Sign Nico Hischier to an extension!!

mfitz804

With all the Taylor talk, I think we are still overlooking that our boy, our first 1st overall, is eligible for a contract extension. We should be talking about it more, and Ray should be addressing it. Granted he is a RFA so the situation is different, but so is the cost. 

I would have zero issues locking him up for 8 years. I don’t know if he’s willing because of course the trend seems to be against that. I totally understand, because if he continues on the path he’s on, he’s going to find himself getting paid a lot of money down the line. 

So it really comes down to AAV. What do you give Nico? And, what AAV would Nico be crazy not to take 8 years of?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

When is he officially allowed to sign the extension? For some reason I thought it wasn't until Christmas-ish. 

I looked for a different rule for ELC’s but didn’t find one. So I assumed it’s the same as anyone else, you can sign an extension in your last year of your deal.

Anyone know the rule?

EDIT: McDavid signed his extension after his ELC on July 5 of that year. So I guess it is the same. 

Edited by mfitz804

One issue that I have with the OP is that it feels like there's a subtle implication that Nico's impending RFA status isn't even Ray's radar, as though he needs reminding that it needs to be addressed.  I have no doubts that Nico's situation is on Ray's mind (I'm sure Bratt's is there too), but there's Hall's situation and other things going on (like the beginning of a new season with many new faces in the fold). 

As for what I'd give him...it's too early to answer.  Last year was derailed a bit by general team suckage and Nico missing some games (not to mention missing his top linemates for extended stretches), but from a pure forensic standpoint, Nico's numbers were only a slight improvement over his rookie season...at this point I'd probably try to get him on a deal that would be a little low (though not insulting) AND allow me to sign him as an RFA again later.  And I wouldn't blame him much if he said "Thanks, but no thanks."

To throw an actual number out there, I guess a 6 to 8-year deal at $7 - 8 million has to be seen as a potential bargain, if he wants to sign for that long. 

I like Nico a hell of a lot and wouldn't mind him being extended one bit, but at the same time, it's probably not in his best interests to sign anything until this season's over...I gotta think he'll bet on himself to both stay healthy and put up career numbers...the perfect storm to go into your first RFA off-season. 

In some ways I don't envy Shero in the next few years, that's for sure...Devils could have a lot of potential, very good RFAs to pay in the next few seasons...obviously a nice problem to have because that means there's real talent on the team, but there will definitely be some painful decisions to be made. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I was thinking something similar, like 8-9M for any number of years, whether it's 5 or 8.  

If Nico has really loved playing for us for 2 years going on 3, sees the team on the upswing with the moves we've made, and like this area and is comfortable being here for a while (he's still only 20, so he has his whole life ahead of him still, not like he's planning for/with a family at the moment),  then I could see him potentially agreeing to a long term deal for 5+ years.  If he's somewhat iffy, then maybe he only signs a 3 or 4 year deal, but either way I think he gets something that will keep him in a Devils uniform for a little while.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One issue that I have with the OP is that it feels like there's a subtle implication that Nico's impending RFA status isn't even Ray's radar, as though he needs reminding that it needs to be addressed.  I have no doubts that Nico's situation is on Ray's mind (I'm sure Bratt's is there too), but there's Hall's situation and other things going on (like the beginning of a new season with many new faces in the fold). 

No, I meant nobody here is talking about it. I'm sure Ray is doing what he needs to do, and if in fact he's not in a rush to talk to Taylor, it stands to reason he'd be in less of a rush to talk to a guy who is an RFA. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was thinking something similar, like 8-9M for any number of years, whether it's 5 or 8.  

That was how I was thinking initially, then I started thinking that based on what we've seen so far, I am not sure I would pay him $9m, especially if he isn't giving you term. If he wanted to do 8 years at $9m, I might be more inclined than if he will only do 4-5 years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That was how I was thinking initially, then I started thinking that based on what we've seen so far, I am not sure I would pay him $9m, especially if he isn't giving you term. If he wanted to do 8 years at $9m, I might be more inclined than if he will only do 4-5 years. 

Agreed.  I think 9M is fine if he's locked up for that long, otherwise maybe slightly less for a shorter contract.  Only reason I think it might still happen regardless is the emphasis that other people are putting on high dollar contracts lately and how star players are commanding more.  

Ray must give him 4...5? Years to keep him in rfa status. And then give him so many years as we can on new(or today) CBA rules.

and I don’t know how much money he may want after stupid philly contract with Hayes.

Edited by Guadana

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

I completely agree we should sign him as soon as possible. This is the year he breaks out. His salary demands will only go up the longer we wait.

I think Hischier and his agent understand that they should not hurry in current situation. 

48 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Ray must give him 4...5? Years to keep him in rfa status. And then give him so many years as we can on new(or today) CBA rules.

and I don’t know how much money he may want after stupid philly contract with Hayes.

If I am not mistaken, one is a UFA after age 27 or after 7 years of service. Thus a 4 year extension would take Nico through his 7th season and then he would be a UFA. 

30 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I feel like it's going to be a 5 or 6 year deal. It might be good to sign it early, playing with more talent this year his numbers will likely go up. 

That's my feeling on it, the more years you give the better bargain you may wind up with. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If I am not mistaken, one is a UFA after age 27 or after 7 years of service. Thus a 4 year extension would take Nico through his 7th season and then he would be a UFA. 

Hm. If we gave him 3 year contract it will be huge pain in our clAsses. So... 8 years for nico please.

Edited by Guadana