GDT: 3/11/24 - Devils @ Rangers 7:00 pm NHLN/MSGSN/MSG

ButlerBulldog

7 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

Anyone that plays hockey, knows that in a game like that, Luke Hughes should of absolutely trucked Trocheck at the end of the game on that empty netter. Sure he would of got his as kicked by him, but if you are afraid to do that then you simply aren't cut out for pro hockey, at least not one that will do anything to win. And all I ever see is that we don't have any gamers. We have kids that are all about dangles and have ZERO clue how or what it takes to win a Cup. When your "star" player says people pay to watch me play and chokes on the biggest play of the season at that point tells me everything.  Going back to the Florida game last season where Nico hurt Barkov, that was a huge red flag. They chased poor Nico all over the rink taking shots at him and no one did a f-ing thing.  Can't win with the guys in the room  if they are scared, but even worse, can't win if they don't care.

IMHO, this roster construction is wrong in a few ways.

It's undersized with little heart and is fueled by the Hughes bothers led pond hockey style. ON D it continues with Marino an Bahl.  Bahl may be the biggest disappointment of that crew- what a waste of a body.   He could skate with eggs in shorts and not break any...If you go...but its the new NHL- skill, skill, skill....go look at teams that win or compete for the Cup- skill, yes, but they have some snarl, and size. Just go back to the 2nd round last year against the Canes....it was men vs boys...an overhaul is needed...Colin Miller was the closest thing that resembled a defensemen this season. 

Heart--who has heart on this team? Smith does, but unfortunately he has to be on the ice to use it...so nothing gained there for sure. Nico has heart and compete, not sure who else really has it. Haula maybe, sometime in spurts. Too many ghosts....Palat, that dude is invisible in all aspects of professional hockey. Why is he out there? Hamilton? Luke Hughes has Scott Stevens compete level compared to him. 0 heart, 0 defense. You can't have Hamilton, Hughes, Bahl, Marino, Nemec in the lineup on D. I mean, I think they could make a third line forward group of Bahl, L Hughes and Hamilton that would probably score as much as our 3rd line now. At least they wouldn't starting in our end. (I kid)  I won't even get into Siegenthaler, as he is soft too, but his main redeeming quality is that he probably helps Team Nico keep some balance in that room.

When we had to move on from the D corp we had last year, I knew it was gonna be rough, but  Fitz really finds himself with some real big holes in the lineup now. The plan to play 1984 Oilers hockey will not work.  Playing it with these players will not work. He needs to change the attitudes and tweak the style of play. If we role into next season the same way, fully expect the same results.  

I'd like to see Berube come into and get accountability. Luke Hughes ain't making those dogsh!t plays with him on the bench. The whole team attitude would change. Look what Torts did with the Flyers. 

Players??? Need someone like a Nick Foligno to come in and bring some leadership. He's tough nosed and would not let that room play the way they do. Someone would have been down on the ice from the drop off the puck last night. He's a gamer. Certainly good enough to play on team that has the likes of Bastian, Palat and Tierney. How about a Gudas type on defense? I thought they should have been all in on Tom Wilson. And yes, I know they would probably like a goalie. How you make all these changes necessary to reposition the team, well that is the GM's job not mine, but one thing is certain, if Fitz doesn't figure it out this summer, it won't be his beyond next season either.

IMG_2916.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

Anyone that plays hockey, knows that in a game like that, Luke Hughes should of absolutely trucked Trocheck at the end of the game on that empty netter. Sure he would of got his as kicked by him, but if you are afraid to do that then you simply aren't cut out for pro hockey, at least not one that will do anything to win. And all I ever see is that we don't have any gamers. We have kids that are all about dangles and have ZERO clue how or what it takes to win a Cup. When your "star" player says people pay to watch me play and chokes on the biggest play of the season at that point tells me everything.  Going back to the Florida game last season where Nico hurt Barkov, that was a huge red flag. They chased poor Nico all over the rink taking shots at him and no one did a f-ing thing.  Can't win with the guys in the room  if they are scared, but even worse, can't win if they don't care.

