2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

It is really amazing how the two situations mirror each other to a degree though.  Both Pete and Rex's lasting shining moment was beating the hated rival in the playoffs.  Both to a degree are victims of a declining roster and their own stubborness.  Main difference being Rex was a LOT more popular with the fans.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It is really amazing how the two situations mirror each other to a degree though.  Both Pete and Rex's lasting shining moment was beating the hated rival in the playoffs.  Both to a degree are victims of a declining roster and their own stubborness.  Main difference being Rex was a LOT more popular with the fans.

He was definitely, and while some of it falls at Rex's feet the guy has never EVER had a QB in 6 years that's finished higher than 21st overall in QB efficiency (I think that was Sanchez's best performance as a jet, 2010 I believe) and from then on he's had the offensive talent (and eventually defensive talent) peeled away from under his nose.

I mean does he not deserve one chance with a steady stable hand QB, I mean it's been Sanchez, McElroy, Tebow, a disinterested Vick, Smith. Who the hell can win with that sh!t lining up under center?

I know it can't and won't happen but an incoming GM has to give Rex a fair shake and true evaluation. Yes he's been here for 6 years and x, y, and z has happened since them...but is the guy I'm bringing in really better than him? Is Dan Quinn a better option? Is Darrell Bevell. If I'm an incoming GM...the coach that I want may already be here. I just have to give him the right tools unlike Idzik.

Leave it to Geno Smith to muddy the waters by putting up a perfect passer rating (the only one this entire football season...not Brady, not Manning, not Rodgers...GENO) Cant take anything away from him, aside from the fumble he was damn near perfect. Dropped some nice touch passes in there.

Chris Mortensen reports that Idzik is gone tomorrow and the new GM, whoever it may be, will decide Rex's fate. Good, the candidates out there (Mora Jr. Bowles) are not impressive at all and Rex at least deserves a fair shake to try and retain his job.

re:  Rex...I like him.  Always have.  He was what the Jets needed when they hired him.  The organization clearly hasn't always done right by him, especially once John Idzik (a guy who simply had no business ever being an NFL GM) was hired. 

That being said, he's not blameless either.  He's has his fair share of games where his team simply didn't show up, which does poke some holes in the myth of "Rex's players always play hard for him".  Yes, there's been several games where they DO play hard for him, but only when they feel like it, and that goes for his defense as well.  Francesca also said something about Rex that did have some truth...that as his era went on, everyone associated with the Jets seemed too easily satisfied...this was after the loss against Buffalo, when the Jets had kicked a field goal to pull to within seven, and everyone on the sideline was going nuts just after.  On some levels, it felt like Rex, the team, and even the fans were happy with the two AFC Championship appearances, and the urgency to build off those games and do even better just wasn't as strong as it should have been.

Admittedly, if I was in charge, considering what else is out there, I'd probably hang on to Rex.  Like I said, I do like him and I still think there's something there.  I can't say I would do it with unwavering confidence though. 

per NFLN now it's official Rex and Idzik both out.

Remarkably their only true 'no-show' games this year were the San Diego movies fiasco and the second Buffalo game.  They actually had far more no-show games last year when they were 8-8 but seemingly getting blown out almost every week they did lose.

I like Rex too but he's definitely run his course.  For one thing they have to bulid a good offense and they're probably not going to do it with Rex still around considering all the changes they've had on the offensive side of the ball to zero/negative effect.  For another you just can't give Rex a THIRD GM to work with, I don't know what other coach in any sport gets three GM's (without a title to their name).  Might as well have him exit stage right now while the fans still are clamoring for more, cause if he did come back next year and the team wasn't 10-6 or better eventually he'd finally get criticism.  And for all his good with the defense did it still felt like they would never get the one truly big stop in many games.

Still it's remarkable the way this whole thing played out this year.  Rex was dead man walking from the halfway point but the fans backlash because of that and towards Idzik ensured he was out too, I don't remember ever seeing this kind of groundswell to boot a GM from the fans.  There've been plenty of coaches the fans turned on ('Joe Must Go!' for one) but they never turned on Rex.  Much of it because of his personality but still you'd figure eventually with four straight playoff-less seasons the fans would cool on Rex.

You're right about the D never getting a big stop in a big game. He was always far too aggressive and too chest thumping bombastic. A lot of that over aggression led to a lot of out opponents converting a ton of big 3rd downs against us late in games. Rex just send the house and expects everything to work out.

With Casserly in here and now Ron Wolf returning to the Jets I have faith that we have the solid football men in place to put the franchise on the right track.

