Montreal @ New Jersey

lazer

Montreal @ New Jersey 2/4/20 @ 7 on MSG  

19 members have voted

1. 1. To care or not to care

• Care
    • Dont care

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn’t say I would have. I said you could do the same thing with Zacha. You were acting like it was conclusive proof of something, which it isn’t. 

I never said or implied that the things in the highlights were things that happened every game. The assertion was that Hughes has been less than impressive. For different people that means different things, but I literally just posted some situations where he has been plenty impressive. There are many more times he has been impressive, but I don't have the video, and I am not going to comb the internet looking for it. Now, if you want to take the position that if it isn't on the score sheet then it doesn't count then that is fair, but that is not how I measure it.

Everyone had their own expectations for what Hughes was supposed to accomplish this season but people need to adjust that given the context of what has happened with this team. Most of his USNDP peers aren't even in the league yet.

• Like 1

I mean... at this point Jack is currently the most successful prospect out of his draft class.

Like... we HAD to pick a prospect. We had the #1 pick meaning we could pick the ONE player we wanted out of all of them. We picked him. And he's the most successful so far out of ALL the other prospects so far. 

He's not McDavid sadly and not meeting most people expectations. Well what? What's the reasonable and logical alternative that you guys would prefer exactly? It's all about timing and there's literally NOTHING management could have done unless they would have traded the first overall pick but then fans would have probably torch the building lol

Edited by SterioDesign

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean... at this point Jack is currently the most successful prospect out of his draft class.

Like... we HAD to pick a prospect. We had the #1 pick meaning we could pick the ONE player we wanted out of all of them. We picked him. And he's the most successful so far out of ALL the other prospects so far. 

He's not McDavid sadly and not meeting most people expectations. Well what? What's the reasonable and logical alternative that you guys would prefer exactly? It's all about timing and there's literally NOTHING management could have done unless they would have traded the first overall pick but then fans would have probably torch the building lol

Valid points. 

39 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I never said or implied that the things in the highlights were things that happened every game. The assertion was that Hughes has been less than impressive. For different people that means different things, but I literally just posted some situations where he has been plenty impressive. There are many more times he has been impressive, but I don't have the video, and I am not going to comb the internet looking for it. Now, if you want to take the position that if it isn't on the score sheet then it doesn't count then that is fair, but that is not how I measure it.

Everyone had their own expectations for what Hughes was supposed to accomplish this season but people need to adjust that given the context of what has happened with this team. Most of his USNDP peers aren't even in the league yet.

People definitely need to adjust. That’s why I said neither he or Kakko has “failed”.

I’d like to see Jack get pushed off the puck less. I had the same criticism of Nico during his rookie year, and he came back year 2 with that problem completely solved. 

I think Nico and Jack are having similar rookie seasons, and that if Jack were centering Taylor Hall in MVP form on a playoff bound team, his point total would end up being closer to what Nico had.

Steven Stamkos had 46 points in 79 GP his rookie season. 

Leon Draisaitl had 9 points in 37 GP his rookie season.

Tyler Seguin had 22 points in 74 GP his rookie season.

Pavel Datsyuk had 35 points in 70 GP his rookie season. At 23 years old. 

Those guys turned into halfway decent hockey players. I think there’s still hope for Jack lol

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Those guys turned into halfway decent hockey players. I think there’s still hope for Jack lol

We live in an instant gratification society. This kind of thing is a reflection of that.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think anyone is even saying that. Not anyone who makes sense anyway. 

I understand being a little disappointed he’s not lighting it up, but the “b” word coming out already is beyond ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I understand being a little disappointed he’s not lighting it up, but the “b” word coming out already is beyond ridiculous. 

Especially in light of the fact that a year ago, people were saying Zacha was too young to be called a bust. 

maje a list of 18 year olds who came in and tore up the league, and then see how many of them are first ballot hall of famers. You have to be an absolute freak of nature to pull off success at that age. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Especially in light of the fact that a year ago, people were saying Zacha was too young to be called a bust. 

maje a list of 18 year olds who came in and tore up the league, and then see how many of them are first ballot hall of famers. You have to be an absolute freak of nature to pull off success at that age. 

And it would be interesting to see who they played with. Toronto had some pretty good players when Matthews got there for example. Imagine Jack playing with Marner, Nylander, Kadri, JVR...

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And it would be interesting to see who they played with. Toronto had some pretty good players when Matthews got there for example. Imagine Jack playing with Marner, Nylander, Kadri, JVR...

Indeed. 

Funny, I think folks on this site have floated the idea of us winding up with all of those guys other than Matthews. 

Edited by mfitz804

Going back to the actual game - I find it incredible that Cangi made a note that Devils going to the power play with 4 forwards and 1D when they were about to give up the shorty. I mean notch it up for Nas’ learning experience but who in the right mind doesn’t have contingency 2D safe power play plan for a large lead late in the period 

10 minutes ago, PacificDevil said:

Going back to the actual game - I find it incredible that Cangi made a note that Devils going to the power play with 4 forwards and 1D when they were about to give up the shorty. I mean notch it up for Nas’ learning experience but who in the right mind doesn’t have contingency 2D safe power play plan for a large lead late in the period 

I’m not sure the state of our D corps permits that anyway. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

We live in an instant gratification society. This kind of thing is a reflection of that.

Yeah and while I obviously understand the frustration. So many fans are putting their own "instant satisfaction" before what's best for the team and its future success. They just can't handle it

I mean, im not really pro-tanking but obviously... for the state the team has been in for years, we needed to stack sooooo much talent... so the lower we finish.. it's helping us getting a better chance at picking players that could potentially turn this team around.

When it's all said and done. Are we potentially in a better position now having finished low, landing Hughes... or missing the playoffs by a point or 2 and landing a mid first round player like Caufield or York? Who would you rather build around?

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

i mean just the fact that he's playing in the NHL and having any points is already ahead of soooooo many current top NHL players at the same age

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean just the fact that he's playing in the NHL and having any points is already ahead of soooooo many current top NHL players at the same age

Yep, Hughes was in the league 4 months after he turned 18. Stamkos was nearly 19 , Draisaitl and Seguin both were 19 and Datsyuk was 23 when they out up those numbers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yep, Hughes was in the league 4 months after he turned 18. Stamkos was nearly 19 , Draisaitl and Seguin both were 19 and Datsyuk was 23 when they out up those numbers. 

And I’ve pointed out before, Jack came right into the league from the USNDTP. No time in juniors (like the majority of #1 picks), no time in Europe (like Matthews), no time in college (like Erik Johnson), just right to the NHL as a BABY. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

When you take 4 plays out of 44 games, that's very cherry picked. Hell, we could watch that game where Zacha had 2G, 1A and you would think he was the Czech Wayne Gretzky. I'm not saying that Jack doesn't have skill at all. I'm not at all disappointed with him. Take it out on someone else, like...

I am disappointed about at least ten things that are more disappointing than Jack.

1) Cory

2) Zacha (we said disappointed, not surprised lol)

3) Wayne Simmonds

4) Miles Wood

5) Our entire defense.

6) The loss of Taylor Hall and the gain of nobody significant

7) Getting rid of Hynes (yay) and then replacing him with Nasreddine (WHAT???). 

😎 Getting rid of Ray Shero and going into the trade deadline without a real GM or a real coach. 

9) Jesper Josefson, I mean Boqvist. Flashes of adequacy, and then AHL exile. 

10) Consistent playing of Hayden and to a lesser degree, Rooney. 

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I personally feel that Jack would have had better numbers if he had someone better to play with and/or the team was doing better. It's not really a shock that Nico's rookie season looked better, he benefitted tremendously from playing alongside the league MVP on a team that (barely) made the playoffs. 

This is a great list, and essentially sums up all of the things I am disappointed in as well. 

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And I’ve pointed out before, Jack came right into the league from the USNDTP. No time in juniors (like the majority of #1 picks), no time in Europe (like Matthews), no time in college (like Erik Johnson), just right to the NHL as a BABY. 

yeah PLUS we knew he was a smaller guy and would need time to adjust

• Like 1