MOGILNY CLEARS WAIVERS

DevsRule

mogilny has a lethal shot, and i was looking forward to seeing him play with brylin and kozlov.

who can forget that awesome goal he scored in Boston off the face off draw that won the game???

honestly i think this is a bullsh!t move.

Edited by Shred

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mogilny has a lethal shot, and i was looking forward to seeing him play with brylin and kozlov.

who can forget that awesome goal he scored in Boston off the face off draw that won the game???

honestly i think this is a bullsh!t move.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Molginy DOES have a lethal shot, but he refused to use it!

I think he's more hurt than he's letting on.

Hmmm....Sykora's available, and makes $400k less than Mogs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's stop right here, why didn't Lou just trade Mogilny for Sykora then if that was the object? They both have about the same trade value - nil. The Ducks have been trying to trade Sykora almost from the minute they got him and nobody's wanted him, that doesn't raise another red flag? Sykora has 7 goals and 20 points in 33 games, I'd rather have Mogilny bad hip and all. Hell I'd rather have Suglobov and I'm NOT as big a fan as everyone else is.

Besides, Lou's back to the future approach hasn't exactly worked this year. Mogilny, Malakhov, Rheaume and Oliwa are all off the team :P

Edited by Hasan4978

I have never in all my life - until tonight - seen a team waive it's 3rd leading scorer. I can't even say I have ANY faith left in Lou right now. Why doesn't he just trade Gionta for Chris Draper while he's at it!

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to envy Ranger fans.  :saddevil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and I had never seen a first-place team fire their coach with 8 games to go in a season...but the result was "addition by subtraction".

This move makes absolutely no sense. The Devils are still responsible for his salary at this point. If Lou was counting on someone grabbing him off waivers, couldn't they have traded him, even if it was for little compensation. If the team is still obligated to pay him, wouldn't he be more valuable to the roster than say Rasmussen? or even Marshall? To just waive the third leading scorer, and probably the third or fourth best shooter on the roster? They couldn't have felt THAT confident with Elias after only one game to think MOgilny was expendable.

There is something more taking place, maybe after being a healthy scratch on Tuesday, he was irate, and marched into Lou's office, and let it fly, or he may have been bad, real bad for the locker room.

If they didn't have to pay him, I would say it was just a financial decision, but if you have to pay him anyway, he is certainly a better player than a few of the guys that are still on the roster.

chris

Maybe the reason he was waived and didn't just retire was the fact that he still gets paid. At the beginning of the season, Lou could've said to him, "Come on in, play till Patty gets back. We'll see how the hip is and make the decision then. If it doesn't work, here's your cash. Thanks for being a great guy. Have a good unofficial retirement."

I think it was very mutual and I guess time will tell. If Mogilny gets picked up of waivers and actually plays then my idea is thrown out the window. But if he just slowly fades into the night, then maybe this is what's going on.

-Dan

Maybe the reason he was waived and didn't just retire was the fact that he still gets paid.  At the beginning of the season, Lou could've said to him, "Come on in, play till Patty gets back.  We'll see how the hip is and make the decision then.  If it doesn't work, here's your cash.  Thanks for being a great guy.  Have a good unofficial retirement." 

I think it was very mutual and I guess time will tell.  If Mogilny gets picked up of waivers and actually plays then my idea is thrown out the window.  But if he just slowly fades into the night, then maybe this is what's going on.

-Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too feel that they had reached some sort of understanding prior to the signing.

Overall I'm somewhat shocked that Lou would make this move, but I suppose it is the correct one to make. We shall see.

I thought the madden line looked reinvigorated in the last game, and down right threatening. I wouldnt say we are a one trick pony now, but we arent super deep either. I also think parise is really starting to come together and learn the nhl game. *Soon* we will be reaping the benefits of that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

down right threatening?

threatening what?

threatening to grind the puck down low and eat the clock? threatening to shoot the puck wide of the net? threatening to slow the game down and grind things out?

certainly you can't have fooled yourself into thinking anyone perceives them as ever "threatening to score"?

So, if I understand it correctly, if Almo clears waivers, but is not "assigned" to Albany, then he can either hang in limbo, or be put back on the roster.

I get the feeling they were looking for a trade, got no takers, so threw him out on waivers to see if anyone would take him for free, and, if that still doesn't get rid of him, you'll probably see him back on the ice tonight.

(I haven't read anything about clearing out his locker, just that he asked the PR guy to tell reporters he wouldn't be taking any calls until this was cleared up - also, read a gomer quote basically saying something to the effect of almo being a stand up , team guy , so I don't think it was locker room issues either. I gotta figure he's not happy playing defensive line winger, and, yes, maybe the hip is hampering him more than anyone thought it would - but he's signed for $7 mil, and unlike malakov's foolish "retirement", I can tell you almo will not pass up his $7 million (much like mcgillis wasn't giving up his $5) I can't see him playing in albany, but I gotta beleive he ain't gonna walk away from that cash and "retire" just to help out lou and vanderbeek.

