The Marty Night thread

MadDog2020

58 minutes ago, BCdevil said:

I don't get the use of 1990.  I know that was his draft year and the year he technically joined the organization (like Daneyko) but it seems dopey to me.  I would rather that they all list the years of the first and last NHL regular season or playoff games for the NJ Devils.

I was hoping that they would splurge and redo the years/fonts to have all four be correct, have only 1 of each and put them down on the end on either side of the Cup banners (Daneyko Stevens 95 00 03 Niedermayer Brodeur).  I obviously didn't have my hopes up.

The years don't bother me that much.  Whether Niedermayer's banner said 2004 or 2005, I wouldn't have really quibbled.  I can understand either view though (years actually on Devils or years within the organization). 

Like your idea for the retirement banners being with the Cup banners.  It will look a little unbalanced once Elias' number goes up.  I wonder if Lamoriello will ever get some kind of honorary banner. 

From what I've heard, the devils apparently have gotten wise this year and ordered a ton of the pucks, banners and other special merchandise for Marty night, so there should be a good amount available at the den on Tuesday.  Hopefully this will avoid issues of hoarding to sell for big bucks on eBay.

11 hours ago, Pepperkorn said:

who on earth likes the Devils, the Mets and the Patriots?  :wub::evil:

One guess...

But to briefly re-cap:

Became a Devils fan because my parents took me and my brother to a Devils-Flyers game in December 1983 (I was 13).  Devils got waxed. I had long forgotten the finer details, but thanks to the power of the internet, I know that the exact date was 12/10/83, the score was 8-2, and the loss dropped the Devils to 5-22-1.  From that day on, I was a Devils fan.  Watched games when I could, but couldn't really watch them with much regularity until 1987-88, when my dad caved and hooked us with SportsChannel, and I could drive myself to games, as I had my license at that point. 

Became a Mets fan because my uncle took me to a game in 1978 (he had taken my brother to a Yankee game that same year).  Was only a casual fan then, but latched onto them more in 1983 when Strawberry came up, and Hernandez was added.  Gooden followed in 1984 (and of course other key players were becoming part of the team).  Gooden, Strawberry, and Hernandez were my early favorite Mets.  Also liked Darling and

I became a Pats fan initially because of the Pat Patriot logo (the one before the Flying Elvis).  As a kid I loved all things Revolutionary War.  Another kid in my neighborhood was also a Pats fan because of his dad, so we were the only Patriots fans in our school.  Was a big fan of Tony Eason early on.  And Irving Fryar and Craig James.

33 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

From what I've heard, the devils apparently have gotten wise this year and ordered a ton of the pucks, banners and other special merchandise for Marty night, so there should be a good amount available at the den on Tuesday.  Hopefully this will avoid issues of hoarding to sell for big bucks on eBay.

Good, there's really not much reason to offer this stuff in low quantities.  I think the eBay hoarders who thought they were going to move this stuff for huge dollars are in for a rude awakening...they might make $5-$10 bucks each on a few pucks or slightly more, but I'm glad most people will be able to just go to the Den and buy this stuff for retail.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

I would say Saturday we will have a good idea. The last few days I checked the GFS model and it keeps showing a strong low pressure system off of our coast which is not good at all. Really hoping these models change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The forecast I am looking at shows snow on Monday now.

Hey guys,

very excited for the night as all of you are too.  do you guys know for sure if we will get the mini banners and the nice photo that we got for the other 3?  I truly hope we do, although I feel a little nervous with different ownership.

