FLASHBACK: Mogilny a Devil Again

oofrostonoo

:dance:  :clap:  :dance:  :clap:  :dance:  :clap:  :dance:  :clap:  :dance:  :clap:  :dance:  :clap: 

:hail:  db_mogilny20012.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

of course it's not the Mogilny we had in 2000-2001, he'll turn 37 halfway through the season. But Almo is an all time great talent. The hands and the skating are still top notch. I think we can expect 25 goals and 60 points from him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

7, I disagree with an awful lot of your posts, but one thing I have always been in total agreement with you on is Alexander Mogilny. He is my favorite player in the NHL, bar none. He is one of a precious few players that can turn the sport of hockey into an art, and watching him skate, handle the puck, and shoot, is just a joy. To top it all off he is a class act off the ice and always has some good nuggets for the media. There are quite a few Leafs fans that preferred him to Sundin, and are devastated that he left.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're gonna see a big movement here, its not a question of Kozlov or Frisen anymore, its at least a two-player deal on our end, the question is, who can we get for them, any ideas on who needs what we can offer and what can we get in return that puts us under the cap?

I think we're gonna see a big movement here, its not a question of Kozlov or Frisen anymore, its at least a two-player deal on our end, the question is, who can we get for them, any ideas on who needs what we can offer and what can we get in return that puts us under the cap?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be suprised if we had to trade guys for draft picks or future considerations because we want to get a decent deal but don't want to add money or stay even.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be suprised if we had to trade guys for draft picks or future considerations because we want to get a decent deal but don't want to add money or stay even.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree completely, that seems like the most logical thing thats gonna happen, but given this crazy offseason and Lou's surprising if not somewhat confusing moves, I think anything is a possibility at this point.

Lou's got a month and a half to figure something out. A lot can happen in that time.....training camp injury, Suglobov and/or Parise stepping up and allowing a veteran to be traded, etc.

Looks like they are about $1.2 million over the cap right now (with Elias on IR). Should be an interesting month and a half.

7, I disagree with an awful lot of your posts, but one thing I have always been in total agreement with you on is Alexander Mogilny.  He is my favorite player in the NHL, bar none.  He is one of a precious few players that can turn the sport of hockey into an art, and watching him skate, handle the puck, and shoot, is just a joy.  To top it all off he is a class act off the ice and always has some good nuggets for the media.  There are quite a few Leafs fans that preferred him to Sundin, and are devastated that he left.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Blackjack. You summed it up pretty well. Mogilny is one of those players that can be so much fun to watch. Great skater. World class wrist shot usually top shelf. Awesome deke. Underrated passing skills as Randy McKay would atest to on their PP when he had his big year.

He's easy to like. And a nice guy off the ice.

He's definitely one of my favorite players. I hope he stays healthy because I'd watch him play any day.

oh happy days!

I remember when "7" and I had running battles with Tri when Mogilny has allowed to walk away from the Devils........and how valuable he was.

I am sooo stoked about this!

Now, my wife can take her Mogilny sweater out of the mothballs............

I'm starting to think with these Mogilny and Malakhov signings that Lou, with the $39 million cap (and the fact the Devils' payroll has always been a little higher and would be higher in a non-cap system now with Vanderbeek), isn't afraid to take a chance on an injury-prone guy cause their salaries don't count against the cap if they go on IR.

Or Lou could just think it's 2000 and want to reunite that Cup winner :lol:

I am excited about Mogilny's return - but we saw in the third year of his contract that he was clearly overpaid at 5.5 a year, as a result of his injuries.

Most of the board has the opinion that I am a Mogilny detractor or that I didn't like him - I was frustrated by him, but I wanted him here for years before Lou got him, always took him on my fantasy teams when I could, and wanted the Devils to deal Holik for him at the beginning of 99-00. I also recognized that he had to leave at the end of the 01 season. People on network54 can remember - I said get Malakhov and Mogilny and the Devils will win the Cup in 00. Well, they've got them both back now, for better or for worse.

That said, I don't know what Lou is going to do to get under the cap. Dealing Friesen and Kozlov seems like a must - maybe he will deal Sergei Brylin. I'm also worried about Mogilny's health and committing two years to him.

Eh, Larionov was a fish out of water under the Burns system and he was so frigging disinterested in playing here anyway. Mogilny's coming back to the coach he played for and the other good thing about Mogilny is you know going in he LOVES it here. The only question with him is how long can he stay healthy, we won't know that till we see him.

Edited by Hasan4978

One question..

Why is Almo allowed to wear a jersey number over 40 for the Devils and the other players cant?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because he's special. :P I really don't know the answer, obviously. I am surprised to see this signing. Eh goes to show, you never know with Lou.

Wow, I am just blown away. Lou has really out done himself this off season with the additions, but I am still waiting for the big one. I loved Almo back in 1999 but I am not so sure about now. He is injury plagued and is a question mark until proven otherwise. Is Lou also using Almo to entice Gomer to a longer contract?

I am hoping we keep Kozlov, but I think Lou is using him as trade bait. Odin forbid we trade Brylin who is a Devil through and through.

It really should be interesting for the next few weeks.