New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Dodgers lose 8-0. Mets still very much in the hunt for home field.

Hope Colon has one of his 7+ IP, 2 ER or less starts...Mets could sure use one.

Gotta wonder how much of Clip's problems are back or arm-related (Terry says it's not his back).  A bit troublesome that he's giving up so many hits lately. He's always been such a good hit suppressor (he's allowed just 380 hits over 558 major-league innings).  His numbers as of late:  8.2 IP, 12 H, 9 ER, 4 HR. 

Cespedes didn't bother to run out a wild-pitch strike three and heard it from the crowd. Honeymoon is starting to end for him here...of course, if he has a big game tonight, the lovefest will continue, but it's always amazing what a difference a week can make. We get Cespedes both blowing off the press and getting booed by his home fans.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I mean seriously, this is just desperate flailing. The Phillies are near Marlins level of irrelevancy now.

And fwiw I don't recall any Dodger documentaries on SNY, nor did the Wilpons try to buy the Dodgers when they were for sale...so what you're yammering about I don't know. The Dodgers left during the 50's and nobody remembers or cares anymore. But...keep watching the Mets network to fuel your obsession if you feel any better. Hope you get to go to a game at Citi Field South next week when the Mets show up in Philly

The Phillies mean nothing to Philadelphia. The Eagles and Flyers do

So much of coffee's last post was so misguided and inaccurate that I can't take him seriously at all anymore.

The Phillies do mean a lot to that city...their fans do show up in big numbers when the team is winning. But that's all I'm going to say about the Phillies (until the Mets play them one last time)...they don't matter in 2015, and not too many fans outside of the Philly area give a flying fvck about them.

I mean seriously, this is just desperate flailing. The Phillies are near Marlins level of irrelevancy now.

And fwiw I don't recall any Dodger documentaries on SNY, nor did the Wilpons try to buy the Dodgers when they were for sale...so what you're yammering about I don't know. The Dodgers left during the 50's and nobody remembers or cares anymore. But...keep watching the Mets network to fuel your obsession if you feel any better. Hope you get to go to a game at Citi Field South next week when the Mets show up in Philly

The Phillies mean nothing to Philadelphia. The Eagles and Flyers do

Hold on a second. Rockies is arguing that the mediocrity of the Mets fan base stems from, among other things, the fact that Citi Field is Brooklyn Dodgers and Ebetts Field themed, and what you're now telling me is that the Dodgers have absolutely nothing to do with the Mets and that no one remembers or cares about them anymore. I haven't watched a whole lot of SNY in probably 5 years, maybe you're a new fan. But in the earlier days of the network, every commercial break included an advertisement for that Dodgers documentary Dem Bums or something. There were constantly documentaries about Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider and whoever else. People who do marketing for a living know who their audience is. The Mets were created to fill a nostalgic hole. They wear blue and orange and use the New York Giants logo. Come on now.

So much of coffee's last post was so misguided and inaccurate that I can't take him seriously at all anymore.

The Phillies do mean a lot to that city...their fans do show up in big numbers when the team is winning. But that's all I'm going to say about the Phillies (until the Mets play them one last time)...they don't matter in 2015, and not too many fans outside of the Philly area give a flying fvck about them.

This is the only point I am trying to make. The Phillies do mean a lot to this city. And I am not the one who started this argument.

Philadelphians just live and die with their teams more than New Yorkers do. It's the nature of the two cities. New Yorkers can't be bothered to suffer with their teams through mediocrity. Again, there are a lot of great die hards, but in general, the Mets mean a fraction to the city of New York than the Phillies do here. And I don't think any of you have spent the length of time in both markets that I have, so I really just don't think you guys understand the differences.

"I'm a Phillies fan but have no agenda" lol, good one

There's no point in even responding anymore, especially when coffee chooses to ignore ironclad FACTS...such as:

When the Phillies were last "mediocre", their attendance ranked at or near the bottom of the league.  In a seven-year period, from 1997 to 2003, the Phillies ranked 14th out of 14 (68-94 record), 14th out of 16 (75-87), 12th out of 16 (65-97), 14th out of 16 (86-76...a winning team that the massive diehard Phillie fans apparently couldn't be bothered to come out and see), 14th out of 16 (80-81), and 10th out of 16 (another 86-76 team that apparently couldn't be bothered with).

As I pointed out, when that team started to really succeed (with sales buoyed by a new ballpark), the Phillie fans showed up in earnest (as one would expect).  Now that the team is in a downturn, attendance has fallen by over 500,000 in each of the past three seasons.  They DON'T live and die with their Phillies, they see losses piling up and they head for the hills and quickly...and the Phils are about to see their attendance possibly drop below the two million mark.  What diehards!   

