2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Fitzpatrick to the Jets is picking up steam

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/jets-pursue-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-blog-entry-1.2142676

Will Monday's flurry of quarterback movement in Houston lead Ryan Fitzpatrick to the New York Jets?

With the Texans planning to sign both Ryan Mallett and former Browns passer Brian Hoyer, Fitzpatrick looms as a strong candidate for release. If (and when) that happens, Fitzpatrick would emerge as a top target for Gang Green, according to NFL Media's Albert Breer.

That might be better than actually signing Skrine :lol:

But seriously good start, now they still need at least one more corner and a safety to shore up the secondary.

Tied for the most penalties among CBs, along with Browner (15).  Doesn't mean it's not a good signing though. 

Speaking of Browner, looks like the Pats aren't picking up his option, meaning that they could lose Revis AND Browner.  Scary thought. 

Tied for the most penalties among CBs, along with Browner (15).  Doesn't mean it's not a good signing though. 

Speaking of Browner, looks like the Pats aren't picking up his option, meaning that they could lose Revis AND Browner.  Scary thought. 

hmmm. I thought I heard they just DID exercise the option on Browner. Maybe a bad twitter

—> His agent RT @schwartzfeinsod: Pending legal, @Revis24 has agreed to terms with the New York Jets #RevisIsland #nyjets

Well now we'll see just how much this cost us...but it's good to have him back for the moment.

Darrelle Revis was asking teams for $40 million guaranteed. Jets' deal expected to top that. North of $40M guaranteed.

lol but of course...what else is new? This was definitely PR as much as it was football-driven.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 47s48 seconds ago
Source: Darrelle Revis' contract with the Jets: 5 years, $70M ($39 FULLY guaranteed). $48M in first 3 years. #nyj

Just please tell me we're not going to deal with a holdout in the first three years at least, I'm as tired of Revis holdouts as I am NHL lockouts.

Seriously though it actually seems like a good contract considering, you might only want him the first three years of the deal anyway and supposedly all the guaranteed money is in the first three years.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Played out exactly like I thought it would. Sorry, bad job by the Pats here...they needed to step up and didn't, end of story. Back to BB and Puppet putting crap defenses on the field and hoping the offense bails them out.

As expected, much of Boston is in WTF?! mode today.  And they should be. 

This is BB buying into his own BS.  Yes, he won another Super Bowl, and that's a major achievement, and he deserves major credit for it.  But last year, he seemed to realize that, after years of his D not getting it done in big games, he knew there were serious weaknesses that he couldn't continue to ignore anymore.  So he did it in the best way possible...signing Revis and Browner.  Even then, BB's D still had its shaky and scary moments, especially against the Ravens and Seahawks, when in both cases the D was primed to lose again with the game on the line, but got a couple of breaks where yeah, they made the game-preserving plays, but you can definitely question the decision-making of their opposition that led to those chances. 

This isn't even about Revis going back to the Jets...where he was going didn't matter, as far as the Pats went.  Sure, the Jets are a better team now than they were 24 hours ago, but with their QB situation, they're probably not an immediate threat to the Pats.  This is about a team not giving itself its best chance to win, and it's about arrogance.  BB is clearly back in "It doesn't matter who I put out there, I'm the best damned football coach in the universe, and I can win with anyone.  No one is bigger than me."  No Bill.  You won this year due to a couple of big breaks and because Revis and Browner brought a dimension that had been sorely lacking for years.  You had every chance to make sure that the same defensive issues wouldn't rear their ugly heads again...how quickly you have forgotten.  And I don't hold a thing against Revis for leaving...everyone knows it's about money with him, including the Pats...they had to know he was looking for a serious payday.

Will the Pats make the playoffs next season, to the tune of 10-12 wins?  Probably.  Will they win the division?  Hard to bet against them...it's not like the rest of the AFC East hasn't tried to make moves to topple them before.  But when they have to go into Denver or Indy in the AFC Championship Game and the secondary is getting carved up like the old days, BB will have no one to blame but himself, for forgetting who helped him get there in 2015. 

Played out exactly like I thought it would. Sorry, bad job by the Pats here...they needed to step up and didn't, end of story. Back to BB and Puppet putting crap defenses on the field and hoping the offense bails them out.