It's undersized with little heart and is fueled by the Hughes bothers led pond hockey style. On D it continues with Marino an Bahl.  Bahl may be the biggest disappointment of that crew- what a waste of a body.   He could skate with eggs in shorts and not break any...If you go...but its the new NHL- skill, skill, skill....go look at teams that win or compete for the Cup- skill, yes, but they have some snarl, and size. Just go back to the 2nd round last year against the Canes....it was men vs boys...an overhaul is needed...Colin Miller was the closest thing that resembled a defensemen this season. 

Heart--who has heart on this team? Smith does, but unfortunately he has to be on the ice to use it...so nothing gained there for sure. Nico has heart and compete, not sure who else really has it. Haula maybe, sometime in spurts. Too many ghosts....Palat, that dude is invisible in all aspects of professional hockey. Why is he out there? Hamilton? Luke Hughes has Scott Stevens compete level compared to him. 0 heart, 0 defense. You can't have Hamilton, Hughes, Bahl, Marino, Nemec in the lineup on D. I mean, I think they could make a third line forward group of Bahl, L Hughes and Hamilton that would probably score as much as our 3rd line now. At least they wouldn't starting in our end. (I kid)  I won't even get into Siegenthaler, as he is soft too, but his main redeeming quality is that he probably helps Team Nico keep some balance in that room.

When we had to move on from the D corp we had last year, I knew it was gonna be rough, but  Fitz really finds himself with some real big holes in the lineup now. The plan to play 1984 Oilers hockey will not work.  Playing it with these players will not work. He needs to change the attitudes and tweak the style of play. If we roll into next season the same way, fully expect the same results.  

I'd like to see Berube come into and get accountability. Luke Hughes ain't making those dogsh!t plays with him on the bench. The whole team attitude would change. Look what Torts did with the Flyers. 

Players??? Need someone like a Nick Foligno to come in and bring some leadership. He's tough nosed and would not let that room play the way they do. Someone would have been down on the ice from the drop off the puck last night. He's a gamer. Certainly good enough to play on team that has the likes of Bastian, Palat and Tierney. How about a Gudas type on defense? I thought they should have been all in on Tom Wilson. And yes, I know they would probably like a goalie. How you make all these changes necessary to reposition the team, well that is the GM's job not mine, but one thing is certain, if Fitz doesn't figure it out this summer, it won't be his beyond next season either.

Based on what we’ve seen from him thus far, Nemec appears to have heart as well.  While he’s not a physical player, he clearly understands the importance of effective defense and has worked hard to improve his play in the Devils’ zone while, at the other end of the ice, showing signs of the playmaker and shooter he’s expected to become.  The Niedermayer is strong with him, and the right coach should be able to sprinkle in enough Stevens that he won’t be pushed around by opposing forwards, even in cases where he’s conceding size.  That Nemo’s clearly an intelligent player will help him deduce when and when not to weaponize his physicality.

Otherwise, I completely agree with everything you said and am disappointed at the overly soft makeup of the current roster and coaching staff, and I hope that as Fitz reviews his options for coaching hires this summer, toughness remains foremost in his mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hystyk28 said:

It's undersized with little heart and is fueled by the Hughes bothers led pond hockey style. On D it continues with Marino an Bahl.  Bahl may be the biggest disappointment of that crew- what a waste of a body.   He could skate with eggs in shorts and not break any...If you go...but its the new NHL- skill, skill, skill....go look at teams that win or compete for the Cup- skill, yes, but they have some snarl, and size. Just go back to the 2nd round last year against the Canes....it was men vs boys...an overhaul is needed...Colin Miller was the closest thing that resembled a defensemen this season. 

When we had to move on from the D corp we had last year, I knew it was gonna be rough, but  Fitz really finds himself with some real big holes in the lineup now. The plan to play 1984 Oilers hockey will not work.  Playing it with these players will not work. He needs to change the attitudes and tweak the style of play. If we roll into next season the same way, fully expect the same results.  

Some of the hate for certain guys is a bit over the top, and one thing I'll never get is "should of" or "would of" (it's should've, as in should have, and would've, as in would have - yes, I know, grammar police, but I really hate that sh!t, just peeves me), but yes, we know that they need to tweak the roster to be more balanced, especially from a physical aspect.

You can't get on them for not "being all in" on Tom Wilson because Washington basically lost their minds and decided to sign him for 7 more years at a $6.5 million AAV hit, that doesn't even kick in until next season...he's never really been made available.  But I hear you, in that yes, someone like that is what the Devils need, can't dispute that.

