The move from East Rutherford to Newark

LOTCB

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very excited for the move. It is going to be so nice not having to drive the parkway and turnpike for an hour and a half in traffic. And not having to deal with trying to get out of that parking lot after a game. I'd rather spend that $12 parking fee on a train ticket and not want to kill someone. I will go to more games.

that part of newark is fine, there is no need for anyone to worry at all. they're trying to "clean newark up" and this is part of their effort. newark has a business district and college campuses and nice restaurants. just dont wander off aimlessly and you'll be fine.

i pass through newark everyday on the train twice. through newark broad street station, but it wouldnt make my commute any harder if i rerouted to take the train that goes through newark penn, so now i can go to weekday games. and not drive.

i pass through newark everyday on the train twice. through newark broad street station, but it wouldnt make my commute any harder if i rerouted to take the train that goes through newark penn, so now i can go to weekday games. and not drive.

Also, there's going to be (if there isn't already) a light rail link between Broad Street and Penn stations.

I won't really feel any nostalgia towards CAA until the next time I go to a hockey game and it's in a new arena. Even so, I'm looking forward to the new arena itself and not driving in or out of the mess known as the Meadowlands (though since I parked at the track most of the year I didn't have to pay and next year I'll have to pay for the train ride).

There's so many unanswered questions as far as NJ Transit is concerned, I heard they were going to have gameday discounts? Plus where I usually come in I would get dropped off at Broad Street but the front of the arena seems to be Penn Station. Will it be a walkable distance (without having to worry about big, bad Newark) or do I have to spend another $2 for the light rail to go a block or two :P

Edited by Hasan4978

I won't really feel any nostalgia towards CAA until the next time I go to a hockey game and it's in a new arena. Even so, I'm looking forward to the new arena itself and not driving in or out of the mess known as the Meadowlands (though since I parked at the track most of the year I didn't have to pay and next year I'll have to pay for the train ride).

There's so many unanswered questions as far as NJ Transit is concerned, I heard they were going to have gameday discounts? Plus where I usually come in I would get dropped off at Broad Street but the front of the arena seems to be Penn Station. Will it be a walkable distance (without having to worry about big, bad Newark) or do I have to spend another $2 for the light rail to go a block or two :P

i THINK it's 11 blocks. 10 or 11, i heard an njt worker tell some homeless dude who got on the wrong train one time that.

Eh wonderful. If I'm going myself I guess I'll have to take the light rail but going with someone else it really would be cheaper and more convenient to drive, which would present a whole new set of problems considering the supposed lack of parking and surrounding area in case of a wrong turn :P

Edited by Hasan4978

I have said this before and I'll say it again. If you are gonna drive to The Rock park at Harrison PATH and take PATH over. Parking is cheap (~$3) or even free if you know where to go. PATH is cheap (even if you are in a group) and runs frequently. The Harrison PATH station is right off of 280 and between downtown Newark and the Turnpike so you can get a jump on all the people trying to get out of downtown after a game.

I'm excited about it! CAA has held a lot of great memories for me, including my college graduation, but it's on its way out, unfortunately. A new arean will be nice. It was a pain to get to for a lot of people.

I can't wait to be able to just jump on a train and not have to worry about anything. I'm also anxious to see what the "new" Newark will be like--it's been mentioned, this arena is part of a huge project to make this area of Newark want to visit again. I'm not worried about possible crime, just be smart and don't roam around there by yourself way after everything closes. You'd probably have much more to fear from ticket scalpers and whatnot. I grew up not far away from Newark and I've experienced of this area, it's not bad at all.

Question about parking, is it just going to be parking garages? That wouldn't bother me much but that would kill tailgating for a lot of people. I wonder if they'd let people do anything in the park area.

