2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

That's not fair, Fitzpatrick is a solid NFL qb. Not spectacular but he miles ahead of Geno. Geno will never sniff a 63% completion percentage in the NFL Geno was 29th last year in total QB rating. Fitz was 18th, between Kaepernick and Dalton

Plus Fitz doesn't automatically lock them into status quo if they do decide to take Mariotta or some other QB comes available for the right price.

Plus Fitz doesn't automatically lock them into status quo if they do decide to take Mariotta or some other QB comes available for the right price.

I can see them taking Mariotta and outright releasing Geno. Mariotta can then sit and learn for 2 yrs. To me that's the ideal situation

Does Idzik get credit for freeing up cap space for these moves?

He did clear up that space, that's not debatable. But he had the space last year and didn't use it. Who knows how he would've used it this year.

He did clear up that space, that's not debatable. But he had the space last year and didn't use it. Who knows how he would've used it this year.

Plus part of the reason he was able to clear that space was because of letting Revis go in the first place...new management corrected that penny wise, pound foolish move :P

Idzik was a cap manager, that's it. He had no concept of being able to spot talent and I'm still semi convinced he was trying to sabotage Rex in the process.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Plus part of the reason he was able to clear that space was because of letting Revis go in the first place...new management corrected that penny wise, pound foolish move :P

Idzik was a cap manager, that's it. He had no concept of being able to spot talent and I'm still semi convinced he was trying to sabotage Rex in the process.

And let's face it...if just about ANY other GM is in charge last year, Revis would've been a Jet again and the NE scenario never plays out.  Sure, worked out for him in that he got to parachute into NE long enough to help that team win a Super Bowl, but that was only because the Jets wouldn't ante up the cash.  Yeah, I think money is definitely his primary motivation, but even with that, I think his heart is very much in NY and always has been since he started playing for them...this wound up being a "best of all things" scenario for him.

And let's face it...if just about ANY other GM is in charge last year, Revis would've been a Jet again and the NE scenario never plays out.  Sure, worked out for him in that he got to parachute into NE long enough to help that team win a Super Bowl, but that was only because the Jets wouldn't ante up the cash.  Yeah, I think money is definitely his primary motivation, but even with that, I think his heart is very much in NY and always has been since he started playing for them...this wound up being a "best of all things" scenario for him.

Honestly we'll never really know how much of the Revis thing was Idzik and how much of it was Woody getting his nose bent out of joint by the constant holdouts.

As for Revis...happy to have him back but he can cut the "I'm coming home" stuff. Home is wherever he gets paid. Jacksonville would be home if they paid him. NE would be home. I don't have the same fan like connection to Revis as I do to guys like Mangold, Chrebet, and other Jet lifers. Revis is an employee getting paid big bucks to perform...so just go out there and do it.

:lol:

There's a few different versions of this on the Jets board I post on but I like this one just cause you can hear the softer I'm coming home part :P 

Jets sign Antonio Cromartie

Jets sign Antonio Cromartie

March 12th, 2015 2:55 pm

The Jets will sign CB Antonio Cromartie (Schefter, March 12).

Cromartie will reportedly earn $8 million a year for four years (Slater, March 12).

The Jets were the “clear leader” to sign Cromartie. “[Darrelle] Revis is the recruiter,” according to reporter Ian Rapoport (March 11).

Edited by '7'

The Jets whipped out the checkbook and made the CB position from a weakness to a strength overnight (well over 2 nights) Cro and Revis + Skrine in the nickel (upgrade over Wilson, Skrine can actually force a turnover every so often)

Milliner will back both of them up now as CB #3. Hopefully he can learn from the best in what's about to be his 2nd pro season

wow, the Jets with probably one of the best defenses in the nfl now.  making moves.

im not a jet fan, but i do like Rex Ryan. i will say that if they gave Rex this roster, he'd get em to the playoffs.

can't disagree with that. Ryan is probably quietly fuming over this

They still need to shore up the safety position, and may go with someone like Beasley or Gregory with #6...but overall our D is looking really solid and just about complete

Still in a division with Suh and the Bills front 7 they may want to consider a guard in round 2.

wow, the Jets with probably one of the best defenses in the nfl now. making moves.

im not a jet fan, but i do like Rex Ryan. i will say that if they gave Rex this roster, he'd get em to the playoffs.

The Jets defense looks solid all around now... And it's gonna have to be, because Ryan Fitzpatrick will be putting them back on the field a lot. Edited by MadDog2020

The Jets defense looks solid all around now... And it's gonna have to be, because Ryan Fitzpatrick will be putting them back on the field a lot.

9th rated passer in the league last year. Not a tiny sample size either

Sometimes, as we've seen, bringing in lots of names from here and there doesn't always work out as expected, but it's really hard to argue against what the Jets are doing right now.  They're putting money into the on-field product and doing it where it makes sense.  I just wonder what the plan is for their QB beyond 2015...their secondary acquisitions (especially Cro and Revis) are on the shorter-term side (figure 2-3 year window...sure, it might be longer, but that's not a given).  Gilchrist is at least only 26. 

I get Fitzpatrick for the moment.  But I can't think the Jets think of him as being their guy for the next few years.  

