Reality Check

William D'Aquila

Seriously.  When you watch this team as often as we all do, it's hard to believe there's a worse group of players out there.  But seriously, we have 8 freakin' points on the Oilers, with equal games played.  HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I don't think it's possible for this team to even have a chance at one of the top-2 picks, unless they win the lottery.  Truly unbelievable.

I need to start watching some Oilers games so I can comprehend the suckage.  

I mean the Oilers were one of the teams we were able to beat this year, so it is comprehensible.

That is a perfect example of a team that has been stuck in the black hole of rebuilding for years and the dangers that can come with a full rebuild.

The point is that people need to alter their expectations. Our version of the core 4 is gone now, I guess you can consider Elias, but he wasn't around for the first cup.

Losing is going to be commonplace for this season, and instead of hoping for quick fixes such as our firing GM, firing our coach (who the Leafs tried to poach, or making a deal that does not involve a game breaker such as Phil Kessel everyone needs to show patience. 

The point is that people need to alter their expectations. Our version of the core 4 is gone now, I guess you can consider Elias, but he wasn't around for the first cup.

Losing is going to be commonplace for this season, and instead of hoping for quick fixes such as our firing GM, firing our coach (who the Leafs tried to poach, or making a deal that does not involve a game breaker such as Phil Kessel everyone needs to show patience. 

How many years you think Lou as left? How much drive do you think a guy like that has to really start an official rebuilt knowing he's gonna have to look at a terrible team until he retires, he won't see the results in his tenure. That also explains the constant patching work trying to win now.

as a business point of view... we obviously need a rebuilt. Why not give it to another GM who will be able to carry his vision through? Whats the point of dragging Lou and Conte in there they'll likely not be able to finish the job. It's time for new blood.

How many years you think Lou as left? How much drive do you think a guy like that has to really start an official rebuilt knowing he's gonna have to look at a terrible team until he retires, he won't see the results in his tenure. That also explains the constant patching work trying to win now.

as a business point of view... we obviously need a rebuilt. Why not give it to another GM who will be able to carry his vision through? Whats the point of dragging Lou and Conte in there they'll likely not be able to finish the job. It's time for new blood.

No one knows how many years Lou has left, but given his pedigree I think his time horizon is easily another decade. Obviously a lot depends on his own personal health which we aren't privy to, but I see no reason he cannot work into his early 80's. Look at Warren Buffett, Henry Kissinger, Art Cashin, and Joan Rivers. All of these people had a real passion for their craft and 3/4 are still thriving today.

No one knows how many years Lou has left, but given his pedigree I think his time horizon is easily another decade. Obviously a lot depends on his own personal health which we aren't privy to, but I see no reason he cannot work into his early 80's. Look at Warren Buffett, Henry Kissinger, Art Cashin, and Joan Rivers. All of these people had a real passion for their craft and 3/4 are still thriving today.

There's many reasons why i want new scouts and GM. One thing is that there's no accountability for them. Lou runs everything. You don't deal with things the same way knowing you'll get away with anything that happens. 

There's many reasons why i want new scouts and GM. One thing is that there's no accountability for them. Lou runs everything. You don't deal with things the same way knowing you'll get away with anything that happens. 

I would think the new owners don't have the loyalty or nostalgia that JVB or McMullen had, so their leash would be a lot tighter than past owners.  I wouldn't be surprised if after this season or next if they continue to miss the playoffs Lou will "retire."

I would think the new owners don't have the loyalty or nostalgia that JVB or McMullen had, so their leash would be a lot tighter than past owners.  I wouldn't be surprised if after this season or next if they continue to miss the playoffs Lou will "retire."

Yup. They never came into Jersey wanting a tank. They gave Lou the freedom to continue doing whatever he wanted, but they seem like the kind of owners that won't be afraid to hold him accountable within the next year if this keeps up.

So when agism is no longer a pertinent riposte, the scouting argument comes to play. Look at where the Devils drafted for the majority of the past 2 decades. Once you do that, tell me how many of the players are playing in a teams top 6 today.

Scouting has not been as big of an issue as many people think. 

So when agism is no longer a pertinent riposte, the scouting argument comes to play. Look at where the Devils drafted for the majority of the past 2 decades. Once you do that, tell me how many of the players are playing in a teams top 6 today.

Scouting has not been as big of an issue as many people think. 

Tell me Mr. D'Aquila, where exactly have the Detroit Red Wings been drafting for the majority of the past 2 decades? Good enough isn't good enough when better is expected ~ Lou Lamoriello. Don't set that kind of standard and be surprised when the fanbase tries to hold the team to it.

Seriously.  When you watch this team as often as we all do, it's hard to believe there's a worse group of players out there.  But seriously, we have 8 freakin' points on the Oilers, with equal games played.  HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I don't think it's possible for this team to even have a chance at one of the top-2 picks, unless they win the lottery.  Truly unbelievable.

I need to start watching some Oilers games so I can comprehend the suckage.  

If you have ask this question, then you really don't have a sense of reality.  Too many people here are staying solely in the Devils vacuum and not looking at the rest of the league.

*Puts on tinfoil cap*

Been developing a theory. Defensemen dry up in Devils system, they start to heavily draft+develop them. Lou brings young defensemen into NHL as soon as possible, but not immediately, because of veteran situation last few years. He signs as many older forwards as possible to teach these kids (in practice) how to play in an older offensive/defensive system. Knowing the league is changing and that he won't be a part of it soon, Lou tries to inject a young crop of D-men and goaltenders with as much of the work ethic of these older forwards, while essentially writing off the season in a good draft year. Lou retires after the end of next year or so when guys like Larsson, Severson, Merrill, Gelinas are bona-fide NHL top-6.

All that's really missing is attention to the future of the forward situation in general. Our youth is just not focused in our forward group outside of Zajac and Henrique, and the constant plugging of holes with veteran guys has clearly failed. Just not sure what the plan is there...

i dont like to post those articles but this guy explains it pretty damn well

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=64806&blogger_id=191

I'm not convinced. You could easily write the same article about this year's New Jersey Devils. We may have more AHL-level players than they do on their roster.

COMPARE:

Hall RNH Pitlick

Yak Draisaitl Eberle

Perron Baron Purcell

Baron Hendricks Baron

Klefbom Schultz

Ference Petry

Baron Baron 

Scrivens

TO

Travis Zajac - Scott Gomez - Jaromir Jagr

Martin Havlat - Adam Henrique - Michael Ryder

Tuomo Ruutu - Jacob Josefson - Mike Sislo

Jordin Tootoo - Stephen Gionta - Steve Bernier

Andy Greene - Damon Severson

Jon Merrill - Marek Zidlicky

Eric Gelinas - Pete Harrold

Kinkaid

Edited by DJ Eco

I'm not convinced. You could easily write the same article about this year's New Jersey Devils. We may have more AHL-level players than they do on their roster.

COMPARE:

Hall RNH Pitlick

Yak Draisaitl Eberle

Perron Baron Purcell

Baron Hendricks Baron

Klefbom Schultz

Ference Petry

Baron Baron 

Scrivens

TO

Kinkaid

Yeah but they have true talent too, we dont

COMPARE:

Hall RNH Pitlick

Yak Draisaitl Eberle

Perron Baron Purcell

Baron Hendricks Baron

Klefbom Schultz

Ference Petry

Baron Baron

Scrivens

TO

Kinkaid

I think we should sign that dude Baron!!

He is a one man team!!!! Playing 5 positions on 3 lines!!! Nearly as many as Kovy when he was here.