You're worse than SD and Lou.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're worse than SD and Lou.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really.  Pats' D was a serious issue for a number of years.  That didn't get picked apart as much as it could have because the Pats were scoring 500+ points so often.  That unit got exposed in the playoffs...even at home (losing three home games, despite being damned near unbeatable at home in the regular season). 

Sorry, this move deserves harsh criticism.  Again, Brady's window is going to close fairly soon...no one has any idea what will happen after he's gone.  Great QBs should never be taken for granted...who knows when the Pats get someone like him again?  If they ever get someone like him again? 

I get losing guys like Vereen...Super Bowl teams always lose their fair share of contributors.  But Revis was a huge reason why the Pats were able to get over the hump, and losing him is extremely costly, especially when you're a team that hasn't been terribly good at putting pressure on the QB.  I know BB had won despite saying soyonara to some important names, but this one really defies logic.  Revis is clearly a damned near impossible guy to replace.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

As expected, much of Boston is in WTF?! mode today. And they should be.

This is BB buying into his own BS. Yes, he won another Super Bowl, and that's a major achievement, and he deserves major credit for it. But last year, he seemed to realize that, after years of his D not getting it done in big games, he knew there were serious weaknesses that he couldn't continue to ignore anymore. So he did it in the best way possible...signing Revis and Browner. Even then, BB's D still had its shaky and scary moments, especially against the Ravens and Seahawks, when in both cases the D was primed to lose again with the game on the line, but got a couple of breaks where yeah, they made the game-preserving plays, but you can definitely question the decision-making of their opposition that led to those chances.

This isn't even about Revis going back to the Jets...where he was going didn't matter, as far as the Pats went. Sure, the Jets are a better team now than they were 24 hours ago, but with their QB situation, they're probably not an immediate threat to the Pats. This is about a team not giving itself its best chance to win, and it's about arrogance. BB is clearly back in "It doesn't matter who I put out there, I'm the best damned football coach in the universe, and I can win with anyone. No one is bigger than me." No Bill. You won this year due to a couple of big breaks and because Revis and Browner brought a dimension that had been sorely lacking for years. You had every chance to make sure that the same defensive issues wouldn't rear their ugly heads again...how quickly you have forgotten. And I don't hold a thing against Revis for leaving...everyone knows it's about money with him, including the Pats...they had to know he was looking for a serious payday.

Will the Pats make the playoffs next season, to the tune of 10-12 wins? Probably. Will they win the division? Hard to bet against them...it's not like the rest of the AFC East hasn't tried to make moves to topple them before. But when they have to go into Denver or Indy in the AFC Championship Game and the secondary is getting carved up like the old days, BB will have no one to blame but himself, for forgetting who helped him get there in 2015.

Pardon me while I weep for you and Patriot fans around the globe... My heart breaks for all of you.

Not really.  Pats' D was a serious issue for a number of years.  That didn't get picked apart as much as it could have because the Pats were scoring 500+ points so often.  That unit got exposed in the playoffs...even at home (losing three home games, despite being damned near unbeatable at home in the regular season). 

Sorry, this move deserves harsh criticism.  Again, Brady's window is going to close fairly soon...no one has any idea what will happen after he's gone.  Great QBs should never be taken for granted...who knows when the Pats get someone like him again?  If they ever get someone like him again? 

I get losing guys like Vereen...Super Bowl teams always lose their fair share of contributors.  But Revis was a huge reason why the Pats were able to get over the hump, and losing him is extremely costly, especially when you're a team that hasn't been terribly good at putting pressure on the QB.  I know BB had won despite saying soyonara to some important names, but this one really defies logic.  Revis is clearly a damned near impossible guy to replace.         

I don't have the inclination to go through the cap math, but from what you hear the Jets could not be outbid, and Revis wanted as much money as possible.  It's very much a Lou and Zach situation, nothing the Pats could realistically do about it in the end.

And really, it's the right move.  That's a lot of money to give a 30 year old corner back, who, while still very good, is not the dominant player he was on the Jets.   

Pardon me while I weep for you and Patriot fans around the globe... My heart breaks for all of you.

If I'm in your shoes of course I'm loving this.  Pats are a weaker team today than they were last season, which is better for the teams chasing them.  It wasn't a "Feel sorry for Patriot fans" post.  Just a rant. 

I don't have the inclination to go through the cap math, but from what you hear the Jets could not be outbid, and Revis wanted as much money as possible.  It's very much a Lou and Zach situation, nothing the Pats could realistically do about it in the end.

And really, it's the right move.  That's a lot of money to give a 30 year old corner back, who, while still very good, is not the dominant player he was on the Jets.   

They cut enough money that I think they could've found a way.  Might have left them thin in some other places (and Browner would've been gone for sure), but I think Revis was important enough to take that chance.  Pats are firmly in "right now" mode.

Anyway, done with this topic, Revis is a Jet and it's over.  Will be interesting to see how they build off this...and how the Pats recover.

If I'm in your shoes of course I'm loving this. Pats are a weaker team today than they were last season, which is better for the teams chasing them. It wasn't a "Feel sorry for Patriot fans" post. Just a rant.

They cut enough money that I think they could've found a way. Might have left them thin in some other places (and Browner would've been gone for sure), but I think Revis was important enough to take that chance. Pats are firmly in "right now" mode.

Anyway, done with this topic, Revis is a Jet and it's over. Will be interesting to see how they build off this...and how the Pats recover.

I'm not loving it as much as I could be, seeing as Mevis the Merc stayed in the division... But it won't matter because until #12 retires, nothing is gonna change.

As a Dolphins fan, I approve. FitzGeno. Beuatiful.

Stopgap, but yeah, Fitz has been nothing but a turnover machine against the Pats.

Call me crazy, but I have a real funny feeling the Jets are going to go after Drew Brees after next season (as long as he's not showing any signs of decline).  He's a UFA after the 2016 season.  Or Rivers, who goes UFA after 2015.  We know QBs like them rarely get to UFA status, but I think the Jets are going to be very aggressive in trying to improve their team with established guys, and doing it quickly. 

Stopgap, but yeah, Fitz has been nothing but a turnover machine against the Pats.

Call me crazy, but I have a real funny feeling the Jets are going to go after Drew Brees after next season (as long as he's not showing any signs of decline). He's a UFA after the 2016 season. Or Rivers, who goes UFA after 2015. We know QBs like them rarely get to UFA status, but I think the Jets are going to be very aggressive in trying to improve their team with established guys, and doing it quickly.

The only way Rivers gets to UFA is if one of his arms falls off between now and then. Brees maybe, but if New Orleans lets him go, you know he's toast. So if the Jets wanna chase a 36-year old QB who would likely be toast, I say let 'em.

That's not fair, Fitzpatrick is a solid NFL qb. Not spectacular but he miles ahead of Geno. Geno will never sniff a 63% completion percentage in the NFL Geno was 29th last year in total QB rating. Fitz was 18th, between Kaepernick and Dalton

As for Revis...happy to have him back but he can cut the "I'm coming home" stuff. Home is wherever he gets paid. Jacksonville would be home if they paid him. NE would be home. I don't have the same fan like connection to Revis as I do to guys like Mangold, Chrebet, and other Jet lifers. Revis is an employee getting paid big bucks to perform...so just go out there and do it.

As for Revis...happy to have him back but he can cut the "I'm coming home" stuff. Home is wherever he gets paid. Jacksonville would be home if they paid him. NE would be home. I don't have the same fan like connection to Revis as I do to guys like Mangold, Chrebet, and other Jet lifers. Revis is an employee getting paid big bucks to perform...so just go out there and do it.

Haha I knew that merc would go the 'I'm coming home' route. Shut up Mevis. Home for you is the nearest bank.

That's not fair, Fitzpatrick is a solid NFL qb. Not spectacular but he miles ahead of Geno. Geno will never sniff a 63% completion percentage in the NFL Geno was 29th last year in total QB rating. Fitz was 18th, between Kaepernick and Dalton

He's much better than Geno, but so am I, so that isn't saying much lol. Fitz is not total garbage, but he's pretty average. I'm not complaining as a fan of a division rival.