I don't know who coffee is trying to convince of the alleged massive existence of Philly die-hards and the Phillies' importance to Philadelphia, us or himself.  Like I said, I think the Phillies obviously have importance there, but the portrayal of Phillie fans being this "We support the team no matter what" entity is utter nonsense and an agenda-driven fallacy.  That's it.

At least he lived a good long and seemingly life.  When you make it to 90, you're playing with house money.  Never ever hear a bad word about him. 

There's no point in even responding anymore, especially when coffee chooses to ignore ironclad FACTS...such as:

When the Phillies were last "mediocre", their attendance ranked at or near the bottom of the league.  In a seven-year period, from 1997 to 2003, the Phillies ranked 14th out of 14 (68-94 record), 14th out of 16 (75-87), 12th out of 16 (65-97), 14th out of 16 (86-76...a winning team that the massive diehard Phillie fans apparently couldn't be bothered to come out and see), 14th out of 16 (80-81), and 10th out of 16 (another 86-76 team that apparently couldn't be bothered with).

As I pointed out, when that team started to really succeed (with sales buoyed by a new ballpark), the Phillie fans showed up in earnest (as one would expect).  Now that the team is in a downturn, attendance has fallen by over 500,000 in each of the past three seasons.  They DON'T live and die with their Phillies, they see losses piling up and they head for the hills and quickly...and the Phils are about to see their attendance possibly drop below the two million mark.  What diehards!   

I don't know who coffee is trying to convince of the alleged massive existence of Philly die-hards and the Phillies' importance to Philadelphia, us or himself.  Like I said, I think the Phillies obviously have importance there, but the portrayal of Phillie fans being this "We support the team no matter what" entity is utter nonsense and an agenda-driven fallacy.  That's it.

I never said Phillies fans show up no matter what. Let me try to explain it this way. In New York, no one gives a sh!t when the Mets are bad. Not that no one gives a sh!t about the Mets, but the city doesn't feel a sense of melancholy when their teams are bad. When the Mets are bad, New York moves on. In Philadelphia, you can complain about the Phillies with anyone on the street. A last place Phils team is on in every single bar in the city. It's not the same kind of atmosphere in New York. In Philadelphia, EVERYONE owns a Phillies hat and a Phillies tshirt or jersey or something, whether they're diehards or don't even know the rules of baseball.

New York is a trendy town and a trendy sports market. Everyone's a Mets fan now, and all those New Yorkers who rushed the merchandise stand the second the Mets became the it team will disappear as quick as they showed up when the Mets are a distant second place team next year and the Yanks are in the playoffs. I know tons and tons of Mets fans, real ones, because I know there are plenty, and they hate this too. I've heard it out of their mouths.

Have any of you spent any time in Philly? Or are you just going to ride that broken record of "attendance wasn't good when the Phils were bad". Yea, and the Mets can't draw out of the middle of the pack with a first place team playing in the biggest city in the country. It seems I have spent more time around both groups of fans than anyone here has, and spent more time in each market than any of you guys. The simple fact is that the Phillies are woven into the civic fabric of the city of Philadelphia, and the Mets just don't fit that role in New York. That's the argument I'm making.

The initial comment was that the Phillies are irrelevant in this way, and that just isn't the case. And coming from a Mets fan, you're either jumping on that trend like everyone else, or you're just as agenda-driven as everyone else is claiming I am. Because the Mets will never play the role in New York that the Phillies play here. And maybe it's because there's a second and largely successful team in the same city. Maybe it's because of the sheer number of total professional sports teams in the New York market. Fans maybe can't be bothered to suffer with their teams when there's what, 7 or 8 other big league acts in town they can put their energy into?

Bartolo...wow.  Guy actually has a reasonable chance at a CG if Robo-Terry doesn't automatically go into "Reed must pitch the 7th, Clippard must pitch the 8th, and Familia must pitch the 9th" mode (though as long as Colon gets out of the 6th, I'm guessing he might get the 7th).  But as we've sometimes seen, Colon can start getting hit very suddenly in some of his games. 

1st and 3rd with one out...hope Bartolo doesn't give up a blast here...

...and he gets out of it.  What's kind of funny about his strong pitching as of late is that he's not striking out anyone.  Including tonight, he's only K'd 7 in his last four starts.

Right call here for Terry in going to Reed (this was one of those "We've figured out Colon" games...pitch count sometimes means nothing with Colon)...TC sometimes sticks with guys too long and with disastrous results.  Even if Reed gives up a granny here, no criticism of the move.

Oh well...one of those nights where the right move blows up.  Reed's been plenty terrific since coming here.  It'd be nice if the bats came back to life. 

Damage could've been a lot worse. 

Oh boy...Captain Unclutch at the plate. 

And he actually comes through.  About time. 

By all means Terry, go to Clippard for a third straight day.  But in his defense who should TC go with in his stead?  I don't have an obvious answer. 