Fitz won't be able to fill in ALL of the blanks at once, but the right coach, the right goalie, and adding at least one physical piece to the team this summer will be a hell of a start.

Oh, and a coach that preaches accountability ACROSS THE BOARD PLEASE.  Not one set of rules for Holtz and an entirely different one for Smith.  That sh!t was absurd...anyone who's watched Smith play since he's been here knows that he fvcks up constantly, be it from taking awful penalties, or just doing really stupid sh!t on the ice.  Guy was damned near given "white knight" treatment this season and never once did that make any fvcking sense.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Based on what we’ve seen from him thus far, Nemec appears to have heart as well.  While he’s not a physical player, he clearly understands the importance of effective defense and has worked hard to improve his play in the Devils’ zone while, at the other end of the ice, showing signs of the playmaker and shooter he’s expected to become.  The Niedermayer is strong with him, and the right coach should be able to sprinkle in enough Stevens that he won’t be pushed around by opposing forwards, even in cases where he’s conceding size.  That Nemo’s clearly an intelligent player will help him deduce when and when not to weaponize his physicality.

Otherwise, I completely agree with everything you said and am disappointed at the overly soft makeup of the current roster and coaching staff, and I hope that as Fitz reviews his options for coaching hires this summer, toughness remains foremost in his mind.

Yeah Nemec is beyond fine...I was just saying you can't have him in the lineup AND with the likes of Bahl, Marino, Hughes and Hamilton. Let's not forget Seamus Casey in the wings...same type of D.

I think more of Rafalski than Nieds with Nemec, as Nieds was another level. But yeah, I have way more hope for Nemec than Hughes being rock solid back there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Some of the hate for certain guys is a bit over the top, and one thing I'll never get is "should of" or "would of" (it's should've, as in should have, and would've, as in would have - yes, I know, grammar police, but I really hate that sh!t, just peeves me), but yes, we know that they need to tweak the roster to be more balanced, especially from a physical aspect.

You can't get on them for not "being all in" on Tom Wilson because Washington basically lost their minds and decided to sign him for 7 more years at a $6.5 million AAV hit...he's never really been made available.  But I hear you, in that yes, someone like that is what the Devils need, can't dispute that.

Fitz won't be able to fill in ALL of the blanks at once, but the right coach, the right goalie, and adding at least one physical piece to the team this summer will be a hell of a start.

There’s definitely a palpable anti-Hughes vibe among some posters, and although I understand the frustration over Luke’s recent struggles, I’m perplexed by the vitriol aimed at Jack.  Yes, his maturity and emotional outbursts are concerning—I’ve said as much in a handful of my own posts recently—but the idea that he’s not a competitor is one I won’t endorse.  He clearly wants to win and is frustrated both by his own inconsistency and by the team’s collective ineptitude in almost every facet of the game.  I just wish he wouldn’t let on to other teams that he’s frustrated, as that only encourages them to mess with his head more, not less.

After last night’s game, I’d swap Luke and Nemec on the power play to give the latter more time with the first unit, as Luke seems to be in his own head, and Nemec is one of the few Devils willing to shoot—although he too made at least one unnecessary pass when he had a clear look at the net.  I don’t know how much difference it will make, as Green has fvcked up the power play beyond repair, but if by chance the new combination shows signs of life, it at least gives us something to look forward to next season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

Yeah Nemec is beyond fine...I was just saying you can't have him in the lineup AND with the likes of Bahl, Marino, Hughes and Hamilton. Let's not forget Seamus Casey in the wings...same type of D.

I think more of Rafalski than Nieds with Nemec, as Nieds was another level. But yeah, I have way more hope for Nemec than Hughes being rock solid back there.

There are definitely elements of Rafalski present, but I also see the two-way playmaker that Nieds was whenever Nemec has a chance to handle and pass the puck.  The latter comparison may be somewhat unfair to Simon, but if he’s even half the player Niedermayer was, he’ll be something special.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hystyk28 said:

Hey Fitzy, how about this guy...you missed him once...

Many great points. 