Edited by '7'

You guys are fair about Rex, in that he had his share of faults too, and I think the Idzik-hate is so strong (as it should be) that Rex has been getting glorified by some...to the point where some fans think he was a much better coach than he really was (I think he was pretty good overall, but definitely wasn't where he needed to be just yet). 

Personally the best fit for Rex in my opinion would be Cincinatti.....I know you never hear mumblings about Marvin Lewis, but if they lost to an awful Indy team again this week it would be time to finally can Lewis

Forte, Bennett, Jeffrey, Marshall...sign him up. That D will be top 10 easy with Rex

Ryan, White, Douglas, Jones, Jackson in Atlanta too. Both places where he'll have weapons on offense and have a chance to fix up an awful defense. I'd honestly be surprised if he ends up anywhere but one of those two places. Edited by MadDog2020

Personally the best fit for Rex in my opinion would be Cincinatti.....I know you never hear mumblings about Marvin Lewis, but if they lost to an awful Indy team again this week it would be time to finally can Lewis

Mike Brown is way too much of a tight-ass to deal with Rex. That wouldn't work.

Mike Brown is way too much of a tight-ass to deal with Rex. That wouldn't work.

How the hell does Mike Brown have time to own an NFL football team AND post on njdevs about the Devils' attendance figures and their %chances of making the playoffs?  That guy's got too much sh!t on his plate.

Still it's remarkable the way this whole thing played out this year.  Rex was dead man walking from the halfway point but the fans backlash because of that and towards Idzik ensured he was out too, I don't remember ever seeing this kind of groundswell to boot a GM from the fans.  There've been plenty of coaches the fans turned on ('Joe Must Go!' for one) but they never turned on Rex.  Much of it because of his personality but still you'd figure eventually with four straight playoff-less seasons the fans would cool on Rex.

Re:  the bolded...that was truly amazing.  The last groundswell I can remember on that level (though it was much more brief) was during a chilly afternoon in 1998 on WFAN, when Mike Piazza was available and Steve Phillips, during an interview with Mike Francesa, spewed a bunch of lame corporate speak as to why the Mets probably weren't going to go after him, though they desperately needed him.  Francesa took incensed call after incensed call (those Mets had absolutely no buzz, though the pitching staff had gotten off to a terrific start), and finally told his staff to get Fred Wilpon on the phone.  Francesa basically told him flat-out that he didn't think the Wilpons were being fair to their fans (wow, so much has changed since then)...obviously there's tampering rules in place, but Wilpon basically made it sound like of course they would definitely add a guy like Piazza to the team...the rumors say that Wilpon basically lambasted Phillips for his interview and told him to get off his ass and get Piazza ASAP.

Picture that Phillips interview over and over and over again, and you get Sandy Alderson.

But yeah, I think the fans definitely help to get Idzik the hell out of there.  Good for them.  That guy was a complete joke.   

i always felt that rex was over rated. a coach shouldnt need to have probowl players surrounding him to be successful and the years where he found success with the ravens & jets both rosters were very deep. he will be a good dc somewhere, but when it comes to being a hc rex is in over his head

Not knows what he is doing is a bit extreme. If you give him above average talent he'll win. Last year he went 8-8 with below average talent. This year it was even worse and he was 4-12. I can understand people saying he's not a great coach, but it's pretty clear he's not a bad one.

Dan Quinn (Morristown NJ native) will be interviewing for the Jets job. It's been rumored he's been the frontrunner for months already. I'm thinking the job will be his once the Seahawks season ends. The Jets will also need to satisfy the Rooney rule so I can see them interviewing Todd Bowles or Dennis Thurman for the job.

It would be the height of irony if he got the job since he was supposedly one of Idzik's targets for obvious reasons.

And the lack of accountability was troubling at times with Rex (the whole Geno Smith missing a meeting in San Diego, not disciplining Santonio Holmes when he went off the reservation in Miami) and probably Rex's biggest fault even more than his offensive blind spot.  But eventually most coaches learn and if they don't they fall by the wayside.  Pete Carroll was 'too nice' his first time around too but somewhere along the line managed to find a balance between being a good person and still holding guys accountable.  

It wasn't to the level of Kotite who couldn't coach or put together a gameplan though, Rex can get a team to play...there's a reason almost every game with the Patriots was tight despite them having much better rosters than we do.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_1328_zps07749535.png

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/pepper-johnson-named-jets-defensive-line-coach-1.9841405

Lost in all the hoopla of DeflateGate, the Jets made a rather smart signing.. bringing aboard a guy with 5 Superbowl rings (2 as a player, 3 as a coach) Pepper Johnson, to coach the D-line.