Jets-Steelers game

NJDevs4978

Damn, well that wasn't the same old Jets but it was sure the same old Jets bad luck :P Or bad management, depending on how you look at the end-of-the-game FG. Brien chunked a 42-yarder and he should make that but still I was LIVID at Herm for leaving it on the left hash. Especially after Marty left the ball on the right hash last week and the kid missed a 40-yarder. Doesn't it ever occur to these coaches that it's EASIER to make a FG from the MIDDLE of the freaking field?!?! Ugh. And just missing the 46-yarder hurt. Even the end of the half I was livid when Moss didn't get out of bounds and made the Jets use their last timeout or they would have had a makeable FG there :rant:

But the offense couldn't score all season against the big teams (6 and 3 points against the Steelers, 7 and 8 points against the Pats), so the offense really didn't deserve to win. I do have to give the Jets props as a whole though, they showed their mettle battling through three straight OT games and taking a 15-1 team down to the wire. At 17-10 in the fourth quarter I started thinking this could be a magical run. Wasn't meant to be I guess.

Hats off to Cowher for his tip of the cap to the Jets after the game.

And I have to admit it is kinda fun watching Bettis run though it's not much fun when he's running over your team :)

A great season for the Jets. I feel we will really be ready for next year to make a solid run. I think we have one of the best young defenses in the league. Once Mr Ahraham jets the Jets we should have three first round picks. At the draft I hope we get a WR, CB and a SS. Strait should develop better next year at FS. We may even be better off getting a better RG. I don't really like Moore.

Observations:

(1) They say that win or lose, Vanderjagt is out of Indy. For one, his salary is too high for a kicker, especially for a team that doesn't need field goals that often. For two, he tends to have Holik-itis when it comes to his mouth. But if the Colts don't want him back, I think he will be much covetted. These playoffs have shown how important the field goal kicker is to most teams.

(2) Did the Jets not learn from the Chargers mistake last week? Once they got into 40-yard field goal range, they started running LOW RISK, LOW GAIN plays. They played NOT TO LOSE. It cost San Diego their game last week, and I think it cost the Jets this week. Forty yard kicks are not gimmees. You can't just start playing it safe when you at the 40 yard range.

what really hurts is no hockey to fall back on

jets had there chances, but they also got some huge special teams and defensive breaks. you normally don't get those kinds of turnovers.

still, the offense couldn't seal the deal, inside pittsburgh territory they couldn't move the ball or get into decent FG range. You have to do better than 40+ yards both times.

still, I think brien should've drilled at least one of them. He's become awfully erratic in the last couple of weeks. We were very lucky to win in SD and lucky to be in this game since our D couldn't stop the run.

And BTW as for Mr. Hackett, our wonderful offense put up 24 points in four games against the Steelers and Patriots (eight of those on a gimme TD late against the Patriots in NY) and 43 points in the final four games of the season. If that 3rd and 10 TWO YARD OUT wasn't a perfect microcosm of Hackett's entire professional career I don't know what is.

7, you're right about Brien he has been surprisingly erratic these couple weeks. Still I wouldn't dump him...he's a fairly reliable kicker otherwise and I'd prefer that than being one of the ten-twelve teams that go through kickers like tissues every year. Besides s*it happens, Hall misses a 35-yarder one year and almost gets cut, the next year he makes a 53-yarder and gets a million dollar deal.

And BTW as for Mr. Hackett, our wonderful offense put up 24 points in four games against the Steelers and Patriots (eight of those on a gimme TD late against the Patriots in NY) and 43 points in the final four games of the season.  If that 3rd and 10 TWO YARD OUT wasn't a perfect microcosm of Hackett's entire professional career I don't know what is.

7, you're right about Brien he has been surprisingly erratic these couple weeks.  Still I wouldn't dump him...he's a fairly reliable kicker otherwise and I'd prefer that than being one of the ten-twelve teams that go through kickers like tissues every year.  Besides s*it happens, Hall misses a 35-yarder one year and almost gets cut, the next year he makes a 53-yarder and gets a million dollar deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not beleive that play, actually i could I called it...

Brien should be gone, he was brutal the last few weeks, besides kickers are a dime a dozen.

BTW, Penn did not have a good night, he cannot throw the lng ball for his life, and he was not at is best the rest of the day, totaly missed moss laate on a third down, if Penn is going to lead the jets tot he SB they need to get him a big receives, otherwise he has no long game.

what a frustrating game...