Gotta say, I am very impressed with the Jets moves this off-season.

• March 1st: Jets pickup options on Calvin Pace & Jason Babin.

• March 8th: Jets trade 5th round draft pick for Brandon Marshall.

• March 9th: Jets resign David Harris & Bilal Powell.

• March 10th: Jets sign James Carpenter.

• March 11th: Jets sign Darrelle Revis & Buster Skrine.

• March 11th: Jets trade 7th round draft pick for Mark Fitzpatrick.

• March 12th: Jets sign Antonio Cromartie, and resign Willie Colon.

• March 13th: Jets sign Marcus Gilchrist.

..and now various reports saying we're interested in signing 2x Probowler Randy Starks aswell.

https://twitter.com/Steiny31/status/575804603398234113

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/576377295792967680

Mike Maccagnan :hail: WOW.. just, wow....

Edited by Beezer34

Sometimes, as we've seen, bringing in lots of names from here and there doesn't always work out as expected, but it's really hard to argue against what the Jets are doing right now.  They're putting money into the on-field product and doing it where it makes sense.  I just wonder what the plan is for their QB beyond 2015...their secondary acquisitions (especially Cro and Revis) are on the shorter-term side (figure 2-3 year window...sure, it might be longer, but that's not a given).  Gilchrist is at least only 26. 

I get Fitzpatrick for the moment.  But I can't think the Jets think of him as being their guy for the next few years.  

The Jets might really like somebody like Garret Grayson or Bryce Petty and will try to take him later in the draft, and have him sit for 2 years.

The Jets might really like somebody like Garret Grayson or Bryce Petty and will try to take him later in the draft, and have him sit for 2 years.

Don't know about that.  I think the Jets are really trying to fast-track winning and create a "win now" window.  I could be wrong, but I think Fitz is meant to be a one-year stopgap and nothing more.  I think the Jets want to have someone who's established and able to take them deep into the playoffs in 2016.  I just don't know who that is (if Brees is available and has a productive 2015, and New Orleans is in full tear-it-down mode, I can see it being him). 

And it's funny with guys like Fitz...no one thinks too much about guys like him, and he's never anyone's final choice, but here he is at 32 years old, with 96 games under his belt, and likely to get another chance to start.  Guys like him don't always have memorable careers, but they find ways to survive and stick around.  And sometimes, like Trent Dilfer did, these guys even wind up winning a Super Bowl.

Don't know about that.  I think the Jets are really trying to fast-track winning and create a "win now" window.  I could be wrong, but I think Fitz is meant to be a one-year stopgap and nothing more.  I think the Jets want to have someone who's established and able to take them deep into the playoffs in 2016.  I just don't know who that is (if Brees is available and has a productive 2015, and New Orleans is in full tear-it-down mode, I can see it being him). 

And it's funny with guys like Fitz...no one thinks too much about guys like him, and he's never anyone's final choice, but here he is at 32 years old, with 96 games under his belt, and likely to get another chance to start.  Guys like him don't always have memorable careers, but they find ways to survive and stick around.  And sometimes, like Trent Dilfer did, these guys even wind up winning a Super Bowl.

Their moves certainly suggest they're not looking to wait, even Tanneybaum didn't make this big a splash right out of the gate.  And certainly there's a school of thought in the NFL that you can win any season since teams go from 4-12 to 11-5 every year.  By the same token, I can't say they're being completely reckless yet - they haven't traded high picks or signed super-big money deals they can't get out of in a couple years or so if need be.  And honestly the CB position/secondary needed an overhaul with how badly it was neglected last year and the uncertainty of the guys previously on the roster, especially since Bowles is the only coach who loves corners more than Rex (his guys in Arizona last year were Peterson, Cro and the Honeybadger).

We saw a guy like Fitz years ago make a name for himself - Vinny, who was a career journeyman and was a turnover machine before getting here, but had a MVP-type season once he got the right coaching/system.  That's probably too much to hope for with a rookie coach and Chan Gailey but the precedent is there.  Rich Gannon was a journeyman too before getting with Oakland late in his career.

• 1 month later...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12692601/rex-ryan-fires-back-new-york-jets-jace-amaro-accountability-comment

"He's [Jace Amaro] full of sh!t, and I'll remind him of that when we play him. We weren't perfect, and I never said we were going to be perfect. But that's a fvcking bullsh!t comment. If he's happy that he's got a different coach in place, that's great. But we'll see how happy he is when I play against him. I want success for Woody Johnson, I do. But don't kid yourself -- we're gonna try to kick the sh!t out of them when we bring our team in. We're going to whip your ass. There are people in that organization who are going to be lifelong friends to me. But this is my damn football family now."  --Rex Ryan

Rex speaking from the heart here. He sounds like a man that's still very hurt.

Absolutely. The Bills (unlike the Jets last season) have taken the duct tape off of Rex's mouth. Indeed he has been scorned.

Anyway, nice job by the Jets getting Stevan Ridley here. He is fumble prone but also only a year removed from 1200 yards and still in the prime of his career. I like the Ivory/Powell/Ridley backfield. Johnson was on his last legs last season. Ridley will contribute more.