2017 World Junior Championship Thread

thefiestygoat

That was probably the most exciting moment in sports for me since Henrique. I only passively followed the WJC until a few years ago, so I didn't enjoy the 2013 gold the way I would now. And beyond that I like bad sports teams.

This team is so god damn creative and poised and hard-working, I wish I could watch them 82 times. It's such nice hockey to watch. When it got towards the end of regulation, I thought a shootout loss was almost inevitable. Russia played the US the right way, but the Americans were so obviously the better team. I didn't want OT to end and flip the shootout coin. And it looked like the Russians had it after the first round. Man what a game.

That was so awesome. The way this team came back after being down 4-2 so quickly in the 3rd period was tremendous. They went undefeated in the tournament and beat Canada 2x! I loved every minute of watching these guys play and I'm glad I bought the NHL network for the tournament(I'll be canceling it tomorrow lol)

Champions and it feels amazing! USA! USA! USA! 

• Like 3

Didn't get to see the game, but it sounds like I missed a good one. 

Nice to see us take the gold. Especially after the embarrassment with Tortorella/Team USA at the World Cup. 

Is this the first time the US has won gold since the year Parise was on the team? 

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

That was so awesome. The way this team came back after being down 4-2 so quickly in the 3rd period was tremendous. They went undefeated in the tournament and beat Canada 2x! I loved every minute of watching these guys play and I'm glad I bought the NHL network for the tournament(I'll be canceling it tomorrow lol)

Champions and it feels amazing! USA! USA! USA! 

How could anyone who was watching this not stay up and watch. So proud of them. McAvoy said we were booed for 80 minutes & victory so so much sweeter beating them there.  Speers played very well, and color guy with Steve Mears compared him to Kunitz.  @joeyandy was used in defensive situations. He was counted on heavily.

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Didn't get to see the game, but it sounds like I missed a good one. 

Nice to see us take the gold. Especially after the embarrassment with Tortorella/Team USA at the World Cup. 

Is this the first time the US has won gold since the year Parise was on the team? 

So intense, just back & forth. our goalie was lights out.  McAvoy was good, but goalie WAS the difference in this game

• Like 1

That was an amazing game!  To battle back from 2 goals down twice in the game, and to do it all in a hostile environment like that makes it even better.

A couple of my takeaways relating to the Devils prospects in the game.  Joey Anderson played in some key situations all game long, and was huge on the PK, especially in OT where he blocked shots and really hampered Canada's attempts to get pucks at the net from the point.  That kid is quick and strong along the walls, winning a ton of puck battles along the way.  He might not be a huge scoring forward in the future, but it sure looks like he will be able to play a top 9 role in the NHL.

Blake Speers is of a similar mold as Anderson.  He's got a motor, and a little more offensive upside to his game.  Goes hard to the net and is not afraid of contact.  Also good on the PK and, I believe, was on Canada's top PK unit.

Michael McLeod didn't get a ton of minutes in this game, but he was noticeable when he did.  He has wheels and made a terrific pass out of his zone to spring that Joseph kid for Canada's 4th goal.  I was surprised Canada didn't use him more during the game. 

Overall, this tournament was a good showing for all 4 Devils prospects involved (Rykov had a great tournament for Russia, and was one of, if not their best defensemen).  We still don't seem to have the high end playmakers and finishers in our pipeline, but the prospect pool is beginning to look a little deeper.

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite hockey teams of all time. They battled from behind in the finals and semifinals, I've never seen a team respond so well after allowing goals. After the last half decade of Devils hockey, I've forgotten what it's like to be cheering for such an effective team. They were able to create space for themselves on the puck, zone entries were flawless, the power play was excellent, the offense was creative and organized. What an amazing puck possession team. And they did this without the star power of previous years. No Hanifins, Eichels, Matthews, Werenskis, DeBrincat was left off the roster. Still a really talented team, with a handful of mid first rounders.

I might have said this before, but what this team finally accomplished that USA Hockey tried with the last Olympic and World Cup rosters was putting a cohesive roster together that was designed to play a certain way, not throw the 23 best guys together and hope they're better than Canada. Tortorella and Lombardi (deservedly) got a lot of heat for it after the World Cup, but clearly the group that assembled this roster did something right and struck a good chord. I think putting together a Herb Brooks team is easier with the WJC because these kids get together more, first in the summer and again for a longer camp before the tournament. Hell, 6 of these guys are BU teammates. You're able to establish an identity at the national level with juniors in a way you can't with the senior team who play together a few weeks at a time every 2-4 years.

• Like 1