2014-2015 Lineup Thread

devilsrule33

I am the only one that wants to see what Josefson can do with more minutes and on the 1st or 2nd line?  I mean, the guy has been a work in progress for like 5 years now, and he's really only one of the young prospects we have left that has actually had some significant NHL time, just not enough to really gauge his ability and potential if he were surrounded by better linemates.

I think it's great to see Zubrus on the 4th line finally, his play doesn't warrant anything other than that.  Is it confirmed Ryder is back in the lineup and on the 4th as well?  Also, what is Havlat scratched?

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/looks-like-gelinas-ryder-back-in-devils-lineup-tonight-in-chicago-1.1271300

No confirmation on anything really but it "looks like" that's the 4th line and Gelinas is in. No reason given on why Havlats out yet.

Well, Fraser and Havlat look to be out, which are good choices to scratch, and Zubrus looks to be on the 4th line.  NJ has remarkably created 4 3rd lines which I imagine is difficult to do.

Seriously. Elias/Zajac/Tootoo....

Ryder is in for Havlat, and instead of putting him in that spot, they have Tootoo there, and Ryder playing in an absolutely useless role on the 4th line. There is no value added by playing him there.

Seriously. Elias/Zajac/Tootoo....

Ryder is in for Havlat, and instead of putting him in that spot, they have Tootoo there, and Ryder playing in an absolutely useless role on the 4th line. There is no value added by playing him there.

But he's playing with two guys who aren't idiots with the puck.  Zubrus and Josefson aren't your standard 4th liners.  I actually don't mind this - I think Elias-Zajac-Ryder is too slow and would go nowhere anyway.  Problem is that Tootoo is one of their fastest forwards.

If they're not tanking then where the hell is the accountability for just flat-out taking nights off?  Lou can be the cheerful granddad behind the bench if he wants but when the team's getting outshot 21-3 in a period that's the time to put your shoe up someone's butt.  You'd figure between Lou and Stevens ONE of them would at least blow a gasket but that hasn't happened any of the other times they've no-showed games.

If they're not tanking then where the hell is the accountability for just flat-out taking nights off?  Lou can be the cheerful granddad behind the bench if he wants but when the team's getting outshot 21-3 in a period that's the time to put your shoe up someone's butt.  You'd figure between Lou and Stevens ONE of them would at least blow a gasket but that hasn't happened any of the other times they've no-showed games.

It's a really bad team Has. That's all. Just a garbage team. It's not about accountability, but a few players might have checked out, and that's fine. The season is over, and a bunch of guys know they will be shipped out soon. What do they care?

If they're not tanking then where the hell is the accountability for just flat-out taking nights off? Lou can be the cheerful granddad behind the bench if he wants but when the team's getting outshot 21-3 in a period that's the time to put your shoe up someone's butt. You'd figure between Lou and Stevens ONE of them would at least blow a gasket but that hasn't happened any of the other times they've no-showed games.

Thing is, Lou has always been known as a player's coach, and more of a hard ass in the GM role. But as DR33 said, I think he realizes what the team is, so there's nothing to be gained with a tantrum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like some of you will get your wish and Rutuu will get a chance to play with some talent...

Here is the breakdown of the players practicing today:

Forwards: Tuomo Ruutu-Scott Gomez-Jaromir Jagr; Patrik Elias-Adam Henrique-Steve Bernier/Michael Ryder; Mike Cammalleri-Travis Zajac-Jordin Tootoo;  Dainius Zubrus-Jacob Josefson/Stephen Gionta-Martin Havlat.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/cammalleri-back-at-left-wing-elias-at-center-as-devils-shuffle-line-combinations-again-1.1272418

Looks like some of you will get your wish and Rutuu will get a chance to play with some talent...

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/cammalleri-back-at-left-wing-elias-at-center-as-devils-shuffle-line-combinations-again-1.1272418

I'm really not a fan of Henrique at center. I'd much rather put Elias back at center than force Henrique to play a position he clearly isn't capable of, especially knowing that line is going to get tough assignments.

