Verizon / Cablevision MSG HD FCC fight continues...

PeteyNice

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that FiOS is allowed to carry MSG & MSG+ in HD, does anyone know when this will happen?

I doubt it will happen. Cablevision will fight this ruling forever. They know damn well that these HD channels are the only thing keeping tens of thousands of subscribers from switching to FiOS.

Now that FiOS is allowed to carry MSG & MSG+ in HD, does anyone know when this will happen?

There's an appeal process for FCC decisions (which I think is 45 days). After the appeal is decided there's likely little that needs to be done short of turning a switch on. Now, I'm not saying that 45 days after the ruling you should get msg HD. Once the appeal is denied (I'm assuming it will) then the wait should be very short. On the FiOS on-screen guide they have already segregated channels for the HD feeds.

There's an appeal process for FCC decisions (which I think is 45 days). After the appeal is decided there's likely little that needs to be done short of turning a switch on. Now, I'm not saying that 45 days after the ruling you should get msg HD. Once the appeal is denied (I'm assuming it will) then the wait should be very short. On the FiOS on-screen guide they have already segregated channels for the HD feeds.

Cool, is anyone aware if they will appeal. If so when did the 45 day period start?

I have FIOS (switched from DirecTV after they lost VS.) and think the quality is right up there with DTV. The HD content (hockey excluded) is also much better. However, Center Ice shows one or two games in HD each day, which is garbage. Some days, there's no HD offered at all. That package would be worth the $180 I pay for it if every day, I could choose between HD home and away feeds for every game, but we're not remotely there yet.

Hopefully, this ruling against the Cockbag Dolans will help speed more Devils HD feeds into my living room, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree 200%. I could maybe understand this non HD Devils foolishness if it was part of a regular package, but I'm paying above and beyond the regular service. Call me spoiled or crazy, but I should be entitled to every feed available for my team. It's not my fault that MSG has a hair up there butt against the NHL or whatever. I'm just a hockey fan in Louisiana who wants to see his favorite teams home feed in HD.

It's basically based on the bandwidth of the wires or satellite. The higher the bandwidth, the less compressed the image is, & the better it looks. Cable companies are squeezing HD, OnDemand, SD, phone, and internet onto an older cable that can't deliver as much data as newer fiber optic cables. They have to compress their footage more than competitors...which you can notice mostly in bright colors, lights, blacks, and text.

I'm not aware of the bandwidth difference between FiOS and D-TV, but it must be similar. I would assume FiOS has slightly greater bandwidth capabilities than DTV, but I'm not sure. Think USB vs. USB 2.0.

Edited by oofrostonoo

• 1 month later...

Court OKs TV Rules Opposed by Comcast, Cablevision

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03/12/business/AP-US-TEC-Cable-Access-Rules.html?_r=3

A federal court Friday upheld regulations that require cable TV companies to make sports programming and other channels they own available on equal terms to rival TV providers such as satellite companies.

Comcast said it was disappointed in Friday's ruling.

''The program access rules are based on an outdated and obsolete view of the competitive landscape,'' Cablevision said in a statement.

DirecTV and Verizon hailed the ruling as a win for consumers.

So hopefully I can watch some playoff hockey in HD.

Edited by oofrostonoo

Still not holding my breath. Where's the court order for the Dolans to throw the switch and export the channel? I'll let you know when it shows up on my piss-poor FIOS Center Ice package.

This is good. How the Dolan's could own a team (Rags), the building they play in (MSG), the channel they are broadcasted on (MSG Network), and the cable distribution (Cablevision) without this considered a monoploy is beyond me.

This is good. How the Dolan's could own a team (Rags), the building they play in (MSG), the channel they are broadcasted on (MSG Network), and the cable distribution (Cablevision) without this considered a monoploy is beyond me.

+1 i just want the devils in damn HD for Fios already

• 5 weeks later...

DM - I suspect you'll be watching with the sound off and Matt Loughlin on the radio? I'd almost rather watch in SD with Doc than HD with their PBP.

FiOS has allocated the space for MSG HD but we dont have it yet. I suspect they are dragging their feet a bit through the playoffs in a way to squeeze as much out of this as they can. I am not expecting HDn on FiOS until next season.

• 4 months later...

GF has it.... I can tell you it works VERY nicely.... download like a Mo-Fo on it.... now if only I could convince her to get out of the STONE AGE with her cable package (she only has basic... I get sooooo bored there when she falls asleep since I tend to only need 5 hours of sleep a night and there is NOTHING on the basic channels :P)

Watch her sleep. I won't say anymore for now.

Well after thinking about it and going back and forth several times I have decided to take the plunge and order FIOS TV and Internet. The only thing that worries me is that I can't use my home phone when we have a blackout but that is what cell phones are for. Anyone else have this? Stories?

The only time I've ever had blackout is when a game is on versus, nhl channel, or HTS (Caps/Wizzards channel) other than that you'll get everything. You are getting Center Ice right?

I'm really hoping this is sorted for this year, but again -- not holding my breath.

As far as MSG HD as a channel outside the NY area, I think the way this works is that you get all the content except the games, which are blacked out in favor of the sports package. This is the way YES HD works here in LA for both DTV and FIOS.

If Gary Bettman and his much taller lackeys had the beginning of a clue, they would insist that every signal exported by every NHL team was available in HD. The difference it makes for this sport is bigger than any other. It completely changes the way the game is presented.

I'm really hoping this is sorted for this year, but again -- not holding my breath.

As far as MSG HD as a channel outside the NY area, I think the way this works is that you get all the content except the games, which are blacked out in favor of the sports package. This is the way YES HD works here in LA for both DTV and FIOS.

If Gary Bettman and his much taller lackeys had the beginning of a clue, they would insist that every signal exported by every NHL team was available in HD. The difference it makes for this sport is bigger than any other. It completely changes the way the game is presented.

I am sure they would insist this in light of the impending NBC/Comcast takeover, and with Comcast and Cablevision already owning two of their flagship franchises. You are much likely to see the opposite - that the NHL would insist that the NHL in HD can only be seen on cable providers.

Edited by Triumph

• 4 weeks later...

I have been wondering the same thing. Streaming games on the internet gives me better quality (and a 16:9 aspect), than the SD feed. Totally sucks. Msg needs to stop cockblocking.

MSG HD is the only reason I'm even keeping Time Warner Cable right now. I can't wait for the day I get to call up and cancel, but fios has to actually get the damn hd channel already.

• 5 months later...