Oh well...sorry, very disappointing.  Hope the Orioles can hang on against the Nats.  Just no nice way to put it...the Mets played pretty crappy during this homestand...they need to wake the fvck up on the road. 

Thanks for the DP there Wilmer. 

Pathetic...I haven't gotten on this team too much lately, but this was a joke tonight. 

9th started ok for Familia, then a groundout that Wright and Duda bungle put Maybin at 1st. Then Familiainexplicably walks Bourn on 4 pitches and then Freeman does what he usually does against the Mets. Terry then for some reason leaves Familia in to finish the inning in a 6-3 game, throwing useless, wasted pitches...wasting bullets.

Not as mad at Familia as I am at this impotent offense

Not seething yet though, Orioles must hang on here

Wright and Duda bungling something in a big spot...there's a surprise. 

Thank you O's.  2015 Nats just proving what we knew about them all along...that there's no miracle in them waiting to shock the baseball world. 

Magic number down to five. 

Orioles doing us a solid, beat Washington again to get the magic number down to 5

Mets are pretty lucky Washington wasn't able to put a bigger dent in their lead during this 3-6 trip

This thing was done when the lead was 9.5 games.  The Nats were toast...they were really toast after the Mets swept them for the second time, but when they lost two to the Marlins, that was just added butter.  But the 2015 Nats are what they are...a little bit better than a .500 team and never able to take it up a notch when they absolutely have to. 

The sad/comical part is the Mets ARE playing like a team destined to choke (even TC's been calling them out for being too tight the last few nights) but like CR's said for a while the Nats have such a glass jaw it doesn't matter.  This recent stretch and our pitching in general doesn't engender much confidence in me going through the playoffs, but who knows...the 2000 Yankees and 2006 Cardinals also looked like teams waiting to lose going into the postseason.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Mets offense is looking like it has evened out to what it is. There a much deeper team than they were before the deadline. They are good enough to make it interesting if they pitch like we thought they could if they made it this far. It's time to see that pitching. It's going to be tough against the Dodgers.

Was at the O's-Nats game tonight. Nats are done. Machado takes Scherzer deep for difference and Papplebon starts a beanball war plunking Machado. Typical Nats-bitch mode. Mets maybe slumping but the gutless Nats ain't catching them.

Nats had every last opportunity to make some noise...their schedule was as favorable as it could get.  I've pointed it out before:  from 8/21 to 9/28, the Nats would get 27 out of 36 games at home, against a boatload of chum, and even after that stretch ended, their final two road series would be against the Braves (another crap opponent) and the Mets, so all they had to do was pull even or be a game up on the Mets as they met them in the last series of the year, and they'd have a solid chance of making the playoffs.  The Nats had some work to do, no question, but the Mets were only four games up on 8/20 (hardly insurmountable), and the Nats would also host a 3-game series against the Mets, where a sweep could do wonders for them.

There's still five games left in this stretch, and if they win all five, they'll actually finish it with a 23-13 record...which will look a lot better than it really is.  The Nats simply didn't rise to the challenge here, at all...they needed to win at least two games against the Mets, and they fell short against other opponents too.  They faced the Marlins 10 times and only went 6-4.  They got swept by the team they couldn't lose ground to.  There were too many "They won the series, but didn't sweep."  Too much pretty good when they needed great.  They needed to be outrageous (think somewhere between 27-9 and 29-7), not just pretty good.  And in typical 2015 Nats fashion, just when it looked like they might be getting something going within this stretch, when they had a 7-1 burst to give them a record of 18-11 with 7 games left, they lose two and fail to make up any ground.  There was just never any reason to fear the Nats after the Mets beat them down in that last series. 

Unfortunately, in the real race, home field against the Dodgers is going to be tough to wrest away unless the Mets pull it together immediately...I'm thinking it's going to take at least a 7-3 record over the final ten games for the Mets to have a legit shot...with the Dodgers having lost four straight before last night's win, the best opportunity for the Mets to jump ahead of the Dodgers might have already came and went.

Dodgers are about to wrap up a 10-game stand that's been about as crappy as the Mets' stand just was (though if the Dodgers win tonight, they'll at least salvage a .500 record out of it).  Then like the Mets, they play their next seven on the road (3 against the Rockies and 4 against the Giants), then wrap up their season with a 3-game set at home, against the Padres.  The game that the Dodgers currently hold in hand against the Mets will played on Monday.

FWIW, the Dodges' records against their remaining opponents (not including tonight's game against the D-backs):

Colorado:  11-5 (4-2 road)

Giants:  6-9 (0-6 road)

Padres:  11-5 (4-2 home)

and the Mets:

Cincinnati:  3-0 (no road record)

Phillies:  14-2 (6-1 road)

Nationals:  10-6 (4-2 home)

And the O's effectively kill off any last gasp the Nats might've had. Hopefully this team just gets their collective game going now. Magic number down to 4.