I picked the Steelers to win but Jets to cover :clap:

as for the game.. I've NEVER seen a team get TWO game winning field goal chances in the last 2:00 and miss them both... real bonehead plays most of the game by both offenses but a GREAT game to enjoy with no rooting interest... sucked all the fun of what looked like a crazy Rams-Falcons game...

just hoping the main event game tomorrow is still good after my sister's baby shower !

well I did have fun yelling LACES OUT LACES OUT at the "Jets fans" in Sun Tavern (I call them that lightly since Sun Tavern ain't seen that much green since St. Pat's Day and the only loyal people in there were the row of Steelers girls, which was laughable to hear Jet fans that couldn't game 4 players call them bandwagon people :rolleyes:

as for Hackett.. he called an OKAY game till it mattered... I'd fire him personally, but I don't count none and know it :)

Curtis Martin is overrated, that's part of the problem. The Jets are a running offense and Martin cannot run against those teams. All the talk about how great he is, he's just not a big difference-maker in a game like this. The Jets offense does well against teams it should and struggles against teams it should. It's simply not a very good offense. Chad Pennington is also overrated, he is a solid QB who makes good decisions but he is not a star.

Doug Brien had two shots but Heinz Field is notorious for giving kickers trouble. Edwards should have been less conservative when they got into field goal range.

The Steelers gave the Jets every chance to win this game.

I watched the game over in Old Bridge at a friend's house. His cousin was a diehard fan and he was pretty devastated. I felt bad for him. That was a tough way to lose.

And Crasher, Clown was in attendance for this :doh1:. So, you can guess who he was rooting for. It was kind of funny that when the Jets cameback to take the lead, Clown said, "This game's over." He was ripping Cowher. LOL

Back to the game:

1.The Jets deserved to win today. They were better than Pittsburgh and had so many opportunities to seal it.

2.Roethlisberger is Overratedberger. I've been saying it for a while. Yes, he has poise and can make the throws. But he isn't asked to do a lot. And today he made some awful throws and still came out a winner.

3.Turnovers. The Jets got 3 turnovers while the Steelers got 1. When that happens, that's usually an indication that the Jets should have won. Their offense just couldn't get it done.

4.The end of game shenanigans. Jets fans, you have seen it all year and in the past with Edwards. They had the ball at the 26 and all of a sudden, let bundles of time go off before running 2nd down. What a joke that was! They had to hurry that play and it went nowhere. I honestly think that played right into Pitt's hands. They should have learned from San Diego last week. Proof that they had their heads up their asses.

5.Doug Brien's two missed kicks. Alright, the first one was from 47. So, we'll give him a pass. Plus it clanged off the crossbar. That was heartbreaking. I even said to Clown that the Jets were done when that happened cause I fully expected Roethlisberger to bring Pitt downfield and into range. But Ben through a horrible ball that got picked. At that point, the Jets had to win it then. When I saw where they lined up for Brien's second kick, I said, he was going to miss to the left. I felt bad for him. What was the point of that stupid Pennington sneak that made the spot worse?

6.Anthony Becht's holding call in sudden death. Say whatever you want about the Hackett 3rd and 10 call but if not for Becht's boneheaded penalty, the Jets are close to midfield and almost in range. That penalty was very costly.

7.Key 3rd and 5 pass by Pennington with Jets up seven dropped by Moss. The throw was a little behind him but he still should have had it. I thought that was a huge turning point because if he catches it, the Jets move the markers and maybe ice the game. Instead, it gave the Steelers another life. You can only give a good team so many chances before they burn you.

8.On Hackett, he called a decent game. He certainly mixed it up well. The Steelers secondary was having problems. Was he too conservative at the end? Probably. But at that point, the coach has to step up and do what it takes to win. That's where Edwards' coaching comes into question. For as bad as the 3rd down call was, I think the play before they tried a deep ball to McCareins. But Pennington overthrew him. There was also a great throw by Pennington in play action to Moss earlier in the game, similar to last week's TD. But he didn't retrieve it in. The defender might have gotten a hand in there. But still, Moss probably should have had it.

Other than these thoughts, it's hard to believe the Steelers won. They are the luckiest and most overrated 15-1 team I've ever watched. The Giants got screwed over against them last month and the Jets should have won.

The Jets did move the ball in this game. They just weren't able to get the points.

Overall, a very weird game. Kind of fitting of the Jets.

I tip my cap to them for how they played. But in the end, I felt their D got worn down big time in the 2nd half. You have to remember Pitt turned it over twice on long drives. So the Jets D was out on the field a lot while the offense wasn't. And when they were, they went 3 and out. Definitely a big reason the Jets fell short.

Excellent game. Better luck next year.

On Roethlisberger: I don't think he's a superstar QB, but I don't think Tom Brady is either, and he and Favre are the only starters with Super Bowl rings this season. It's strange how things work like that in the NFL. The superstar QBs have been held ringless. I'd be shocked if he's able to win the title game, regardless of who it is against, but they still have Burress and Ward as receivers and two excellent running backs.

On Roethlisberger:  I don't think he's a superstar QB, but I don't think Tom Brady is either, and he and Favre are the only starters with Super Bowl rings this season.  It's strange how things work like that in the NFL.  The superstar QBs have been held ringless.  I'd be shocked if he's able to win the title game, regardless of who it is against, but they still have Burress and Ward as receivers and two excellent running backs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pennington is better then Roethlisberger. You place him in the Steeler offense and he would win them championships. You say Pennington isn't a star because he doesn't dominate games. Their offensive skeme doesn't allow him to dominate. The first three quarters he was throwing the ball then they stoped for some reason along with the jets offense. I don't think the Jets offensive line is good enough to win a championship. The Steelers give Roethlisberger time in the pocket when Chad was pressured all game. The Steelers line opens holes for the rushing game where Martin seems to be running into a wall every time. This may be another area Jets could use a 1st round pick on.

