2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was perusing HF for the first time in ages and it seems a bunch of folks over there aren’t really digging Berube. They seem to think he stifled offensive creativity in St. Louis and are afraid he’ll do the same here. I don’t agree. 

I don’t either, as I think he’s smart enough to hire a PP coach who knows what he’s doing and to play Jack and Nico with wings who compliment them.  Besides, I don’t see offense as this team’s major problem, the recent, weird PP droughts notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ceiling in pay or in opportunity? I am surprised we would outbid MLSE.

I think ‘ceiling’ means our roster. Best opportunity.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I wouldn't hate Berube, but I think I'd rather have someone else. What are Beaudreau and Gallant doing?

Hopefully not interviewing with the Devils. Boudreau is a notorious playoff choker, and Gallant has been run out of town everywhere he’s been. When they fired him in Florida they literally refused to even let him on the team bus and made him take a cab to the airport they were so done with him. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, njbuff said:

Hypothetic.

Assuming the Devils stay at 10, would you trade the 10th pick in the 2024 draft to Nashville for top prospect G Yaroslav Askarov?

Without a doubt, but that’s not getting it done by itself. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Hypothetic.

Assuming the Devils stay at 10, would you trade the 10th pick in the 2024 draft to Nashville for top prospect G Yaroslav Askarov?

Absolutely, but as @2ELIAS6 pointed out, they’ll have to package that pick with a prospect (e.g., Casey) plus at least one proven NHL’er (e.g., Mercer) to get a deal done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Absolutely, but as @2ELIAS6 pointed out, they’ll have to package that pick with a prospect (e.g., Casey) plus at least one proven NHL’er (e.g., Mercer) to get a deal done.

With how volatile and unpredictable the goaltending position has become the last decade, I wouldn't give up a top 10 pick plus a top D prospect and a proven young forward for what "could be" a top goalie in the future.  Obviously teams aren't trading the Vasi's and Shesterkin's of the league, but there's only a select few proven goaltenders that I'd be willing to give up a substantial amount for.  Anything else seems like a crapshoot.  Almost better off going with a guy like Allen, if you ask me. What more could that guy have done in the 20 or so games he was here?  If we can't find a goalie at a reasonable price, give him an opportunity next year to see what he can do, and maybe we use a second or third round pick of our own on  a goalie this year or next year and hope to get lucky. 

• Like 2

Allen can’t handle a starter’s workload at his age. They would basically be conceding another year if they go into next season with that as their plan. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Allen can’t handle a starter’s workload at his age. They would basically be conceding another year if they go into next season with that as their plan. 

I don't know that there is such thing as a "starter's workload" anymore.  50 games for Allen, 32 for John Doe (Kahkonen, Dawson, Schmid, etc).  That's what basically every other team in the league does, except for a handful. 

If Allen can't handle 50 games, he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL period.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't know that there is such thing as a "starter's workload" anymore.  50 games for Allen, 32 for John Doe (Kahkonen, Dawson, Schmid, etc).  That's what basically every other team in the league does, except for a handful. 

If Allen can't handle 50 games, he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL period.

Re:  Allen, he’s here as the vet backup.  C’mon, every NHL goalie should be able to start 50 games or they’re not NHL-worthy?  There’s plenty of room in the NHL for solid backups who are expected to start 20-30 games in any given season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Allen, he’s here as the vet backup.  C’mon, every NHL goalie should be able to start 50 games or they’re not NHL-worthy?  There’s plenty of room in the NHL for solid backups who are expected to start 20-30 games in any given season.

Of course.  I didn't mean that as literally as it sounds - the point was more a reflection of Allen's skills/ability than the quantity of games.  He's only played 492 games his whole career, so it's not like the guy has a ton of mileage on him.  

I think we would all love it if Allen was solely here to play the role of vet backup, myself included, but I don't think we're in a position to say that until we have what we know to be a bonafide, younger guy who is capable of taking over as number one. And, going back to the last couple of messages, I personally wouldn't be willing to part with a lot of proven assets for the sake of trying to hit lightning in a bottle and hoping a young prospect goalie actually pans out. Unless that guy is considered a can't miss, world class goalie (full transparency, I don't know enough about Askarov to know if that's the sentiment on him). 

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

What would Ullmark cost?

Good question.  Does our 10th pick and Holtz do it?  That's basically two first round picks.  I'd be ok with that. 

I don't love that Ullmark is going to be 31 this summer, but we could realistically get a good 5 years out of him while continuing to look for another younger guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Of course.  I didn't mean that as literally as it sounds - the point was more a reflection of Allen's skills/ability than the quantity of games.  He's only played 492 games his whole career, so it's not like the guy has a ton of mileage on him.  

I think we would all love it if Allen was solely here to play the role of vet backup, myself included, but I don't think we're in a position to say that until we have what we know to be a bonafide, younger guy who is capable of taking over as number one. And, going back to the last couple of messages, I personally wouldn't be willing to part with a lot of proven assets for the sake of trying to hit lightning in a bottle and hoping a young prospect goalie actually pans out. Unless that guy is considered a can't miss, world class goalie (full transparency, I don't know enough about Askarov to know if that's the sentiment on him). 

Yeah we gotta see what Fitz is able to land.  He’s talked the “big fish” talk, now we’ll see where that leads.  But I don’t think Fitz envisions Allen as his #1.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Hypothetic.

Yes I would 

• Like 1