2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Winston's had a billion things in college, from being cited for stealing crab legs to standing on top of a table and shouting something lewd/stupid to get himself suspended from being dumb enough to run out onto the field in uniform while suspended, and that's without even getting into the more serious accusations that the university and state have tried to sweep under the rug.

The other stuff you're talking about would not have got him suspended if not for the sexual assault allegations, which were lodged against Sanchez when he was at USC anddidn't really impact his NFL career one way or another.   It was really FSU trying to look like it was doing something, kind of like what A&M did with Manziel last season. 

It's ok to take the position that you don't care how good he might be since you could never root for someone with his character issues so you don't want him on the team.  However, if you're looking at it from purely a win/loss standpoint, he's the best QB available, and would be the best QB available in a lot of other drafts.   

• 2 weeks later...

Jets are going to get a lot of heat for not throwing this game (and they almost lost it anyway on a lateral play at the end, though one of the laterals looked forward) but I just don't see Rex as the type to throw games, and he sure as hell isn't accepting marching orders from the top to do so either, and neither Winston or Mariota are Luck level can't miss types (I remember Sam Bradford was a pretty close can't miss type too)

Still I would've wanted Mariota and that seems off the board barring a trade up. Geno has looked decent the past two games with the usual flashes of idiocy. He's not the future. And as of now I'm not sure what the future of this franchise is at QB.

After yesterday's game, I truly feel for Rex.  That's not to say he's been perfect as the Jets' HC, or blameless...on some occasions he's come off like a buffoonish cartoon character, and at other times he's come off like a defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach.  But I still think there's something there, and it looks like it's going to take another franchise (and a GM and owner who won't completely screw up his chances the way Idzik and Johnson did) for him to show that.

His record against the Pats is nothing spectacular on the surface:  4-9.  But I would say he outcoached the Genius in at least half of those games, and had significantly inferior personnel in many of them.  The job he and his team did in the playoffs up in NE was superb.  He had his team in just about every game against the Patriots in five out of the last six, and with some breaks, the Jets could've split those six games, instead of going 1-5.  Ryan's Jets did this despite having a Mark Sanchez at QB whose game was clearly unraveling in 2012, and having Geno Smith in 2013-14, who has often not even looked like an NFL-worthy player.  Last season, he somehow coached a squad that had no business winning more than 4 or 5 games to 8 wins. 

Really curious to see what he does for his next team. 

After yesterday's game, I truly feel for Rex.  That's not to say he's been perfect as the Jets' HC, or blameless...on some occasions he's come off like a buffoonish cartoon character, and at other times he's come off like a defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach.  But I still think there's something there, and it looks like it's going to take another franchise (and a GM and owner who won't completely screw up his chances the way Idzik and Johnson did) for him to show that.

His record against the Pats is nothing spectacular on the surface:  4-9.  But I would say he outcoached the Genius in at least half of those games, and had significantly inferior personnel in many of them.  The job he and his team did in the playoffs up in NE was superb.  He had his team in just about every game against the Patriots in five out of the last six, and with some breaks, the Jets could've split those six games, instead of going 1-5.  Ryan's Jets did this despite having a Mark Sanchez at QB whose game was clearly unraveling in 2012, and having Geno Smith in 2013-14, who has often not even looked like an NFL-worthy player.  Last season, he somehow coached a squad that had no business winning more than 4 or 5 games to 8 wins. 

Really curious to see what he does for his next team. 

I'm rooting for Ryan to get a job with a team that has a QB. He's a good coach, and he has toned down the nonsense, which shows some personal growth. Most of the players like him, and that's been a constant in his time with the Jets.

Maybe Mike Smith ends up here and Rex to Atlanta

as of now I'd actually prefer to keep Rex (especially after that great effort vs NE yesterday with a total crap roster) but I think his fate is sealed

If not Atlanta I can see him as the DC of the Bears

who are the jets going to land that's better than Rex? It's not going to be Cowher. It's not Gruden. Harbaugh will follow the millions to Michigan. Is Dan Quinn the answer?

Edited by '7'

Maybe Mike Smith ends up here and Rex to Atlanta

as of now I'd actually prefer to keep Rex (especially after that great effort vs NE yesterday with a total crap roster) but I think his fate is sealed

If not Atlanta I can see him as the DC of the Bears

who are the jets going to land that's better than Rex? It's not going to be Cowher. It's not Gruden. Harbaugh will follow the millions to Michigan. Is Dan Quinn the answer?

Rex's players play their asses off for him.  That's one of the things I find most impressive about him.  A lot of 3-11 teams would've laid down and barely even shown up for a game like yesterday's.  The Jets damned near won it, and NE had a hell of a lot to lose...the Pats are not going into Denver and winning a playoff game.   

Unfortunately, a real GM always wants to bring in his own guy, just because, even if the right guy is already there. 