Derek,

Hope you don't mind a relative stranger replying, but...

1. Actually, the Steelers just took advantage of opportunities better than the Jets did at the end. Remember, the Steelers started their winning drive deep in their own territory.

Were the Chargers a better team than the Jets last week, by the same reasoning?

2. It's hard to claim that someone who is 14-0 as a starter is overrated and not have it sound like sour grapes. Just remember that the only horrible game he had before tonight was against the Jets a month ago. The Jets have his number this year, yet the Steelers still managed to win both times.

4. No argument here. You'd think the Jets would have learned from watching Marty S. make the same mistake last week.

5. I've been watching Steeler games a long time (been a fan since the early 70's, guess I've always had a thing for defensive teams) and I can tell you that Heinz field gives opposing kickers fits. i've seen better kickers miss there in the past. Still, an NFL kicker should have made at least one of those kicks.

6. I think that the playcalling on the 3rd and 10 in OT was far more costly.

They may be a lucky team, but when you're good you tend to make your own luck. I guess we'll see how overrated they are after the next few weeks.

7.Key 3rd and 5 pass by Pennington with Jets up seven dropped by Moss. The throw was a little behind him but he still should have had it. I thought that was a huge turning point because if he catches it, the Jets move the markers and maybe ice the game. Instead, it gave the Steelers another life. You can only give a good team so many chances before they burn you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I blame Chad for that one, it was a short pass AND a bullet that was thrown behind Moss. He also threw a Neil O'Donnell-like INT when he tossed a baloon into Polamalu's chest :P Not a good game for him. He can't whine this year if (when :pray: Hackett gets fired).

One I DO blame on Moss was the play at the end of the first half where he, for reasons known only to him, turned inbounds for no gain instead of scooting out of bounds and saving the Jets' last timeout. As it turned out, that cost them a shot at a FG there, which would have changed the game dramatically.

Not to rag on you, but that's easy for you to say, your team came within a hair of winning the SB LAST year, our team hasn't even been there for 35 years, and this is the kind of stuff that always happens to the Jets.

To wit (and the '80's were pretty much before my time but I know those secondhand):

'81 - In a wild card game against the Bills, the Jets fall behind 24-0 at home, stage a rousing comeback, get to within 31-27 and have the ball on the two-yard line. Then Richard Todd throws an INT in the endzone, game over.

'82 - In the strike year, Jets go 6-3, win two road playoff games, then the rain pours in South Florida before the AFC Championship game and the tarp 'mysteriously' goes missing. Miami neutralizes our high-powered attack, intercepting Todd five times in a 14-0 loss.

'86 - When they blew a ten point lead in Cleveland with FOUR minutes left after that idiot Gastineau had the most mindless roughing the passer penalty this side of Eric Barton and wound up losing 23-20 in double OT.

'93 where the Jets were 8-5, all they needed was one win to make the playoffs and they lost all three games including a 16-14 game in Buffalo where Cary Blanchard missed three FG's (and Buffalo's kicker Christie MADE all three of his on a windy day)

'94 where the Jets were 6-5, had a 24-6 lead over Miami, a game which if they'd won would have put them in a tie for the division lead, but they crapped out, lost 28-24 and lost the final five games of the season, which started the infamous 4-33 run better known as the Kotite error.

'97 where Parcells took the team from 1-15 to 9-7 and on the brink of the playoffs, they had a 10-0 lead in the final game of the season but Parcells (shades of Hackett this year with Lamont Jordan) calls a stupid halfback option with Leon Johnson, he gets intercepted. Parcells also had Ray Lucas, who'd never thrown a pass in a pro game in his life up to that point throw a crucial INT, and the Jets lost 13-10.

'98 where the Jets have a dream season, go 12-4, win the division, win a playoff game (at home, no less!) and find themselves with a 10-0 lead in the AFC Championship game in the third quarter before the one thing that doesn't happen with Parcells teams happens - SIX turnovers, including fumbles by guys who don't fumble (Curtis, Keith Byars, etc) and the Jets lose that game 23-10.

'99 where the Jets were prohibitive SB favorites before the season, then in the first half of the first game, Vinny (who had a Hall Of Fame year the previous year and almost never gets hurt) tears his achilles tendon on a non-contact play, and with that pop went the Jets' SB hopes, as they started 1-6 and had to rally to finish 8-8.

'00 where the Jets started 9-4 and again as in '93 lost their last three games to crap out of the playoffs, including yet another kicker debacle with John Hall missing a 35-yarder that would have sent a game against lowly Detroit into OT.

And of course this year :P