"run The Goalie Is Our Motto" 'canes Whine About Game-wi

SueNJ97

Apparently, they are allowed to run opponents' goalies at will but nobody is allowed to follow a puck into Cam Ward's crease and score. That's cause for an uproar. Every frigging thing in this series has broken their way so far, this was a legal goal and they are WHINING???? I used to have respect for Brind'Amour but I'm losing it now. Everything about the new rules basically favors them, including the fact that d-men can't push their forwards around, which is fine. It's as it should be. But they have to stop whining when the new rules don't stop the opposing player from going to the net, following a puck into the crease and scoring when it bounces in off him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/s...6p-359310c.html

In the old days, you couldn't just go into a goaltender's crease. A defenseman would knock you senseless, or a replay reviewer would punish you with his remote.

The latter was especially an issue come playoff time. Goals used to be disallowed by the dozen, all in the name of protecting goaltenders from injury. Anytime anyone scored while a teammate was in the crease - even if he had no impact on the play - the goal was waved off, often after a lengthy review.

It eventually became untenable, though: the endless instant replays, the needless goal nullifying. All except for Brett Hull's Cup-winning goal in 1999, which was never reviewed despite Hull's clear infringement into the crease.

The rule came off the books the next season. More recently, the offensive-minded officiating changes following the lockout limited the trench warfare in front of the net. These facts are serving the Edmonton Oilers well in this year's Stanley Cup Finals.

Were the old crease rules still in effect, Ryan Smyth's game-winning goal Saturday night never would've counted. Carolina could've been poised to sweep tonight. Instead, Edmonton, down 2-1, can even the series at home in Game 4 thanks to Smyth's controversial score.

Smyth broke a 1-1 tie with 2:15 left on a deflection in front. Smyth was well into the crease, and the Hurricanes protested that he interfered with goaltender Cam Ward's ability to get to the puck - which is illegal, but is far more vague than in-the-crease used to be. The play was upheld after review, as Smyth didn't bat the puck in.

Carolina's Rod Brind'Amour was particularly irked after the game, although not so much because of the ruling.

"It's not so much the interference as the explanation," Brind'Amour said. "That's what gets me. (Referee Mick McGeough) said it hit him outside the crease and it went in. ... It's a crock.

"Whatever. It's the National Hockey League. What do you expect?"

Defenseman Aaron Ward apologized to the goaltender Ward for not playing Smyth more physically. That would've been an easier decision in previous years. Now it's tougher, as is the Canes' path in this series.

Just to add something. I was listening to Pierre McGuire and this is what he had to say...

"They are upset because of the Smyth goal...they were complaining and whining and very upset. Ray Whitney stood up in their dressing room after hearing enough and I'm being kind of nice but he said button up and cut it out and lets go out and play. One of there players who will remain nameless because this would be a breach of any kind of etiquette but one of their players didn't want to be in their dressing room for about 10 minutes after the game. I said why are you standing out here? He says because I can't take all the whining."

Just to add something. I was listening to Pierre McGuire and this is what he had to say...

"They are upset because of the Smyth goal...they were complaining and whining and very upset. Ray Whitney stood up in their dressing room after hearing enough and I'm being kind of nice but he said button up and cut it out and lets go out and play. One of there players who will remain nameless because this would be a breach of any kind of etiquette but one of their players didn't want to be in their dressing room for about 10 minutes after the game. I said why are you standing out here? He says because I can't take all the whining."

:rofl:

OK, then, I modify my comments for Ray Whitney and the nameless Hurricane player who left the room because he couldn't stand the whining. You, I respect. You are the anti-Hurricanes.

Wow. That's pathetic. And if it's true, maybe there's still a chance Carolina can fall apart at the seams and lose this series. One can hope and pray.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

I have a picture of Justin Williams on my myspace crashing into Marty. His skate blade is going into Marty's crotch and his eyes are looking straight at it. He is cleary, with intent, trying to cut Marty's nuts off. Click on the link below and go to pics.

My Webpage

I wish one of the Oilers would shove a stick up Brind -a-whore and give him something to whine about.

I am sorry I cant take it anymore, this team has gotten to the point of hatred with me!! I dont like saying that but give me a freakin break. Brind'Amour Mr Iron man a few yrs ago, now falls when Dman touches him and takes the DIVE??? He has the gall to complain abot the legal goal??? Staal runs the goalie no call and this piece of crap complains??? I mean it figures he used to be a Flyer that partially explains it. but I have absolutely no respect for this Canes team. Even if they go on to win I have none. Every break and call has gone their way and now they gripe?? It stems from their prima dona whining cry baby head coach. I would love to get a piece of him. He is a girl!!!! They are whacking Peca from behind when the Oilers are on the PK the other night and rather than even it up the refs just look the other way. they are in the crease constantly and the refs just look the other way. It is pathetic. I know the NHL wants to give the small market teams a breath of life but giving this Canes team the cup is ridiculous. Let me say this, they do have talent, but they have been handed alot on this run, and I am sure it isnt over yet (as far as the gifts go). I am totally on the Oilers bandwagon at this point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't get every break. You just can't stand the fact they kicked your team's ass. Sorry. But it had to be said.

