official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

So happy curb your enthusiasm is back, great first episode and...

Hide contents

there was some covid jokes, god damn Albert Brooks is a covid hoarder! haha

Also loved Larry pitching a Netflix show on his HBO show lol

Spoiler

Larry’s face during the Mexican girl’s audition (and her “headshot”) had me dying. :lol:

Edited by Nicomo
  • Haha 2

On 10/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, mfitz804 said:

I need a new TV show to binge on Netflix. My criteria are drama, made in America, in English. Nothing foreign, nothing comedic. All of the famous HBO shows and Netflix products I have already seen. 

Ideally, I like to find something with a ton of seasons that I just happen to have overlooked. 

Tell me about a show I may have missed.

Have you seen Mad Men?  I didn't love it, there were some great parts like Christina Hendricks, but it's rather well regarded and fits your criteria.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Have you seen Mad Men?  I didn't love it, there were some great parts like Christina Hendricks, but it's rather well regarded and fits your criteria.

I have not, actually. And have meant to and it slipped my mind. I will look into where I can stream it, thanks. 

14 hours ago, Crisis said:

You crushed it with this recommendation. I’m only 1 episode in, but I’m all the way in. Just what I was looking for. 

I feel like I’m going to get lung cancer if I watch the whole series, but I guess that’s a risk I’m taking. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

You crushed it with this recommendation. I’m only 1 episode in, but I’m all the way in. Just what I was looking for. 

I feel like I’m going to get lung cancer if I watch the whole series, but I guess that’s a risk I’m taking. 

Ha for real.  I started watching it when I was taking part in a Sober October one year and I think I drank a handle of bourbon that November 1st.

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

Ha for real.  I started watching it when I was taking part in a Sober October one year and I think I drank a handle of bourbon that November 1st.

I can see that. 

The thing about shows like this is that great characters make them, and there’s already 3-4 great characters developing in just the first episode. 

But seriously, could people have possibly smoked this much back then?? It’s borderline ridiculous. Holding aside the health effects and what they knew or didn’t know back then, it just seems like an awful lot of time and effort was dedicated to it. At work, on the train, in a restaurant, literally everywhere, these people must smoke 10 packs a day. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But seriously, could people have possibly smoked this much back then?? It’s borderline ridiculous. Holding aside the health effects and what they knew or didn’t know back then, it just seems like an awful lot of time and effort was dedicated to it. At work, on the train, in a restaurant, literally everywhere, these people must smoke 10 packs a day. 

My dad got his first job in 1970…he said every meeting was like Spicoli’s van from Fast Times.  If you didn’t have your smokes on you, someone in the meeting instantly offered you one. Just the way it often was back then.  He started in his late teens, didn’t quit until his early 40s.  My mother was also a smoker, quit around the same time.  

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My dad got his first job in 1970…he said every meeting was like Spicoli’s van from Fast Times.  If you didn’t have your smokes on you, someone in the meeting instantly offered you one. Just the way it often was back then.  He started in his late teens, didn’t quit until his early 40s.  My mother was also a smoker, quit around the same time.  

I mean I think smoking in general is ridiculous, but holy fvck, every 5 seconds on this show! 

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean I think smoking in general is ridiculous, but holy fvck, every 5 seconds on this show! 

And everything must have smelt so bad.  I can't stand the scent of old cigarette smoke on jackets, furniture, literally everything.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

And everything must have smelt so bad.  I can't stand the scent of old cigarette smoke on jackets, furniture, literally everything.

I was a smoker from around 1991 - 2001...not super-heavy (about 3 - 4 packs per week), but more than enough.  When I finally quit for good (never went back, it's now been over 20 years since my last cig), the first thing I noticed is how all of my clothes than I hadn't washed yet smelled...and it's a smell now that makes me feel ill...hate it.  I look back on that time and think what the HELL was I thinking?!  Just a disgusting (and somewhat pricey) habit.  

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was a smoker from around 1991 - 2001...not super-heavy (about 3 - 4 packs per week), but more than enough.  When I finally quit for good (never went back, it's now been over 20 years since my last cig), the first thing I noticed is how all of my clothes than I hadn't washed yet smelled...and it's a smell now that makes me feel ill...hate it.  I look back on that time and think what the HELL was I thinking?!  Just a disgusting (and somewhat pricey) habit.  

It’s facts, all smokers stink and most of them are so used to it, they don’t realize it. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s facts, all smokers stink and most of them are so used to it, they don’t realize it. 

Yeah when I realized that's how I smelled to some people, it made me cringe.  Never again, heh heh.  

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah when I realized that's how I smelled to some people, it made me cringe.  Never again, heh heh.  

