2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

and fwiw Eric Decker is trying to recruit Demaryius Thomas. Tough to see him leaving If Peyton sticks around and no QB here...but Peyton will only be around for 2015 if that and Thomas is looking for a long term deal. Jets certainly have the $.

I've never heard of this Nick Barlotta...would it completely shock me, no especially considering Rice has local ties through college but I don't even think this is a good football move leaving all the other nonsense aside.  Rice was more done two years ago than Chris Johnson was, and Johnson stunk for the most part this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

..sigh. He's just going to have to paint it green again, when he returns to the Jets in 2017 as our Defensive Coordinator. :thumbsup:

Edited by Beezer34

heh, you know what though, there is a morsel of truth to what you say. If this Bowles thing doesn't work out, and if Rex doesn't find success in Buffalo...there will be talk about a Rex/Jets reunion if we and the Bills end up with vacancies at the same time

Something tells me Rex's final chapter with the Jets has yet to be written. Just have a feeling

heh, you know what though, there is a morsel of truth to what you say. If this Bowles thing doesn't work out, and if Rex doesn't find success in Buffalo...there will be talk about a Rex/Jets reunion if we and the Bills end up with vacancies at the same time

Something tells me Rex's final chapter with the Jets has yet to be written. Just have a feeling

KC Joyner was adamant about why Rex chose Buffalo over Atlanta the second it happened. He said the whole reason surrounded around the wife. Rex's wife didn't want to leave the NY area, because evidently her entire family lives in Lansing.. which is smack-dad in the middle of New York, and practically the same distance from Northern New Jersey as it is to Buffalo. Couple that with the Woody Johnson relationship, (and how much the Jet fans love Rex) I absolutely believe Rex will find his way back to Gang Green in some capacity down the road. He himself said @ the Bills press conference: "if it doesn't work out in Buffalo, then it just doesn't work for me as a Head Coach. This is my last chance." --and I don't ever see Rex as a TV guy. He simply loves being around the game\players too much. I genuinely feel if he strikes out as a Head Coach with the Jills.. then we're looking at the next Defensive Coordinator of the Jets in 2017-18

Edited by Beezer34

I think Ray lost two steps post Superbowl.  Not sure he is the threat he once was.

Why would the Jets invite this PR nightmare?

Edited by MantaRay

I think Ray lost two steps post Superbowl.  Not sure he is the threat he once was.

Why would the Jets invite this PR nightmare?

My mistake for thinking a "moms basement" Twitter guy was legit. Prob wont happen. Not ruling it out with Woody running the show but not likely.

• 3 weeks later...

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/woody-johnson-looking-to-make-push-for-darrelle-revis/

Jets are discussing bringing back Revis

all well and good...discuss it. But Revis isn't the "final piece" to anything here. Plus he would command an immense salary. We could get like 3 other decent players to fill holes in other places. Or have one 30 year old Revis. Not that he wouldn't help but, this team needs some depth

Edited by '7'

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/woody-johnson-looking-to-make-push-for-darrelle-revis/

Jets are discussing bringing back Revis

all well and good...discuss it. But Revis isn't the "final piece" to anything here. Plus he would command an immense salary. We could get like 3 other decent players to fill holes in other places. Or have one 30 year old Revis. Not that he wouldn't help but, this team needs some depth

I think Revis is going to be a Jet, and everything I'm about to post is based on that assumption.  I think Woody is going to do a lot of ass-kissing and overpaying to bring him back, and I believe that Revis gets off on that to an extent...he likes feeling needed and important, and even though his contract disputes grew tiresome when he was a Jet, all of that will be forgiven by Jet fans if he leaves NE for NY.  I think most Jet fans will even look past the fact that he won a ring with the Evil Empire, especially if the Jets ascend quickly with Revis' help (which seems iffy...more on that later). 

Some jilted Patriot fans and media will wonder aloud "What the hell is wrong with him?  Doesn't he want to play for a 'guaranteed' winner?"  I won't.  What motivates players aren't necessarily the same things that motivate fans who think they know what should motivate players.  For one, there really is no such thing as a 'guarantee' in most sports anymore...winning championships is really damned hard, and repeating even harder.  Even though the 2014-15 Pats were a very good team by today's NFL standards, they needed their share of breaks just like most championship teams do to win it all.  Maybe next year a guy in Flacco's position doesn't try to hit a home run when all he needs are singles.  Maybe next season an opposing coach doesn't kill his team with an indefensible play call.  Maybe the Pats suffer a slew of injuries to key players.  Sure, the Pats could get right back to the Super Bowl, they could win, but recent history shows how hard it is to do that, no matter how good your team is.     

And trying to figure what drives players is damned near impossible.  Maybe Revis' heart never left NY or maybe he feels like there's unfinished business there.  Maybe he feels like he has nothing left to prove in NE and needs a new challenge.  Maybe money is the most important thing to him (and that doesn't make him selfish or greedy by default...easy to forget that these players have families and that the money isn't all going to one person, and that players do want to see their families provided for), and if the Jets can offer more of it than anyone else, that's where he's going, end of story.  But none of those reasons are wrong, though you can bet some people will try to make it sound like Revis is indeed wrong.  That's all bullsh!t.  If the reasons are right to Revis, then they're right, period.  He has the right to go sign with another team if he's not under contract to anyone, and he doesn't have to justify his reasons to anyone, and I don't care if one reason somehow seems "nobler" than another. 

I see all of this happening because I think that if Revis was going to be a Patriot for sure, it would've happened by now.  He already knows what he's getting in NE...what exactly do the Pats need to sell him on?  Seeing how BB does business, I'm guessing he has a reasonable value for Revis in mind, and if Revis thinks it's too low and the Jets are offering that much more, it's soyonara Darrelle.

As for his impact on the Jets...this feels a bit like when the Mets signed Tom Glavine.  Are the Jets signing Revis because they really think he can help them get that much better, or are they trying to stick it to NE?  If it's the latter, that's dangerous thinking.  Like you allude to '7', I think signing Revis to big dollars should be more of a "This move will put us over the top" kind of move than a "We've got our ourselves a nice building block and screwed the Pats" moral victory move.  Revis will be 30 years old when the 2015-16 season gets underway.  That means the Jets will really have to fast-track their way towards winning, as Revis in football years is well into middle-age.  I completely get that bringing back Revis will make for good backpage fodder and a lot of excitement, and yes, a moral victory.  But if the Jets go 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs, and the Pats win yet another division title, was it really worth it?  What are the Jets worried about...trying to get to the Super Bowl themselves, or trying to make sure NE doesn't? 

Revis really doesn't make sense for the Jets...he makes sense for the Pats and bunch of other teams that really need that one last piece, that are firmly in "Win RIGHT NOW mode".  Those are the teams that should really be in on an effective but getting-up-there-in-years vet like Revis.  If Revis was a few years younger, I'd say the Jets should probably go all in on him, but he's not, and though the Jets were better than their 4-12 record showed, I don't see how they can possibly become so good so quickly that signing Revis can be seen as anything more than trying to make up for a past mistake, and trying to stick it to the Patriots. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

rumor is gonna be that if Mariota falls to #6, the Eagles will give the Jets 2 firsts, a second, and Foles.  you gotta take the deal if you're the jets.

but yea, i wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of one of their expensive WRs