I just hope that Luke doesn't coast, knowing that he's protected by his older brother and will be held by a different standard than everyone else. As for Jack, it's great to be the face of the franchise but you need to be a leader who holds everyone accountable. I'm not sure if Nico does that as Captain, but if Jack is the de-facto leader of this team then he needs to act like one. We don't just need a showman who puts up great stats and has jaw dropping goals, we need a skilled leader in that locker room who can do it all and who keeps everyone in line. As much as I don't want to mention his name, we need Jack to become our "Mark Messier". 

I really hope a guy like Berube can come in here and show these guys how it's done. No more of this double standard bullsh!t that happened under Lindy. If Fitz goes out and gets a "player's coach", then it's over. 

Like you mentioned, this new coach will have to reassemble the D. This team needs toughness, physicality, and sound defense. I realize it won't happen overnight but it needs to happen. Carolina ragdolled them in the playoffs last year. Outside of Smith and MacDermid, and to a lesser extent Meier, there's no one on this team with any balls and physicality. That has to change. As others have mentioned also, we need a physical presence who can fight, to prevent teams from running at our stars. That is why MacD has to be brought back. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

There are definitely elements of Rafalski present, but I also see the two-way playmaker that Nieds was whenever Nemec has a chance to handle and pass the puck.  The latter comparison may be somewhat unfair to Simon, but if he’s even half the player Niedermayer was, he’ll be something special.

Agreed. I think he does lie in between the 2, but Rafalski generated a ton of offense. Of course, kind of following my theme in the previous post he had rock steady D men as partners, which the Devils are 100% devoid of having in the lineup.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Many great points. 

I just hope that Luke doesn't coast, knowing that he's protected by his older brother and will be held by a different standard than everyone else.

Too late, right? It was already more than prevalent this season. Quite honestly, it started the second we drafted him.(not saying they shouldn't have)  I believe that Green even said in his presser, when alluding to Holtz that some players would never sit...I took that as 43 Hughes since the entire Devil's fan base seems to be singing that song. 

32 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

There’s definitely a palpable anti-Hughes vibe among some posters, and although I understand the frustration over Luke’s recent struggles, I’m perplexed by the vitriol aimed at Jack.  Yes, his maturity and emotional outbursts are concerning—I’ve said as much in a handful of my own posts recently—but the idea that he’s not a competitor is one I won’t endorse.  He clearly wants to win and is frustrated both by his own inconsistency and by the team’s collective ineptitude in almost every facet of the game.  I just wish he wouldn’t let on to other teams that he’s frustrated, as that only encourages them to mess with his head more, not less.

Of course he has compete- but is he competing for himself? Or is he competing for the team? He will have to prove to me it's the latter.  1 minute to go in a tie game Game 7, last man with the puck coming out of the zone... what do you see going through your mind...I know what it looks like if it was Datsyuk or Crosby...I also know what it looks with Jack. He needs modify his play so that I won't envision that poor decision in my mind.  That is the difference to me between playing for himself or the team. His compete to go by that forechecker is there though...he wants to walk that player for sure, plenty of compete...motivation is wrong.  I have seen it at every level of hockey i have been involved in. I am sure he was like that 8, he will most likely be that way at 28, unless someone helps teach him....think Steve Yzerman's journey to a Cup winner.

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Coming for guys like Jack and Dougie (when he’s not even playing) is some dirty work. 

I know we’re down bad right now, but damn. 

Come at??? it's a discussion...and trust me my words for Hamilton are the same they were from day 1 of the signing. BUT, his signing AND Palat's started to turn this organization's turn around.  Big turning point for sure. We were on a very large chunk of no-trade lists around the league. This began a change in that regard. 

2 hours ago, hystyk28 said:

When your "star" player says people pay to watch me play and chokes on the biggest play of the season at that point tells me everything. 

I don't disagree with a lot of your post but I've been seeing way too many people take this out of context lately, he was telling the other guy who was trying to hurt him with a cheap shot elbow are you here to play hockey or hurt people and people pay to see me play not see me get hurt by a cheap shot elbow. 

I do think he's nursing an injury still and that's why he hasn't looked great. 

I'm with you about last night but I'm a nut though and I would have jumped the bench and taken somebody out so I do find it disappointing that I'm more willing to do that than anyone on the team lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Coming for guys like Jack and Dougie (when he’s not even playing) is some dirty work. 

I know we’re down bad right now, but damn. 

