Team Canada unveils new uniforms for Turin

L

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_sto...canadian_hockey

canada_76522.jpg

Canadian Press

8/17/2005 9:14:22 PM

KELOWNA, B.C. (CP) - The new hockey jerseys Canadian teams will wear at the Olympic Games and world junior championships have been designed to be cooler, lighter and make the players faster.

The jerseys were unveiled Wednesday at the Olympic team orientation camp.

The home white sweaters feature the Hockey Canada Maple Leaf logo on the front, black trim around the neck, and red and black stripes on the shoulders. There are also red and black stripes on the sides.

The red away sweaters have black and white stripes.

The public can purchase replica jerseys with a Maple Leaf on the front with Canada underneath. The sweaters also have red trim around the neck and stripes on the elbows.

Bob Nicholson, president of Hockey Canada, said the replica jerseys will probably sell for around $100.

He wasn't sure of the cost of the authentic jerseys.

The jerseys will be worn by Canada's team at the world junior hockey championships in Vancouver and both the men's and women's team at the 2006 Turin Olympics.

Although hockey and cycling having little in common, the Team Canada jerseys were designed with some of the same technology used to help Lance Armstrong win seven Tour de France titles.

"One of the key factors in his project for hockey was it was not purely about speed," said Jordan Wand, global director for the Nike advanced innovation team, which designed the jerseys.

"With Lance Armstrong it was purely about speed. With hockey we knew it was about speed but it was also about mobility, about endurance, about strength."

The new jersey and socks weigh about 496 grams - or the weight of three hockey pucks - less than traditional jerseys.

The jerseys are also better vented. This allows players to keep cool while reducing air resistance.

By cutting air resistance by 15 per cent, it gives a player about a 20-inch advantage in a 50-metre sprint with an opponent.

"You can call that one less stride to get to the puck," Wand said.

While lighter and cooler, the jerseys are also more streamlined in their fit. That makes them harder for an opponent to grab.

"We all know there is this trend to tie the guy up in the middle," said Wand.

"If you can streamline the jersey ... there's going to be an inability for the defensive player to grab onto that player."

Under their agreement with the International Ice Hockey Federation, Nike has to make the jerseys available to all teams competing at the Olympics.

Since Nike doesn't have an agreement with the NHL, no team will be wearing the new gear when the season opens Oct. 5.

While happy to show of the new line, Nike officials were silent on how much the technology cost to develop.

One spokesman said it was "in the middle six figures."

:puke:

Edited by L

Gretzky and that other guy are thinking "man those socks look fvcking stupid"

I hope enough Canadians complain...those things should be burned and it's a disgrace to the country of Canada to have your athletes wear such garbage.

sure the lighter jerseys might make the players .00001% faster, but are hockey fans stupid enough to purchase such ugly merchandise....they probably are

:puke::puke::puke:

Edited by '7'

this is what happens when you have non hockey people designing hockey uniforms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure ESPN wasn't involved?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, I don't see any playing cards or nascar logos on that jersey, so I guess not.

somehow, this idea this reeks of bettman

All jerseys are going to look like that....from what I heard they are makeing them tighter to reduce clutching and grabing. It would work well for goaltenders though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but they still want fans to buy the jersey right? so why make it look stupid? it will hurt merchandising.

well, I don't see any playing cards or nascar logos on that jersey, so I guess not.

somehow, this idea this reeks of bettman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha...I knew you'd say that. I was thinking it before too. But if Bettman came up with it, there would also be a No Fighting logo on the front of it :blink:.