2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

27 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Keeping us on life support just long enough to get finished off by the Rangers when they embarass us again

That’s assuming the Rangers game even matters.  The Devils are fully capable of sh!tting the bed against the Penguins Tuesday evening, so they may be dead on arrival at MSG.

• Like 1

The teams currently in the bottom part of the playoff hunt:  “Hey Devils, you sure you don’t want in on this?”

The Devils:  “Yep.”

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

The sad reality of our team is that even with all the help they are getting in the standings they still suck arse anyways. 

The clock appears to FINALLY have struck midnight on the Flyers…they’ve been getting killed in most of their losses lately.  The sad reality is that if the Devils were at all capable of shaving the Flyers’ lead in the standings to two points or less by the time they play each other, they probably pull ahead of them in the standings.

But that won’t happen, mostly because Groan has no fvcking idea what he’s doing, just like his predecessor.  Basically it’s hope the talent can freewheel and hope the goalies can continue to wildly overachieve.  A shame, in that if the Devils just had a damned real coach with an actual plan, they could probably find a way to do just enough to squeak in.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

The sad reality of our team is that even with all the help they are getting in the standings they still suck arse anyways. 

They’re getting what they—players, coaches, and executives—deserve.  Too many of the players thought they could ride the coattails of last season’s success and cruise to a playoff berth.  That hasn’t happened, largely because they didn’t account for the possibility that their opponents would be better prepared for their style of play, which took many teams by surprise a season ago.

Lindy was not capable of devising countermeasures to teams’ adjustments, nor was he able to implement alternative plans of attack that would invalidate said adjustments.  Green hasn’t been much better, although he at least seems to have a pulse and has been able to coax occasional physicality from an otherwise soft group of men.

That brings us to Fitz.  When you see that your team is consistently underprepared for games and that your coach has no answers for opposing teams’ game plans, you fire the coach and find someone better—immediately.  You don’t waste more than three quarters of the season hoping your team’s myriad problems will miraculously fix themselves.  You make a coaching change and subsequently provide the new coach with personnel who can help him do his job effectively.

As disappointing as this season has been, many of its missteps and ill-fated decisions will be forgiven if the team improves next season, an eventuality possible only if the above parties learn from their mistakes and understand that at the NHL level, sustaining success requires just as much—if not more—effort and commitment than the initial achievement of success.

• Like 1

@ButlerBulldog at this point, TBH I’m past the point of pointing out yet again what went wrong this season; collectively, we’ve all covered it…we’ve put in our two cents so many times that we’re just about out of pennies.

I just wanna know what Fitz has in mind to fix things, or at the very least, get this ship headed in the right direction.  Unfortunately those answers likely aren’t coming until June, at the earliest.  Like I’ve said, this limbo period sucks.  Especially since more “WTF?!” kinds of losses are still bound to happen as this season winds down.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@ButlerBulldog at this point, TBH I’m past the point of pointing out yet again what went wrong this season; collectively, we’ve all covered it…we’ve put in our two cents so many times that we’re just about out of pennies.

I just wanna know what Fitz has in mind to fix things, or at they very least, get this ship headed in the right direction.  Unfortunately those answers likely aren’t coming until June, at the earliest.  Like I’ve said, this limbo period sucks.  Especially since more “WTF?!” kinds of losses are still bound to happen as this season winds down.

Fitz’s postseason press-conference should be interesting, as that may be our first opportunity to hear his ideas on how he can improve the team for next season.  I hope he has a plan, as there are no more answers in the room.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Fitz’s postseason press-conference should be interesting, as that may be our first opportunity to hear his ideas on how he can improve the team for next season.  I hope he has a plan, as there are no more answers in the room.

Sadly, I bet it’s going to sound a lot like that interview he did with LeBrun.

I just hope he doesn’t solely lock onto Markstrom as his goalie target. He’s showing too much of his hand and he’s an atrocious bluffer. I said it before, I think any of us could clean out his pockets in a game of poker. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I just hope he doesn’t solely lock onto Markstrom as his goalie target. He’s showing too much of his hand and he’s an atrocious bluffer. I said it before, I think any of us could clean out his pockets in a game of poker. 

And make him cry in the process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I think he’s going to shop around, but I really hope he doesn’t ultimately wind up with Question Markstrom.  That is not a big fish.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think he’s going to shop around, but I really hope he doesn’t ultimately wind up with Question Markstrom.  That is not a big fish.  

Saros, Askarov, or Ullmark or fvck off. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

He won't be candid. Likely just more of the same canned sh!t we have heard already with some more canned sh!t about how the buck stops with him yadda yadda. I expect sound bytes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Sorokin 👀

I swear, when it comes to goalies these days…

image.gif.c8a5be71ce62fed698917228b4209258.gif

Talk about bad goalie deals... what the hell was Ottawa thinking signing Korpisalo to that contract last summer? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

This guy looks like he's ready to sell you an overpriced rug. He's going to break Gretzky's goal record. Let that stew for a minute or two. I love hockey.

That’s the irony of the whole situation.  Although I’m sure most sports fans have at least heard of Alex Ovechkin, how many would actually recognize him if he passed them on a sidewalk?

8 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

That’s the irony of the whole situation.  Although I’m sure most sports fans have at least heard of Alex Ovechkin, how many would actually recognize him if he passed them on a sidewalk?

They’d say, “Hey, I think I just saw the guy from Happy Gilmore…ya know, the guy who had the nail in his head!  But I thought that guy passed away…”

• Like 2