Home Town Bias?

Nieuwy25

Found this interesting. From foxsports.com:

It was a tough week for Detroit in the quotes department. After the New Jersey Devils lost a game in Joe Louis Arena in overtime after they appeared to score the game- winning goal coach Pat Burns said: "Strange things happen in hockey town."

Burns was being careful to avoid a fine, but he was strongly implying that the video-replay judge just might have been looking for a reason to disallow his team's apparent game-winning goal in the extra session (he claimed it was kicked into the Detroit net.). Lots of clubs complain privately about certain things in certain arenas. In Detroit, it's video replay. In Boston, it's the shot-count. The NHL tries to have a supervisor at each game, but when it doesn't, certain roles are staffed by home-town officials.

That's kind of BS.

I mean, wow. That's REALLY BS.

I know the call was questionable (I personally think the movement in his foot was the puck striking the blade and not him kicking it), but if a Detroit homer is making the call, that's like having Chico officiate the Devils' games.

Did anyone notice last night how Chico made a point of saying that he prides himself on not being a homer?

Anyone think he reads this board? :lol:

I think the instigator was very iffy. Its not as if he just jumped Roenick(which is pretty much the only thing ive seen an instigator given for). He skated up, had a few words with him, and they went, how is that instigating? I really hate that Buttmuch(aka Bettman) is trying to wussify the NHL

Did anyone notice last night how Chico made a point of saying that he prides himself on not being a homer?

I was going to mention that. I saw part of the game during lunch today (FSNY plays the unscrambled replay then). Chico not a homer :lol: and I'm an unbiased judge of Scott Stevens! rofl.gif

Ahh that Chico...

jump.gif

Man, I LOVED that Niedermayer started throwing punches at Primeau for that cheap hit along the boards. Like a lot of Devils, Nieds showed some spunk last night. He had that one nice rush up the ice, too. He's definitely playing better hockey lately.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

even tho i havent seen games i can tell hes playing better by listening on the net and because noone is whining about him anymore

haha when i heard nieds was in a fight i was like "are you sure?"

I was going to mention that. I saw part of the game during lunch today (FSNY plays the unscrambled replay then). Chico not a homer :lol: and I'm an unbiased judge of Scott Stevens! rofl.gif

Ahh that Chico...

jump.gif

I figure the glue from Chico's piece has seeped into his brain & made it impossible for him to tell that he's the definition of a homer.

But I guess every team has to have one.

Man, I LOVED that Niedermayer started throwing punches at Primeau for that cheap hit along the boards. Like a lot of Devils, Nieds showed some spunk last night. He had that one nice rush up the ice, too. He's definitely playing better hockey lately.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

even tho i havent seen games i can tell hes playing better by listening on the net and because noone is whining about him anymore

haha when i heard nieds was in a fight i was like "are you sure?"

Niedsfan, don't they say it's always the quiet ones?

By the way, the refs were right to toss Colin White last night. Third man in is gone. He should know it by now.

If you can't be the third man in during roughing situations than we'd have guys being kicked out of games after every goal mouth scrum. Its not like he stepped into the middle of a fight, he stepped in between 2 guys pushing at each other. And on Langenbrunner, instigating is supposed to be when you basically jumpa g uy and force you to defend himself, not when the opposing player stops skating, starts jawing at you, and comes at you when you go at them.

-Scott

Anyone think he reads this board?  

Being new to being able to actually watch the Devils on TV (praises to NHL Center Ice) instead of just through a net feed, I'm not sure :unsure: if he's used this one before but, I also heard Chico call Gomez - Gomer. I believe that it was posted here first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

:evil: JesterDevil :evil:

yah but nieds isnt much of a hitter or a fighter! hes gotten a bit more physical latley, making nice hits and the fight, plus hes leading rushes and making plays

alright, im shutting up :)

Of course, I couldnt agree with you anymore, Jess! :D

Devils731,

If Niedermayer didn't throw any punches at Primeau, White wouldn't have been tossed. But White was holding back Primeau while Niedermayer threw punches. That's a no-no, according to the rules.

As for the Langenbrunnner instigator, Langenbrunner did make the first move to fight (he charged at Roenick), but I agree that the call was iffy.

I also heard Chico call Gomez - Gomer. I believe that it was posted here first.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

:evil: JesterDevil :evil:

That's actually his team nickname... Chico is just a lil slow :) Hell, even there website lists some of their nicknames...

As for Chico, yes, he is bias... but for a color commentary guy, he is only a slight homer... I've listened to some pretty backwards commentary where its clear they aren't even in the same place and time as the game... there calls are just so bias... Besides, even before Chico gets on a homer rant, Doc ussually steps in... :)

Chico is a homer, but there are plenty far more guilty... case in point: any game on Sunshine Network.

---Another thing, why, even with center ice, can't I see the damn Metro coverage... It peeves me! :)

-Al

By the way, the refs were right to toss Colin White last night. Third man in is gone. He should know it by now.

THANK YOU! I thought i was the only one who saw that it was correct when the refs threw out White. He basically held him while nieds beat the piss outta him. Now Langy getting thrown out.....that was bull $|-|I+, Roenick should have been gone. I wish for once Danton would have played cuz retard would have fought him in a heartbeat and probably would do better than Langy.

Did Chico (or maybe it was Laughlin) say last night that Ken Hitchcock "noticed something" about the Devils in the last game, but wouldn't say what it was? Hey Hitch, back to square one, baby!

I bet the 'weakness' was physical play. There haven't been that many physical games this year. I wonder if this will hold true in the playoffs which are usually harder on the body. I am glad the Devils responded with equal amounts of force.

I noticed Friesen was really looking to give a great body check last night. The Flyers were running after Tivo all night and the Devs responded by not backing down.

The whole Langy/JR fight was a result of JR going after Tivo and checking him down. Langy saw that and immediately went up to JR.

Just still can't believe Breshear backed down from Jimbo, and Jimbo was ALLLLL OVER him like ketchup on fries. Donald Duck just simply backed down, not too tough to me. Plus Donald Duck wasn't going after his type...checking Brylin and Tivo in the corners arent exactly too challenging. Whenever Jimbo was out on the ice will DDuck was out there, he wouldn't be anywhere near him.

Wus.

Did Chico (or maybe it was Laughlin) say last night that Ken Hitchcock "noticed something" about the Devils in the last game, but wouldn't say what it was? Hey Hitch, back to square one, baby!

I bet the 'weakness' was physical play. There haven't been that many physical games this year. I wonder if this will hold true in the playoffs which are usually harder on the body. I am glad the Devils responded with equal amounts of force.

Yeah -- that's all I could think of too! Either physical play - or you mess with their collective mind saying BS like "I know something about them" then they get all flustered!

On another note: I didn't get to see all but Friesen seemed to be contained somehow -- was that just me? He seemed to just miss a ton of stuff but I didnt see that it was his fault - I mean things seemed to luck towards him then get swished off in some other direction... some games are just like that though I think.