And once again, we're leaving two quality players stuck with Tootoo as their RW. I'd much rather see either Ryder as the RW there and give them soft matchups or put Josefson at LW there and switch Cammalleri to the right side. Of course Oates has some serious fixation on handedness that borders on compulsion.

I'd like to see something like this tried out for the forward lines:

Cammalleri-Gomez-Jagr

Elias-Zajac-Bernier

Henrique-Josefson-Ryder/Havlat

Ruutu-Zubrus-Tootoo

Edited by ATLL765

Yeah, so it's not our biggest problem but Cammalleri taking faceoffs is just not going to work. Gomez is already bad enough. Heh, I guess as long as it's not Elias; if it wasn't for Gionta, he'd be the most dreadful of all.

Yeah, so it's not our biggest problem but Cammalleri taking faceoffs is just not going to work. Gomez is already bad enough. Heh, I guess as long as it's not Elias; if it wasn't for Gionta, he'd be the most dreadful of all.

Elias, Cammalleri are not centers but forced to play that position because Lou can't do his job. Gomez has been good for this team overall. Gionta doesn't belong in the NHL, heis on this team because Lou can't do the GM job anymore.

Edited by BostonNala370

Elias, Cammalleri are not centers but forced to play that position because Lou can't do his job. Gomez has been good for this team overall. Gionta doesn't belong in the NHL, heis on this team because Lou can't do the GM job anymore.

You're right that neither of them are. Personally, I feel like it's a complete waste of Cammalleri's talent to play him at center. With him at LW, at least then we can occasionally be excited to see Cammaleri utilize his great shot.

I really like the idea of having Cammalleri-Gomez-Jagr as a line. Gomez is a pass first guy, but Cammalleri and Jagr are more shoot first types, so I wonder what kind of chemistry they could build together. Might see some pretty slick passing plays between those three.

Then having Elias/Henrique-Zajac-Bernier as a 2nd line isn't bad either. You have Zjac and Bernier who are both great down low with the cycle, then I think Henrique might even be better than Elias here as he could kinda float around, trying to get open for a shot since he's not the best along the boards.

A 3rd line of Elias-Josefson-Ryder/Havlat/Ruutu could be a solid line as well.

And then you have Tootoo-Zubrus-Ruutu/Gionta to make up a competent 4th line.

I think this best consolidates our offensive talents while still giving us 2 good scoring lines, one that might manage to chip in as a 3rd line and you have Tootoo and Zubrus where they belong, on the 4th line.

I'm really not a fan of Henrique at center. I'd much rather put Elias back at center than force Henrique to play a position he clearly isn't capable of, especially knowing that line is going to get tough assignments.

Elias can't win offensive zone faceoffs (or faceoffs in general) and that's a problem. Henrique can.

Why are we combing this over?  The Devils shouldn't ice an optimal lineup.  Not because they're trying to lose, but because they need to see what they have for next year.  Playing Henrique at center is totally fine.  They'll see that he's not a center and perhaps can address it in the coming months/years.  

Why are we combing this over?  The Devils shouldn't ice an optimal lineup.  Not because they're trying to lose, but because they need to see what they have for next year.  Playing Henrique at center is totally fine.  They'll see that he's not a center and perhaps can address it in the coming months/years.  

This is a good point. But more than anything, the Devils shouldn't ice an optimal lineup because that is what they have been trying to do, and they have lost 4 straight anyway.

If they haven't figured out that Henrique isn't a center (which I suppose they have not already), I don't know what to say (their just not able to see what's right in front of them, and it's been a serious problem over the last few years).

He can't carry a line.  I do think it's possible that if NJ had a shot generator/puck carrier on his line that he could play a decent 3rd line role, maybe. Like if they got Tyler Kennedy.  Cammalleri's definitely not a center, though.

Edited by Triumph