So, if I understand it correctly, if Almo clears waivers, but is not "assigned" to Albany, then he can either hang in limbo, or be put back on the roster.

I get the feeling they were looking for a trade, got no takers, so threw him out on waivers to see if anyone would take him for free, and, if that still doesn't get rid of him, you'll probably see him back on the ice tonight.

(I haven't read anything about clearing out his locker, just that he asked the PR guy to tell reporters he wouldn't be taking any calls until this was cleared up - also, read a gomer quote basically saying something to the effect of almo being a stand up , team guy , so I don't think it was locker room issues either.  I gotta figure he's not happy playing defensive line winger, and, yes, maybe the hip is hampering him more than anyone thought it would - but he's signed for $7 mil, and unlike malakov's foolish "retirement", I can tell you almo will not pass up his $7 million (much like mcgillis wasn't giving up his $5)  I can't see him playing in albany, but I gotta beleive he ain't gonna walk away from that cash and "retire" just to help out lou and vanderbeek.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess he wasn't claimed by noon or we would have heard about it by now.

In regards to the part of the quote I bolded, geez I wouldn't put that past the Devils with the way things have gone this season :lol: Particularly after what happened with McGillis the first time he was waived.

They will NOT call him back up..... that would expose us to half of his salary for this year and next if he gets picke dup on the wya up... Lou's biggest leverage on Almo is to send him to Albany for 1.5 years.

They will agree on a buy out I guess...

Maybe Lou will take half over the whole and he knows already who will claim him on the way up.

You don't have to call a guy back up if you don't send him down. I think you have a certain amount of time (10 days? 30?) that you can keep someone in limbo after waiving them before deciding to send him down, that's how the Devils were able to re-call McGillis the first time without exposing him to the re-entry waivers.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well it doesn't really matter whether Mogilny does or does not want to report in terms of recalling him before sending him down, either way if he passed through waivers Lou could theoretically bring him back before deciding to send him down.

Why would he waive him then play him? I dunno, I dunno why most of the stuff that's happened with the Devils this year has happened. It's just been one long strange soap opera.

That said maybe Lou would prefer to double-talk and bring him back instead of embarassing Mogilny by forcing him to accept a suspension by not reporting to Albany.

Edited by Hasan4978

down right threatening? 

threatening what?

threatening to grind the puck down low and eat the clock?  threatening to shoot the puck wide of the net? threatening to slow the game down and grind things out?

certainly you can't have fooled yourself into thinking anyone perceives them as ever "threatening to score"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah i cant remember the last time one of maddens shots were actually on net

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well they did.

I wouldn't disagree that for most of the season they haven't been able to hit the broad side of a barn, but the last game they looked improved for sure.

well they did.

I wouldn't disagree that for most of the season they haven't been able to hit the broad side of a barn, but the last game they looked improved for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they only scored because lang's flubbed the shot and the off-speed thing just trickled through. I guarantee you, Langenbrunner hauls off an smacks that thing, no way it goes in.

You don't have to call a guy back up if you don't send him down.  I think you have a certain amount of time (10 days?  30?) that you can keep someone in limbo after waiving them before deciding to send him down, that's how the Devils were able to re-call McGillis the first time without exposing him to the re-entry waivers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does someone knows what happens after that 10 or 30 day period ?

Do you have to send the player to the farm team/trade him or you can put him back on the team without any penalty ?(except that his salary would be back on the cap).

I really hope we didn't see last of Almo. We can still play Suglobov when Almo rests since we have extra 900,000 under the cap.

Red Sox also out Ramirez on wavers in 2004 and the very next season he help them win WS.

Edited by MacDevil

and I had never seen a first-place team fire their coach with 8 games to go in a season...but the result was "addition by subtraction".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not much of a comprison, really. Coaches only tell players what to do, you still need players who have the talent to go out and do it. Dumping one of the very few offensively talented players you have when you don't have a replacement isn't addition by subtraction.

...And teams with only one scoring line don't win Stanley Cups. They lose as soon as the opponent figures out how to shut down that line.

Wtf does the hip surgery have to do with anything? Do we not take action because he had hip surgery? It doesn't change the fact that he sucks this year (whether it be hip surgery induced or not).

What do you mean what am I smoking? Suglobov played much better than Mogilny in his only game of the season and would continue to do so if given the chance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hip surgery has a lot to do with me being surprised he can still skate...it has a lot to do with his performance...one never regains 100% range of motion nor are they ever 100% pain free...I see Mogs do crossovers and I just cringe..however...take action now??? wtf...we should have never re-signed him for the amount of money that Lou did...he could never perform the same...as for Sluggo...one game makes him better than Mogs??? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeez...that is just nuts...if given the chance??? Sorry...either it is what you are smoking or your crystal ball is a tad foggy imo...one game does not an elite career make.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He does have a lethal shot however I am not surprised he wasn't taking that kind of shot much...the hip rotation for that is off the edge for me to watch ...my double hip replacements just cringe watching Mogs recently when he delivered a blistering shot :o