I never even tried it, not once. I have basically been grossed out by it my entire life, even though my parents quit in the early 80's. Still remember it though. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I never even tried it, not once. I have basically been grossed out by it my entire life, even though my parents quit in the early 80's. Still remember it though. 

Smoked for 15 years- quit back in 2010. Still miss it sometimes, but I’m never going back.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

STORY TIME:

The irony is that I grew up with smoking parents...and I HATED it as a kid.  They'd smoke in the car (at least they cracked the windows), they'd smoke after dinner...it bugged the sh!t outta me, to no end.  They actually quit for about a year, then we were all at a party (think I was 10 or 11), and I saw them smoking...I got the "It's just tonight, we're not starting again."  Within a month, they were buying by the carton.  And that would continue for another 10 years (more on this to come).

Once I could drive, occasionally my parents would ask me to buy them cigarettes...I would always refuse...the reason I gave (no joke) is that I didn't want to be an accessory to murder...that never went over well, but I never felt right about ever buying cigarettes for my parents, so I simply wouldn't.

I have no idea why I started...I didn't even like it at first, but for some reason in time it "took".  When I was 21, I traveled with my parents and cousin (she was 17 at the time) to see my brother, for Family Weekend...he was going to Ohio Wesleyan University.  At this point I'd been smoking for a few months, with my parents being unaware...a double whammy happened...first, after having a few drinks at my bro's fraternity cocktail party, I decided what the hell, there's my dad smoking over there, let me ask him for a smoke.  That went...poorly.  I proceeded to get a lecture, which at the time I thought was hilariously hypocritical...the guy who's set such a shining example is now going to get on my case?!  I simply walked away.

The next day, my cousin accidently blurted in front of my parents "I almost sat on your cigarettes, hope I didn't break any."  My dad didn't say anything, but my mother started to well up a little, and she looked crushed.  She didn't say anything to me about it until we got back, and after I had gone back to my own school (Montclair State)...she simply said "I'll make you a deal.  I'll quit if you do."  At that point, I figured one of us was quitting was better than none, so even though I had no intention of quitting, I wanted HER to stop...so yep, I lied.  A half hour later, my dad calls and throws a sh!tfit, asking me how I could be so stupid and blaming everyone else for me having taken up the habit...my roommate (a smoker), my girlfriend (also a smoker)...finally I said "Hey, maybe it's the house I grew up in for the past 21 years, you fvcking hypocrite!  But don't blame ANYONE, it's my fault, no one made me start." 

I asked if he knew about my "deal" with Mom, and he said that he did.  I asked him if he could follow her lead.  He said he didn't know.  I told him we had nothing more to say, and hung up on him.  My mother quit cold turkey, and my dad went on the nicotene patch (back then it was only available by prescription).  So far as I know, neither one of them ever smoked again...I never smelled it on them, not once.

I continued to smoke off and on (mostly on) until I was 30 going on 31...one day I went to a bar with a bud to watch a Mets game, and we drank like fish and smoked like chimneys...back then, booze and smokes were like milk and cookies to me, when I'd go out.  The next day I felt horrible...lots of hacking and coughing fits.  I actually lit up a cig, took a drag...and that was that...complete revulsion.  I immediately tossed the pack into the garbage and never smoked again.  For some reason the withdrawal wasn't as bad as it had been during other attempts...it was like my body said "Screw you, you're not doing this to me ANY MORE!"  

• Like 1

The best was going to Devils games at the Meadowlands back in the 80’s, when smoking was still allowed indoors on the concourse. Holy sh!t was it something to behold. You could probably see the cloud of smoke that would engulf that concourse from space; you could probably smell the smoke from space too. As a little kid attending games with my parents back in those days, I probably second hand smoked three packs every time I went to use the bathroom between periods 🤣

I smoked for 3-4 years. I had a pack a day habit, and realized I had to work hard to limit it to that. This was back i 1968- 1973. Half the people in the office I worked smoked. Anyway, I quit the day I got married, a present for my wife who actually hated the habit. I spent at least 6 months devouring TicTacs to suppress the urge to light up. It was years before the memory of the pleasure of a smoke with my morning coffee faded away. 

Glad I don't missit anymore.

• Like 3

Heh heh I remember lighting up in the concourse in the 90s.  Seems like a couple of lifetimes ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh I remember lighting up in the concourse in the 90s.  Seems like a couple of lifetimes ago.

This is what’s funny about Mad Men, you forget these days all of the places people were allowed to smoke, even as recently as the early 90’s. 

I was working at the local mall when the Clean Air Act went into effect and smoking was banned. It was a constant sh!t show, with the mall expecting teenagers to enforce it. I got into at least 3 fistfights for telling people they were not allowed to smoke in the store. 

• Shocking 1