Not coming for Jack, just want to see him grow as a leader for this team. Criticizing parts of his game that we'd like to see improve, to make him even better than he already is, isn't a bad thing. I hope the next coach pushes everyone on this roster to become better. And I hope they hold ALL players accountable without the celebrity double standards. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

Agreed. I think he does lie in between the 2, but Rafalski generated a ton of offense. Of course, kind of following my theme in the previous post he had rock steady D men as partners, which the Devils are 100% devoid of having in the lineup.

I think Nemec will show more offensive capability as the defense around him is revamped and, as I suggested, he has a chance to play alongside the Devils’ top forwards.

15 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

Of course he has compete- but is he competing for himself? Or is he competing for the team? He will have to prove to me it's the latter.  1 minute to go in a tie game Game 7, last man with the puck coming out of the zone... what do you see going through your mind...I know what it looks like if it was Datsyuk or Crosby...I also know what it looks with Jack. He needs modify his play so that I won't envision that poor decision in my mind.  That is the difference to me between playing for himself or the team. His compete to go by that forechecker is there though...he wants to walk that player for sure, plenty of compete...motivation is wrong.  I have seen it at every level of hockey i have been involved in. I am sure he was like that 8, he will most likely be that way at 28, unless someone helps teach him....think Steve Yzerman's journey to a Cup winner.

I don’t see Jack’s recent miscues as a sign he’s playing for himself as opposed to the team.  Rather, I think they reflect that he’s trying to do too much in an effort to lift the team out of its funk.  Were the team playing better, he’d likely be taking fewer chances and playing more under control.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Not coming for Jack, just want to see him grow as a leader for this team. Criticizing parts of his game that we'd like to see improve, to make him even better than he already is, isn't a bad thing. I hope the next coach pushes everyone on this roster to become better. And I hope they hold ALL players accountable without the celebrity double standards. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

I have some loose connections to multiple NHL teams...it is becoming normal to cater to stars. This is happening in juniors to the show....it is what these players know. Very few coaches exist now that are confident in being able to get or keep their job by going "old school" if you will. 

2 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

I have some loose connections to multiple NHL teams...it is becoming normal to cater to stars. This is happening in juniors to the show....it is what these players know. Very few coaches exist now that are confident in being able to get or keep their job by going "old school" if you will. 

Which is why it’s all the more important Fitz not only hires a coach who brings toughness but also makes it clear to the players that said coach has his complete support with respect to how he runs his team and communicates with players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Yes, his maturity and emotional outbursts are concerning

I don't think they are that bad. He's a professional athlete and he wants to win. He should tone it down a little to avoid getting a rep as a salty boy but I am happy he gives a sh!t.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think they are that bad. He's a professional athlete and he wants to win. He should tone it down a little to avoid getting a rep as a salty boy but I am happy he gives a sh!t.

I’m not questioning his competitive spirit.  My issue is more that if opposing teams notice they’re frustrating Jack, they’ll continue doing things to exacerbate the situation.

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Good. He’ll miss 16 minutes of ice time total and there will probably be 2-3 less concussions this week. 

I don't think it's going to sink in with this kid unless he gets pummeled by another enforcer, and it happens more than once. He probably relishes in the fact that he's getting suspensions, thinking it adds to his reputation. And Rangers fans seem to love it also. 

I saw a video about Tie Domi where Messier pulled him aside during his rookie year after Tie was showboating after fights, and he told him, "to cut the sh!t". Messier said "if you don't treat other players with respect, no one in this league is ever going to respect you." Whether the advice sunk in or not is up for debate but that's the type of talk Rempe needs. No one on that team is going to give it to him though because they love the spectacle it's creating, including the head coach. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

I don't think it's going to sink in with this kid unless he gets pummeled by another enforcer, and it happens more than once. He probably relishes in the fact that he's getting suspensions, thinking it adds to his reputation. And Rangers fans seem to love it also. 

I saw a video about Tie Domi where Messier pulled him aside during his rookie year after Tie was showboating after fights, and he told him, "to cut the sh!t". Messier said "if you don't treat other players with respect, no one in this league is ever going to respect you." Whether the advice sunk in or not is up for debate but that's the type of talk Rempe needs. No one on that team is going to give it to him though because they love the spectacle it's creating, including the head coach. 

It’ll make their second round exit even funnier, particularly when that idiot beanpole doesn’t play a shift in the playoffs.

• Like 3