GDT: Red Wings @ Devils 7:00PM

Aznjsn

46 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Again, this isn't true. At all. Nothing about it, in fact, is true.

That's two more wins and five fewer regular season losses now than we had at this point two years ago. I have no idea where this stat is being pulled from, but I tend to believe it's a dark and sort of stinky place,

gotta it 2 reg wins and 7 pts.   Be interesting to see where they land at the end of the year and if they can put the brakes on this skid sooner rather than later. 

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

What? That's not even remotely true.

Through 46 games played:

• In 2015-2016, we were 22-19-5 (49 points).
  • In 2017-2018 we are 24-14-8 (56 points).

I'm all for criticism, but it shouldn't be a complete lie... 

(Edit: In fact, you'd have to go back to 2009 to find the last time we had more than 56 points through 46 games played.) 

2015-16 season. January 23rd 2016.  Win #25. Came against the Jets

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So you're using calendar date rather than games played? 

That seems... weird.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NJD/2016_games.html

Im using the literal schedule and I said as of this point in the season meaning January 23rd 2016, yes. I get 2 games is 2 games and the points are better (esp since we almost ALWAYS lost in regulation and these new devils are finding a way to force points), but this team is still mediocre except for the 3 core guys we actually have.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nice- they didn't hand him $4K in cash though right? I'd tell them to just send me a check, I'd never feel safe carrying that kind of money on me lol.

They're sending him a check.  I suppose I could have phrased that better.

• Like 1

RunninWiththeDevil's post won't quote right for me - a difference between the 2015-16 team and this one is that that team also won a lot of OT games.  They were 8-4 in OT/SO at this point that season.  This year's team is 7-8.  They're not getting OT luck.  They may be getting lucky to get there, but they're not unsustainbly good in OT.

Edited by Triumph

8 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I understand what he was trying to say... like, “ohh only two years have passed and we’re going backwards! Look that team had one more win!” 

The only issue was the minor detail of being entirely incorrect.

I understand also, but we are still second place in the Metro. 5 points out of first. 

Are we statistically a ton better? No. Are we more competitive? Fvck yeah. Maybe its because all of the teams are keeping pace with each other and nobody is blowing out the division like the Caps did in 2016, but we are still in things. And another 5-6 game streak and its all turned around again. 

Speaking of 2015-16, the other thing is that was a bad team that overachieved. Everything they did turned out better than expected. Henrique had a career year, Pamieri probably had a career year, journeyman they picked up Stempniak and Schlemko had one of their best seasons, Schneider had an excellent year, obscure agitator waiver claim Bobby Farnham scored 8, deadline acquisition Devante Smith-Pelly caught fire. It was a lucky year and really that team should have been worse. I see it as 2016-17 was a regression to the mean (other than Schneider being off) and this year I see a young and legitimately improved team with more talent and an improved style of play. Not a contender yet, no one expected them to be, they are just in a valley right now.

18 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Again, I understand that you’re using an actual calendar to tell me where the team stood. I’m just saying that if you want to arbitrarily compare this team to the team 2 years ago, you might want to compare apples to apples. How many points did we have January 23rd, 1995? The lockout year. Seems equally relevant. 

”This team is mediocre except for its 3 best players” can probably be said about 90% of the league. Hell, it can probably be said about 90% of every team in every sport. I think you’re doing a disservice to the team who’s 2nd in the Metro (with a game in hand); especially trying to negatively compare them to the 2015 squad (which is - without a doubt - what you were doing).

The main thing that keeps coming to mind is something you said back in September. 

I said that I didn't have any expectations for this team, so if we're good, we're good, if we're bad, that's fine too. 

I can't find the exact quote, but you compared this team to the Yankees. Team full of young talent that no one really expected to go on a serious run, that was in playoff position at the time and making you sh!t your pants every game. I think that's where a lot of fans, myself included, are at right now.