Rex's players play their asses off for him.  That's one of the things I find most impressive about him.  A lot of 3-11 teams would've laid down and barely even shown up for a game like yesterday's.  The Jets damned near won it, and NE had a hell of a lot to lose...the Pats are not going into Denver and winning a playoff game.   

Unfortunately, a real GM always wants to bring in his own guy, just because, even if the right guy is already there. 

yes, an incoming GM will want to bring in his guy. And I hope we have a new one because the job Idzik did (Think about it, this draft was a gold mine of receivers and we got ZILCH) just player wise this draft we ended up with nothing. And last year with Geno is looking like a flop to. The Jets did a much better job scouting and finding talent in the draft and FA market with Tanny.

But if we get a real GM, I just hope he gives Rex an honest shake and doesn't boot him out the door. Interview other candidates but interview Rex for the job as well. You may end up liking Rex about as much as the guys you have pegged to replace him!

He was seriously hamstrung this year.

Is Mike Smith on the rocks? That would be definitely be a good situation for Rex.

Smith has been panned this year hard for bad clock management and a team laden with talent that has underachieved (in theory) for the second straight year.

While the GM deserves some blame, I think the owner is enamored with the GM and the coach has made egregious enough mistakes to take the fall here.  

Mike Smith is quite literally coaching for his job in the next two games (I don't think winning the division will save him, but win the first round playoff game and put up a fight against Seattle/Dallas/Green Bay/Detroit will save his ass).

I keep reading the players go all out for Rex yet I don't see it in the games or the record. I think his message falls short on the players and a change would be good for all concerned.

He's had the worst QB play in the NFL since he got here. And Idzik has done a terrible job with personnel. TERRIBLE

I wouldn't throw a fit if and when he's fired, but I don't see a significantly better replacement in then NFL landscape right now

He's had the worst QB play in the NFL since he got here. And Idzik has done a terrible job with personnel. TERRIBLE

My only consolidation that I take solace in, is that; the man responsible for all of this, will not only stand trial.. but be condemned beyond any measure of humiliation & indignity that can be assessed. He will be beheaded on the guillotine, for all to see, and when Rex finds success elsewhere (and he will) Johnny boy will have to deal with that shame aswell. John Idzik will never be a General Manager in the NFL ever again. Ever! And THAT.. you can take to the bank.

He can look in the mirror every morning and wonder "what could have been" for the remainder of his life. What could have been; had Vick started the season. What could have been; with more than just 2 players on the 53 man, off a draft of 12 selections. What could have been; with just a little more talent, and 1 or 2 legitimate cornerbacks. Instead, he thought it wise to sit on 22 million dollars worth of salary cap.. and then pathetically scramble for Percy Harvin in an attempt to exonerate himself on Week 11, when his team was already 1-9.

31-24 Packers

27-19 Bears

24-17 Lions

27-25 Patriots

16-13 Dolphins

30-24 Vikings

17-16 Patriots

7 games lost by 1 possession. Just two shy of the NFL record, the: 1998 Carolina Panthers.. who lost 9 games by 1 possession. Their GM was fired.. and 4 years later, they went to a Superbowl. I can only hope the same fate will be that of the Jets -- who do have talent on this team, despite what some fans may think.

..and for all the negligence and oversights of Idzik. For all his failures and nonfulfillment. All the appalling, pathetic, abominable, atrocious, deplorable, disappointment that he brought..... ultimately, it will be Rex Ryan (a good coach, and a good man) who will have to suffer for Idzik's transgressions.

Shame on you John Idzik. Shame on you.

Edited by Beezer34

Idzik seems pretty terrible, and one suspects that Fatcessa is right in that his specialty is getting group discounts at hotels.  I suppose the Percy Harvin deal was pretty good, but it kind of seems that the Jets are lost on the personnel end, and that they're going to be in for a rude, rude awakening when they don't have someone like Rex that can  get the most out of his players and run a very good defense.  Rex was really the only reason to fear the Jets from the opposing team's standpoint for the last two years. 

I think they'd do well by themselves to take a good look at Bill Lazor.  Beyond appearing to have a good football mind, he has a pretty intense but not too a$$holish demeanor rather than that Mr. Spock mentality like Mark Trestman, Zorn or Mangini.  What's also overlooked about him is how much he improved the Dolphins' running game with an O-line that played about half the year with worse right tackle than Jonathan Martin if that's even possible.

