Tighter jerseys on ice

Rock

Tighter jerseys on ice

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l=1044442957278

NHLers balk at uniform change Players' union wants more testing

Apr. 14, 2006. 01:00 AM

RANDY STARKMAN

SPORTS REPORTER

The new-look, streamlined uniforms the NHL planned to unveil next season are being put back in the closet for a year because of concerns voiced by the players' association.

All 30 NHL teams were to be outfitted in more form-fitting sweaters by official uniform supplier Reebok, but any changes have been postponed until the 2007-08 campaign because the NHLPA does not feel the players have been given enough time to review the revamped design.

"The jersey that they wanted to try and use is quite a bit tighter," said Ken Kim, the NHLPA's senior director of business. "It's a pretty fundamental difference in the uniforms. We're certainly not opposed to change, but we have to make sure our constituents, the players, have a chance to evaluate things, test them out and be part of the process to buy into this because it's something that affects performance on the ice.

"The jersey profile hasn't changed in I can't tell you how long, so if you're going to do it, you have to do it right. We want to make sure the players are comfortable that we're doing the right thing for the sport."

Keith Leach, director of hockey uniforms for Reebok International, said it was a mutual decision made by all parties not to move forward this season.

"It's something we want the NHLPA to be more comfortable with," said Leach. "We want to do more long-term testing with the players and the association."

Leach rejected the portrayal of the new uniforms as more form-fitting and something that will give the players an action-hero look. He prefers to describe the changes as "evolutionary" because the uniforms will be made with improved materials that are more breathable and allow the players more movement.

"But we're not going to defy the heritage and look of the game," he said.

Tighter uniforms were introduced to a certain degree by Nike during the 2006 Turin Olympics and were greeted with mixed reviews from the players.

Kim said there wasn't much time to test the new uniforms during the current season and that the lockout really prevented anything from getting done during this past off-season.

"It's something we'd like to do this off-season," said Kim. "Guys want to be open to it. We don't want to do it in an environment where guys are trying to make a team and are under stress. You don't want to be trying something new at that time."

The NHL was unavailable for comment yesterday, but NHL official Brian Jennings told Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal this week that it wanted broader player feedback on the new uniforms but that wasn't possible because of the lockout.

"We've been trying to get them a place at the table here for quite some time," Jennings said.

Here's a simple idea... let the players who like the tighter jerseys wear the tighter ones and let the players who don't like the tighter jerseys wear the ones they wear now. Mind boggling idea huh?

They wouldn't be "uniform" then. It has to be all or nobody.

Edited by Rock

If they look the same it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

My understanding is that the tighter jerseys would be completely tucked in the hockey pants (Which I believe would also be streamlined.). In my opinion that isn't looking the same.

The best thing is, is that it was tried with the Nike "swift" Jerseys in the Olympics...a more streamlined look and feel and a better aerodynamic fabric as well as more breathable...make the athlete, better, faster.... :blahblah: and look who won the gold....the Sweeeeeeeeeeedes!!! They were the only team that didn't wear the Nike "swift" jerseys......take that RBK!!!

The best thing is, is that it was tried with the Nike "swift" Jerseys in the Olympics...a more streamlined look and feel and a better aerodynamic fabric as well as more breathable...make the athlete, better, faster.... :blahblah: and look who won the gold....the Sweeeeeeeeeeedes!!! They were the only team that didn't wear the Nike "swift" jerseys......take that RBK!!!

no RBK for life!

UIncle works for them so i get discounts on Devils stuff, need Reebok to stay with the NHL.

My understanding is that the tighter jerseys would be completely tucked in the hockey pants (Which I believe would also be streamlined.). In my opinion that isn't looking the same.

I don't think they could really streamline the pants that much without sacrificing protection.

I don't think they could really streamline the pants that much without sacrificing protection.

Maybe my recollection was wrong, it was something about thinner but stronger padding using new materials.

Or maybe they were bringing back the Cooperalls the Flyers wore for a season. :puke::whistling::rolleyes:

Maybe my recollection was wrong, it was something about thinner but stronger padding using new materials.

Or maybe they were bringing back the Cooperalls the Flyers wore for a season. :puke::whistling::rolleyes:

Yea I suppose they could make the pants out of thinner but stronger stuff. That's more of an equipment manufacturer issue than a league issue though I think.

Please no to the Cooperalls. :pray::lol:

What is the reason behind tighter jerseys, the did it in soccer and rugby in england because it stops players holding each other back by their shirts (still dosent work, just a lot more ripped shirts) , but what possible reason is there in hockey!!?!?!?!?!!?!?

:angry: