward, though he was certainly Albany's best power play forward.

Would Boucher being sent down have something to do with his eligibility to play in the AHL during the olympic break? I would imagine that was part of the reason. I still doubt any kind of outside help is on the way.

Not really - the only thing Boucher has to avoid doing is playing in 16 of the Devils' last 20 games.  So if he misses 4 NJ games, he can be sent down for the break.  Thing is, he's been playing all year, so I'm not sure him playing at the break is necessarily in NJ's interest (unlike people like Gelinas and Merrill who've missed some games).

Lamoriello said Boucher’s demotion has nothing to do with Friday’s deadline of sending players to the minors so that they’re eligible to play there during the Olympic break next month.

“No, because that has a statistic number to it,” Lamoriello said. “That will never get in a way to making decisions. These games are too important. I can assure you we’re going to have the best roster to win.”

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/01/devils_summon_joe_whitney_for_first_nhl_stint_as_lw_on_top_line.html

Two off-wings on the same line?  Can't see it.  Sadly there isn't a ton available - NJ could go after Moulson but I'd prefer they save their resources.

It is a Lou type move, when everyone looks at the younger gagner type players he gets the older cheap guys like Hrdini or Sullivan...

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac