GDT: Round 3 - The Quest for a Goal

jagknife

8 hours ago, titans04 said:

Panarin has more talent in the left side of his ballsack than our entire forward group. It's so sad it's funny.

Panarin didn’t even enter the NHL until he was 24 years old. I’m not saying Jack, Nico, or anyone else we have will ever be on his level, but I’m beyond tired of seeing this kind of stuff thrown around without any context. Our best forwards are children.

Anyway, just finished up the game on the DVR, and obviously the result sucked, but I continue to love Hughes playing with Sharongovich. It took way longer than it should of to find him a shooter, but better late than never.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Panarin didn’t even enter the NHL until he was 24 years old. I’m not saying Jack, Nico, or anyone else we have will ever be on his level, but I’m beyond tired of seeing this kind of stuff thrown around without any context. Our best forwards are children.

Anyway, just finished up the game on the DVR, and obviously the result sucked, but I continue to love Hughes playing with Sharongovich. It took way longer than it should of to find him a shooter, but better late than never.

Going off memory but Zibenejad didn’t really “blossom” until about that age either.

Next year is where we really need to see improvement.  This season has been an abortion with the limited camp, compressed season, injuries and Covid stoppage.  Long term, I think we’ll be happy we bombed to another top 5 pick while also seeing guys like Jack Hughes, Ty Smith and Pavel Zacha show significant development. At least that’s what I’m going with at this point.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Going off memory but Zibenejad didn’t really “blossom” until about that age either.

Next year is where we really need to see improvement.  This season has been an abortion with the limited camp, compressed season, injuries and Covid stoppage.  Long term, I think we’ll be happy we bombed to another top 5 pick while also seeing guys like Jack Hughes, Ty Smith and Pavel Zacha show significant development. At least that’s what I’m going with at this point.  

yeah really that's what i'm thinking too. We DO have a better team than the results we got this year. But we were certainly not making a dent in the playoffs either so might as well get the best drafting position (hopefully for the last time in awhile) and restock or make trades with our picks.

When you really look at our season we didnt suck as much as it seems. We were missing our captain/best player the whole season. Went t hrough covid, so many rookies (who all played very well), the vets not producing like they should. etc etc And most of our losses were by 1 goal. to me thats pretty damn good.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That's great. And as of today there's no guarantee they will ever turn out to be what Panarin is. Do I hope they do sure. All we have is hope. All we've had for years now is hope. Kids alone won't get it gone. Draft picks alone with kids won't get it done. Not all high draft picks are difference makers. Are we better off than last year, by some measures yes our winning percentage is still bottom five. 

When our strategy becomes anything other than sitting back and waiting on kids while bringing in lower middle tier other team's spare parts. 

Not every high pick will end up raising the bar in the end. Jack certainly will. We have other examples of guys that don't and the were drafted as far back as I believe 16. I long for the day when showing a pulse isn't good enough to make this lineup after all these years. Nothing crazy like going deep into the playoffs. For context what's the expected time frame for that on paper? 

Edited by titans04

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The fact is, they are currently nowhere near Panarin’s level. Their age could be the reason why. Or, they may never be.

Will either of them be at Panarin’s level at his age? Nobody has any idea.