And btw...Recchi basically admitted after the game to McGuire that it was a goal. And didn't bitch about it.

They don't get every break. You just can't stand the fact they kicked your team's ass. Sorry. But it had to be said.

And btw...Recchi basically admitted after the game to McGuire that it was a goal. And didn't bitch about it.

And you are happy to say this coz my team kicked your team's collective asses in 4.

If you look at what I said, I was clear. They lived by the fact that their forwards can't be impeded, and I said, "which is fine, It's as it should be. But they have to stop whining when the new rules don't stop the opposing player from going to the net, following a puck into the crease and scoring when it bounces in off him."

They were better than NJ. That was clear. I didn't have to like them because of it. I was going to root for Buffalo, and then the Oilers anyway. It would be nice if I could come away with some respect for them but they are making it impossible. However, the whining by this team, from the coach on down, has been ridiculous. We've identified 2, Whitney, one un-named, who didn't whine about it. I can't count Recchi because he might be the un-named guy.

And they have gotten just about every break. I realize that Cole went down but that was well before the end of the season. In the ECF, Connolly went out and 4 defensemen for the Sabres. And Buffalo still took them to 7, with the 'Canes whining all the way. Maybe if they had whined a little less they might have taken advantage of the fact that they had a wounded opponent. Then, in the first game of the Finals, the Oilers lose the one player who has made a real difference for them in the post-season, the goaltender. In a close-fought Game 3, the 'Canes get yet another break when Mr. Magoo loses sight of the puck for no earthly reason - it was clearly loose. But hey, it gave them something else to whine about when Edmonton scored to make it 2-1.

Hey, they beat the Devils fair and square. I give them all the kudos in the world for that. They are the better team, and have a whole lot of talent.

But the whining is getting really old with them. I applaud Ray Whitney and the other Carolina player for finally saying enough already.

They beat us and they were the better team- no one here denies that- certainly not me. But they're whining and complaining is out of control, and has seemingly gotten worse each series. You can't deny that Derek.

Most of this board can't stomach the fact the Devils were beaten as soundly as they were by Carolina. A team that was missing one of their best players and probably should've paid the price for it. Or at least that's what I thought.

There has been a lot of stuff said about their tactics. Or about their luck. They must be doing something right because they're still playing.

I didn't see one person call Edmonton lucky the other night. And nobody had the Sabres as lucky when they were up 2-1 on two of the flukiest goals you'll ever see in Game 7 before the roof caved in. It wasn't luck when Briere's shot fluttered off Ward's glove in Game 6. And it wasn't luck when Brind'Amour scored the series winner either.

And it definitely wasn't luck when two or three of the Devils goals in their one win against Carolina took weird deflections.

Or how the Rangers hit all those posts while the Devils got every freaking break including the injuries. But it wasn't luck.

You have to be doing something right to get those breaks. Like being in the right position. Or driving to the net.

How many power plays has Edmonton had in this series thus far? Too many to count.

I only saw two guys continually piss and moan on Carolina Sue after the Smyth goal.

One was Brind'Amour and the other was Laviolette.

But you know something. I seem to remember the Oilers doing a lot of complaining about stuff after Game One heading into Game Two. And what happened in Game Two? They got their asses kicked.

So maybe if a few Canes are still upset about the other night, that bodes well for Edmonton tonight.

I guess Recchi was the one standing out in the hall if he thinks it was a goal since it sounds like that opinion was in the minority. Or Ward or Wesley, IMO right now they're probably the only ones left with any form of class in that locker room along with Whitney.

I could care less that they beat the Devils by a drum. Other teams have beaten us up, the Flyers did in '04 and I didn't have one-tenth of the dislike for them (yeah there I said it) that I do this Cane team. This despite the fact that I do not like the Flyers and I did like Carolina for most of the year and would have rooted for them in the rest of the playoffs whether they beat us or not if they didn't start acting like a bunch of babies. Although I started not liking them very much after Commodore's asinine quote about being with the 'good guys' now, and their diving spree in our series anyway.

And I didn't think I'd be back on the Oilers' side after the way they disgraced themselves in the first two games, but the Canes have been incorrigable the entire playoffs. My god I have NEVER seen a team bitch and moan this much, this may be sacrilidge but they're even making Quinn and the Leafs look mild in comparison.

Derek you can say all you want that only Brindy and Laviolette have whined publicly, guess what you're talking about the captain and coach - that IS the team! And evidently they aren't the only ones judging by the Pierre McGuire comment. They all bitched about the Weight penalty in Game 6 against the Sabres, they're bitching about a perfectly legit goal by Smith, Laviolette bitches about every single call that doesn't go his way. SHUT THE FVCK UP ALREADY! :doh1:

And the rest of the Canes have gone on diving sprees as well, not to mention running the goalie every chance they get - which to the NHL's discredit they let them get away with both the diving and running the goalie. And then they accuse the other team of diving every chance they get, like Laviolette thinking Marty took a dive to draw a penalty :P As the gang used to say on Fat Albert - 'no class'.