Although someone working there is paying attention to details by having the same style retirement puck for sale that we had for the other 3.  Same thing last year where some of the 20th anniversary pucks had the exact stanley cup image on the back of the puck (from the stanley cup puck series)

I also would love to see a patch and a pin for sale with the Brodeur retirement logo as well as a puck with just the retirement logo in a bigger format (instead of a smaller image and saying NHL and official puck), I'd prefer a bigger logo and just the logo.

by the way CR76, awesome pics of your basement.  looks incredible!  I'm a big movie nut where I have mostly movie stuff in my basement, but I do have a section for the devils (and have the banners, 2 conn smyth plaques for #22 and #4, and many devils pucks from anniversary's, playoff series they've won, opening night pucks, the retirement #'s, etc)

Yes they will definitely have the mini banners for everyone and most likely have the photos as well.  My question is why would you think this ownership wouldn't do it?  I mean they did give us bobble heads this year for the first time in a solid decade.

i have so far seen images of the official game puck, the Marty 30 retirement number puck, a few banners, shirts and flags available for sale.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GIANTS79 said:

Hey guys,

very excited for the night as all of you are too.  do you guys know for sure if we will get the mini banners and the nice photo that we got for the other 3?  I truly hope we do, although I feel a little nervous with different ownership.

Although someone working there is paying attention to details by having the same style retirement puck for sale that we had for the other 3.  Same thing last year where some of the 20th anniversary pucks had the exact stanley cup image on the back of the puck (from the stanley cup puck series)

I also would love to see a patch and a pin for sale with the Brodeur retirement logo as well as a puck with just the retirement logo in a bigger format (instead of a smaller image and saying NHL and official puck), I'd prefer a bigger logo and just the logo.

by the way CR76, awesome pics of your basement.  looks incredible!  I'm a big movie nut where I have mostly movie stuff in my basement, but I do have a section for the devils (and have the banners, 2 conn smyth plaques for #22 and #4, and many devils pucks from anniversary's, playoff series they've won, opening night pucks, the retirement #'s, etc)

I'd be stunned if mini-banners and the photo aren't a part of this.  This ownership has not shown themselves to cheap out on the fan experience.  Makes for really nice collectibles too.

If you're referring to the red-faced pucks (like the ones on my wall), yes, those are apparently already available at the Devils Den and in much greater supply than the previous ones (I had to get the Stevens, Daneyko, and Niedermayer pucks all on eBay).  The Brodeur pucks are EXACTLY the same as the previous ones, in terms of overall appearance.

Thank for the kind words re:  my basement.  I've a movie (and music) nut too, but my basement just evolved towards sports-theming. 

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yes they will definitely have the mini banners for everyone and most likely have the photos as well.  My question is why would you think this ownership wouldn't do it?  I mean they did give us bobble heads this year for the first time in a solid decade.

i have so far seen images of the official game puck, the Marty 30 retirement number puck, a few banners, shirts and flags available for sale.

hope you are right pal.  To answer your question, no specific reason or anything I heard, just hoping the new owners won't change certain things (like I hope our team will always have this same jersey and logo) too many changes in the NFL and NHL for team logos and jerseys.  our's is perfect and has been perfect for the last 20 plus years.  Hope certain sga's remain the same (exact mini banner and photo for jersey retirements, etc)

so no specific reason to think that, just hoping nothing changes with certain traditions like mentioned above.

Management has already confirmed the mini-banners.  The picture I could take or leave.

its nothing against you, but I just find it odd/funny that there is a decent sized portion of our fans that think the worst of our owners when they haven't done anything to justify it other than not giving out tickets like free candy and changing the goal song.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Management has already confirmed the mini-banners.  The picture I could take or leave.

its nothing against you, but I just find it odd/funny that there is a decent sized portion of our fans that think the worst of our owners when they haven't done anything to justify it other than not giving out tickets like free candy and changing the goal song.

that's awesome they confirmed that, just curious where they confirmed that?  

no problem, I don't take that personal.  I don't have any specific reason other than I just have a negative approach to things sometimes until proven different.  too be honest I don't know too much about the new owners and was just assuming more than anything.

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd be stunned if mini-banners and the photo aren't a part of this.  This ownership has not shown themselves to cheap out on the fan experience.  Makes for really nice collectibles too.

If you're referring to the red-faced pucks (like the ones on my wall), yes, those are apparently already available at the Devils Den and in much greater supply than the previous ones (I had to get the Stevens, Daneyko, and Niedermayer pucks all on eBay).  The Brodeur pucks are EXACTLY the same as the previous ones, in terms of overall appearance.

Thank for the kind words re:  my basement.  I've a movie (and music) nut too, but my basement just evolved towards sports-theming. 

Hope you are right about the new ownership.  Yes I was, and as you said I'm glad the overall appearance is exactly the same.  Keeping it standard and having it look great with the others.  I was able to get #4 and #3 in person on those nights (although it was chaos getting them that night).  #27 I didn't see anywhere that night and was pissed, but found it on e-bay a few months later (not sure if they had that puck that night, I looked everywhere and couldn't find it).  so I do have that, but had to pay more.

your welcome, your basement does look amazing, even nicer than mine.  I love sports too, but I decided to go with a movie theater open space type of theme where I have a lot of open space and a big tv, etc (movie framed posters and different collectibles related to movies).  but I was glad there is a small side room in the basement which I've used for my devils pucks, banners, bobbleheads and things like that.

I also agree with what you said about how it feels weird this day has come.  I remember going to games where 87-88 was the only banner and the devils were lucky to be a 4 seed in the patrick division and lose in the first round.  to then see them become a contender in 93-94 and continue that trend for almost 20 years is surreal.  the last 4 years have been tough, but for them to go on a run like that for so long is so hard to believe that it happened and equally hard to believe that it's now over.  Only the wings had a better run in that 20 year period (and as you know our team beat them).

going back to 93-94 the beginning of #30, as weird as this sounds I didn't even like him that much his first year.  I was a big fan of Chris Terrari and was mad that Marty was playing so much over him at that time.  Thankfully I was wrong and he went on to surpass everything Patrick Roy was doing at that time (which he was the class of goalies in the early 90's until Brodeur and Hasak started to take over).  to think back on that time that the devils were going to have a goalie that became better than Roy is just insane to think back on.  that's like having a guy starting out on the devils becoming the next Gretzky or Lemieux within the next decade plus.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not to mention they've done a nice job giving the arena some freshening up (we've been over the Fire and Ice Lounges and how both started looking gaudy and dated very quickly) and improved the overall food quality and options.  They've let their GMs spend.  They might've had a few corporate-type missteps early (probably got some bad advice with what NJ fans are supposed to like), but I think they've been fine overall.  I don't have any complaints.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is silly, but they are not exactly the same.  They are missing the stray white notch on the lower right side of the outer red ring.  It drove me crazy that the notch was there on the first three.  It will now drive me crazy that there is not one.

33 minutes ago, BCdevil said:

This is silly, but they are not exactly the same.  They are missing the stray white notch on the lower right side of the outer red ring.  It drove me crazy that the notch was there on the first three.  It will now drive me crazy that there is not one.

I'll have to take a closer look (and hopefully will be able to get one tuesday and can compare them with the others).  But I definitely appreciate your attention to detail.

the one thing that did bother me about the last one (#27) is that it was a different shade of red and much darker than the first 2 pucks (so while I was glad the style remained for all 3, I was disappointed how much darker #27 was).  not sure if that was every puck for Scott N or just mine.

Looked on eBay and sure enough, the Stevens and Daneyko pucks currently available have that little white mark.  I'm assuming mine at home do (I'm not there so I can't tell).  

Seems like nothing went right with Niedermayer's retirement goodies...that shade of red used on his puck was nowhere near the first two (you can see that in my wall pic...much darker) and it also had that weird number font (similar to his banner). Brodeur's puck and banner have clearly gotten things back on track.

21 hours ago, mfb42183 said:

I meant just have them retire it on sat instead vs washington

Yeah I'm sure that would go over well with the thousands of fans that spent over $100 for tickets to Tuesday's game to see the ceremony.  There is no way they reschedule the ceremony unless they need to reschedule the game itself.  Otherwise it would be completely unfair to everyone who bought a ticket for Tuesday.

37 minutes ago, devilsfan26 said:

Yeah I'm sure that would go over well with the thousands of fans that spent over $100 for tickets to Tuesday's game to see the ceremony.  There is no way they reschedule the ceremony unless they need to reschedule the game itself.  Otherwise it would be completely unfair to everyone who bought a ticket for Tuesday.

looks like no snow so its a moot point right now