GDT: Carolina at New Jersey, 7pm EDT - OLN,TSN

Don

I guess the Devils did not want to make a comeback badly. They shot the puck at the net about 2 times in the last 10 minutes, just terrible.

I guess nobody thought we would get this far anyways. If the Devils won that game 2, this would be a MUCH different series right now. The Devils would probably be winning the series if they didn't let that goal up with 3 seconds.

At least the Devils won the Atlantic Coast Conference and swept the Rags in round 1.

Very disappointing 2nd round, but the Devils will rise next season and hopefully go farther in the playoffs, and maybe win their 4th cup.

Edited by NYGDevils32

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

''You have to look at Cam Ward, who was solid for us,'' Brind'Amour told TSN afterwards. ''Coming in here everyone was talking about (Devils goalie) Martin Brodeur and the confidence he gives (his) team, but I think Cam outplayed him.''

''You have to look at Cam Ward, who was solid for us,'' Brind'Amour told TSN afterwards. ''Coming in here everyone was talking about (Devils goalie) Martin Brodeur and the confidence he gives (his) team, but I think Cam outplayed him.''

I hope someone breaks Brindamour's nose in the first game.

I didn't see the game. I taped it, but I don't usually watch losses. :saddevil: I have to ask, why was our offense so anemic? Why didn't we shoot the puck? Was the Carolina D that stiffling or was it the same old same old with the Devils shooting unable to hit the side of a barn? I also hope the 3 goals that got by Marty were unstoppable. But as for Cam Ward outplaying Marty? The guy never had to work and it sounds like he worked the least in this game.

bascially making him the next great goalie is a joke. he wasn't tested and the 1 time he did he got the boot.

he also just blasted their coach for being a whiner.

THis possbily the only one, or one of the VERY few times I agree with Stan. GOOD JOB!

It was the difficult task of putting two passes together.

Cammi Ward made one good stop the entire night.

Marty did what he could, but he shoud not have to play THAT well.

This team just lost all offensive cohesiveness.

The multiple powerplays disrupted them more than it did Carolina.

RFA. 1 year from UFA. His dad said he will be looking for a 1 year deal so that he can get to UFA ASAP.

that is NOT what carlos said. he said that if a long term deal cannot be worked out, they would seek a one year deal with lou or though arbitration becasue they didn't want gomer holding out or worrying about contract

Simply put, this was the best we couldve expected from the Devils this year. Seriously, this team was so thin on depth, such that one player, Elias, made a such a huge difference. What are the Devils weaknesses that need to be addressed:

1. Leadership - this team lacked true leadership, this is the first hole we are going to have to fill in order to have success in the future. Patrick Elias, although a leader, does not possess the true qualities of a Captain, a leader should have a powerful aura around him, e.g., Stevens comes into the locker room and the devs play their A game. Finding a leader like Stevens is no simple task, and those types of players probably dont exist anymore in the new NHL. Maybe Pronger?

2. Defense - we have four defensemen who are capable of playing the new NHL, Raffi, Whitey, Martin and Hale. Obviously, the two rookies have done a good job this year, yes they have made their fare share of mistakes, but I have confidence the rookies will be top Defensmen in the future, they have that potential. MAtty, Albelin, not to take credit away from them, are too old for this era. They did play well, but there is only so much they can do. Klee and Luko were just simply ok at best, and I am being generous. To sum it up, today's defensive defensemen have to play physical and be quick and fast on their feet. The offensive defensemen have to be physical and quick and fast.

3. Goto guy - this is something we truly lack. There is no player on the devs who can seriously carry the team, we lost Nieds, and this game showed how much we need players like him. I am not saying defense, but more in general. A player that can take the puck end to end and is a serious threat. Gomer, although he can, is not nearly feared as Thornton or Nieds or Staal for that matter.

Parise is awesome, I saw him play on Saturday and was excited. He is a definite keeper. I hope we see players of Ovechkin calibre, something we truly lack. The devs also look for players who can play or are two way so I dont know if we ever will see one.

Anyways, this was a better season than anyone of us could've hoped for, I enjoyed chatting here more than ever (the chat is very nice). Thank you admins and fellow fans. I look forward to the offseason and then next season. Will keep reading the boards.

P.S: For those of you on chat know my GOAL in advance cheer/prediction, I know RF loves it ;) Well its currently patent pending, patent #794332304663234. Please feel free not to look it up as you wont find it :)

The fat lady sang. It's over.

I didn't expect much from this team, I got the excitement of two long winning runs and the blow out of the Overrated Rangers.

A lot of our key players were hurt and their psyche wasn't good going into that series. It was predictable what happened. I think health would have made it a more competitive series. I still feel they would have lost but in at least 6 games.

I think NJDF said the Canes didn't do anything special tonight. They played about as perfect as you can play the final 50 minutes. The opportunity was there for the Devils but they didn't put their foot down. Their power plays couldn't connect. Ward also made some good saves. Even if Fischler made an ass out of himself in the postgame with that cheap comment.

You still had a good season. They played almost perfect hockey for two months. Ultimately, the Devils ran out of gas. Congrats on your run.

Ward's play had little impact on the outcome of the series.

That's true. But hasn't that been said about Brodeur? The Devils had some great team defenses in front of him. And he was called upon to make 3 or 4 big saves. Most of the rebounds were cleared away. Players rarely got near the crease. That was the recipe which had success.

Ward did the same thing. He still deserves credit. Even if Fischler wants to cry like a baby. What were the saves Ward made in the first 10 minutes when his team was flat as a pancake?

He made the stops he had to. The Canes played like the old Devils. Very detail oriented and made life easier on their goalie.

3. Goto guy - this is something we truly lack. There is no player on the devs who can seriously carry the team, we lost Nieds, and this game showed how much we need players like him. I am not saying defense, but more in general. A player that can take the puck end to end and is a serious threat. Gomer, although he can, is not nearly feared as Thornton or Nieds or Staal for that matter.

Elias was that guy. I'd rather him than Thornton or Staal.

that is NOT what carlos said. he said that if a long term deal cannot be worked out, they would seek a one year deal with lou or though arbitration becasue they didn't want gomer holding out or worrying about contract

Exactly. They want a long term deal but if Lou gives him a one year deal he will mostly likely walk.

Oh yeah sorry about the chat the cable company is doing system maintenance and decided to do it during the game. It came on right after the game was over. They were smart I guess though because they kept OLN on but no other channel worked.

Edited by sandman441

Exactly. They want a long term deal but if Lou gives him a one year deal he will mostly likely walk.

this is also wrong. he may go to UFA, but i wouldn't say that he walks for sure. i can state the following as near fact based on inside stuff i've heard:

gomez wants to stay and likes it here, but he won't stay for a discount. this is his first choice, but he would go elsewhere for more. i think 4/16-18 gets him signed. and i can assure you that IF elias leaves, lou will look to lock up gomer for as much as 5/year

I have to imagine Vanderbeek is gonna let us run right up to cap. He's gotta pressure Lou to get a deal done for Elias. Can't go into a brand new arena with no talent up front. Plus I really couldn't deal with the trauma of Patty leaving. What would I change my login name to?