P.S. Even if you want to say the breaks on the ice have evened out (which I don't agree with), you have to admit the Canes have gotten a TON of breaks off-ice with the Koivu injury, the Sabres' entire defensive corps getting hurt, and Roloson going down. You can bring up Cole but remember they got Recchi because Cole was hurt, it's not as if they had no replacement; they've had time to adjust. You can't bring up Jagr being out against the Devils, the Devils beat the Rangers like a drum in Game 1 with Jagr and Jagr hurt himself trying to cheap-shot a player so he got what he deserved in that sense.

Edited by Hasan4978

I see no correlation between the Hurricanes beating the Devils and the Hurricanes incessant whining. The Devils were bi-polar all season. The bad Devils showed up against the Canes. Not saying the good Devils would've won the series, but would've made a better showing.

GO OILERS!

I took Brind'Amour and Laviolette to task on the show tonight.

Recchi is playoff tested but he's never been what I'd call a great performer. And he sure isn't Cole in terms of the physicality and speed.

Edmonton has an advantage there. They have more physical forwards who can pound. The hits btw in the first period were 12-10 Oilers.

Regarding Jagr or no Jagr, the Rangers were never healthy mentally or physically entering that series. Our goalie shouldn't have even been playing. He clearly was not the same guy. And that was a bigger edge than our superstar forward being out.

Give me a healthy team and that's at least a competitive six-game series. I don't believe they'd have won but it wouldn't have been so onesided.

Recchi is playoff tested but he's never been what I'd call a great performer. And he sure isn't Cole in terms of the physicality and speed.

I don't disagree with that - though I thought much the same of Stillman and Whitney before the playoffs in terms of not producing in the playoffs. Obviously with the new rules, finesse players can succeed in the playoffs now.

The point is, they didn't replace Cole with a minor league player or healthy scratch the way those other teams had to on the fly, they got the best possible replacement.

EDIT: Frigging wonderful, thanks for jinxing it since Recchi just scored :P

Edited by Hasan4978

'Canes have been unbelivably big whiners, Derek. Now they do have a bunch of guys who've never won a Cup but have been to multiple finals (Hedican, Brind'Amour, Wesley come to mind), but they have gotten a ton of luck and a ton of the ref's calls this postseason - for them to complain is absolutely mind-boggling, especially when they have run every goalie. In 3 of the 4 series major injuries have hurt the opposing team. How can they possibly complain?

EDIT: Frigging wonderful, thanks for jinxing it since Recchi just scored :P

Sorry. :P It fvcking figures.

I think you can attribute where the Canes are to Ward. He came in and stoned Montreal. If not, they were out in Round One.

'Canes have been unbelivably big whiners, Derek. Now they do have a bunch of guys who've never won a Cup but have been to multiple finals (Hedican, Brind'Amour, Wesley come to mind), but they have gotten a ton of luck and a ton of the ref's calls this postseason - for them to complain is absolutely mind-boggling, especially when they have run every goalie. In 3 of the 4 series major injuries have hurt the opposing team. How can they possibly complain?

I can't disagree at all. I don't like that in general. Quit your yapping and play hockey.

Again, the whole running the goalie thing can be attributed to the miniscule crease you see. Players are told to drive to the net and get dirty. Make life difficult for the goalie.

The crease is not big enough. If a goalie comes out, there's just not enough room. So of course attacking players are going to be right on top of them because they're on the edge of the crease. What makes it worse is that half the damn time, those players are shoved in by a defenseman or goalie sticks them. Or they'll go thru and a goalie mightl take a dive because they hate having anyone near their crease.

The rule is clear. If the player goes in there untouched, then it's goalie interference. But if they're shoved in, then that's the fault of the opposition. Paging Marc Andre Bergeron.

Switch to the old crease and you'd see a lot of these problems go away.

I think the bigger problem with goalies getting run is that defensemen arent allowed to protect the goalies at all anymore. Im not talking about interfereing with players on the way to the crease, but once they are there, in the paint, or actually making contact with the goalie, how many times do you see the guy who hit the player walk away scot free while the defensemen that puts him on his ass for hit gets the penalty?

They either have to call in the interference everytime, or allow guys to defend their goalies, and make fowards pay a price when they choose to invade the crease.

I think the bigger problem with goalies getting run is that defensemen arent allowed to protect the goalies at all anymore. Im not talking about interfereing with players on the way to the crease, but once they are there, in the paint, or actually making contact with the goalie, how many times do you see the guy who hit the player walk away scot free while the defensemen that puts him on his ass for hit gets the penalty?

They either have to call in the interference everytime, or allow guys to defend their goalies, and make fowards pay a price when they choose to invade the crease.

This is true. Defensemen have to be more careful with what they do in front of the net against opposing players. Why do you think Gionta was able to score so many goals? Because it's easier for a player of even his stature to get to the front of the net and bury chances.

I think they have to make it more clear as to what a D can get away with. If it's a clean take out of a player who's got the puck, that's hockey.

You also happen to be right. They never get the player who initiates it. It's always the reaction.