Whoever the Jets go after, it can't be a defensive minded head coach.  If that's the course they take, they might as well keep Rex.

fwiw the Jets are hiring Charley Casserly as a consultant (I presume to oversee the GM search) Casserly has been on record being very pro-Rex so perhaps there is a chance he can be saved

..you're not wrong. Twitter just exploded about an hour ago, that this all but confirms Rex will be returning next season. Personally.. I'll believe it when I see it.

http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2014/10/16/charley-casserly-not-enough-talent-for-jets-to-compete/

The Jets took two corners in the first round. One is hurt [Dee Milliner], and the other one [Kyle] Wilson hasn’t panned out. So how much of that is the coaching staff? How much of that was the scouting staff? Who made the final decision? Those are the things you’re going to have to figure out – and that’s the owner’s job to figure that out. This year, they did not take a corner in the first round.. despite the fact that they were in desperate need of a corner. Not addressing the cornerback position was huge, because of two things: One.. any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, ‘Give me corners. That’s what I need, is corners.’ When you watch their defense, they’ve never had a legitimate outside pass rusher you have to game-plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free. That’s an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs. From the outside-in, that’s the obvious one we look at there. It’s a legitimate question because clearly there’s not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.” --Charley Casserly, October 2014

..and now (according to WFAN) he also made a passing comment last month on CBS how: "Rex is an owners dream" I'm paraphrasing.. as I am still actively looking for the link to this quote.

We will see.. stay tuned.....

Edited by Beezer34

Unless Casserly himself is the GM I don't know how they can sell Rex getting a THIRD GM from an optics standpoint.  Not to mention you're not getting any GM worth his salt to take the job if Rex comes attached, we already tried that once with Idzik and it blew up. Maybe if it's a guy like Casserly that's already on record as being a Rex backer.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Unless Casserly himself is the GM I don't know how they can sell Rex getting a THIRD GM from an optics standpoint.  Not to mention you're not getting any GM worth his salt to take the job if Rex comes attached, we already tried that once with Idzik and it blew up. Maybe if it's a guy like Casserly that's already on record as being a Rex backer.

It's a reach but not impossible. I think Woody himself loves Rex and he is hiring someone (who is not without flaws but is a better football man than Idzik) who also supports Rex.

I don't know if Casserly wants this job at his age but if they get turned down by legit GM candidates once again it may fall to Casserly.

..you're not wrong. Twitter just exploded about an hour ago, that this all but confirms Rex will be returning next season. Personally.. I'll believe it when I see it.

http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2014/10/16/charley-casserly-not-enough-talent-for-jets-to-compete/

The Jets took two corners in the first round. One is hurt [Dee Milliner], and the other one [Kyle] Wilson hasn’t panned out. So how much of that is the coaching staff? How much of that was the scouting staff? Who made the final decision? Those are the things you’re going to have to figure out – and that’s the owner’s job to figure that out. This year, they did not take a corner in the first round.. despite the fact that they were in desperate need of a corner. Not addressing the cornerback position was huge, because of two things: One.. any time you talk to Rex Ryan, he says, ‘Give me corners. That’s what I need, is corners.’ When you watch their defense, they’ve never had a legitimate outside pass rusher you have to game-plan against. But by having good corners, Rex is as good as anybody in the league at designing blitzes to get people free. That’s an example of the front office not getting what the coach needs. From the outside-in, that’s the obvious one we look at there. It’s a legitimate question because clearly there’s not enough talent around that football team to compete. I thought Rex should have been the coach of the year at 8-8 last year.” --Charley Casserly, October 2014

..and now (according to WFAN) he also made a passing comment last month on CBS how: "Rex is an owners dream" I'm paraphrasing.. as I am still actively looking for the link to this quote.

We will see.. stay tuned.....

and he is an owners dream. How he's made it this far without chirping about payroll or personnel is incredible. The guy doesn't make excuses, he doesn't snipe at others in his organization. Rex has his flaws but he doesn't throw people under the bus.

I would agree the talent pool is barren since the Thomas Jones days, but not pushing for that offensive talent and this includes bolstering a very overrated OL is still on Rex. I think Rex has been tuned out by the players and I think his record the past few season is on him for doing such a sh!tty job. They never seem prepared and always find a way to lose which is an attitude issue

Apparently the Jets are also adding Ron Wolf (who was here before) as a consultant as well as Casserly.

Good, another sound football mind with a good track record. He played a key role in building those legendary Oakland teams as well as the Packers of the 90's

Well at least Pete beat Rex to the unemployment line by like three days lol

Rex is cleaning out his desk today so he knows it's over and he's gone. He's probably known since mid season really. But I really thought that Deboer was going to ride out the season. Never thought it would be DeBoer first, Rex second...and when the Mets stumble this year...Collins 3rd.

I just hope the Devils didn't give Woody any ideas lol, I'm shocked the Jets didn't do the whole 'co-coaching' thing first with Rex doing the D and someone else on the offense.  It'd be even more justified with the Jets since Rex doesn't WANT to have anything to do with the offense :lol:

heh, well ultimately that's part of Rex's undoing. His total neglect of the offense. It's amazing we haven't had anything resembling a pro NFL offense in 3 full years already. Rex takes a lot of blame for that

I'm just glad we have a real football guy like Casserly making the decisions now, he seems to be the acting GM though still under the "consultant" title