ETA:

I have said this before and I'll say it again. If you are gonna drive to The Rock park at Harrison PATH and take PATH over. Parking is cheap (~$3) or even free if you know where to go. PATH is cheap (even if you are in a group) and runs frequently. The Harrison PATH station is right off of 280 and between downtown Newark and the Turnpike so you can get a jump on all the people trying to get out of downtown after a game.
Edited by CheekyDevil

It's funny, I hated CAA because it wasn't accessable by anything but car and I didn't drive. But I finally got my lisence and car in November, and now I'm kind of annoyed I'm going to have to take a train to the new place :doh1:

I will miss CAA to a point. I'ev been going to games since '92 or '93, a ton of memories in that building. Not just hockey (though that was the majority) but also concerts, basketball and wrestling. But I'm so far removed from those last two and it's such an awful concert venue that the last Devils game there will probably be the last time I ever set foot in that building again.

I think I'm too pumped for The Rock right now to be too nostalgic, but in a few years I'll probably miss the old sh!thole.

I would give anything to detonate the dynamite that will eventually be placed throughout the CAA once this state comes to it's senses. I have many fond memories in my last 21 years of going to events there, but I'm satisfied with those and hopefully one last miracle there. It's long beyond time to move on to much better things for us and the team.

I would give anything to detonate the dynamite that will eventually be placed throughout the CAA once this state comes to it's senses. I have many fond memories in my last 21 years of going to events there, but I'm satisfied with those and hopefully one last miracle there. It's long beyond time to move on to much better things for us and the team.

Eh wonderful. If I'm going myself I guess I'll have to take the light rail but going with someone else it really would be cheaper and more convenient to drive, which would present a whole new set of problems considering the supposed lack of parking and surrounding area in case of a wrong turn :P

I am so unbelieveably excited for Newark. I don't have a car since I live in NYC so I have to take the bus from the Port Authority every game. Those of you who go to the Port Authority know that it is quite possibly more disgusting than any hellhole spot in Newark. It's definitely not an enticing option to take a girl to a Devil game and say that we have to go the Port Authority.

Next year is going to be such a breeze. I can walk the 2-3 blocks to the PATH station, either one uptown by my apartment or downtown by my office. I can then hop on the train and brown bag it on the way the game, and get psyched for the game with tons of fellow Devils fans. Coming from NYC, Ranger-Devils games are gonna be so freaking fun on the trains.

As for driving, there is going to be a 3,500 car lot that is going to be built by the team, and in the area around downtown there are literally dozens of other lots. The 10 square block around the arena is really not scary, and the Ironbound district is actually a very cool spot to hangout and also to park, with plenty of spots available.

Finally, there is also going to be stuff to do before and after the game unlike at dumpy CAA. There are already couple of bars right around the arena, mainly to cater to the folks who work at the courts. I'm sure a few more bars and restuarants will pop up before and during the season. Plus the already existing Spanish and Portugeuse restaurants in Newark are absolutely out of this world. Don Pepe's , Fornos and Spain are all amazing spots on par with any restuarant you will find in New York. I'm already planning on making reservations at Adega Grill on Ferry Street for opening day next year. This arena is going to be incredible and the Devils are going to be the envy of the NHL next year. Now if only we could do something about this little 3-1 deficit we're facing.

I am so unbelieveably excited for Newark. I don't have a car since I live in NYC so I have to take the bus from the Port Authority every game. Those of you who go to the Port Authority know that it is quite possibly more disgusting than any hellhole spot in Newark. It's definitely not an enticing option to take a girl to a Devil game and say that we have to go the Port Authority.

Next year is going to be such a breeze. I can walk the 2-3 blocks to the PATH station, either one uptown by my apartment or downtown by my office. I can then hop on the train and brown bag it on the way the game, and get psyched for the game with tons of fellow Devils fans. Coming from NYC, Ranger-Devils games are gonna be so freaking fun on the trains.

As for driving, there is going to be a 3,500 car lot that is going to be built by the team, and in the area around downtown there are literally dozens of other lots. The 10 square block around the arena is really not scary, and the Ironbound district is actually a very cool spot to hangout and also to park, with plenty of spots available.

Finally, there is also going to be stuff to do before and after the game unlike at dumpy CAA. There are already couple of bars right around the arena, mainly to cater to the folks who work at the courts. I'm sure a few more bars and restuarants will pop up before and during the season. Plus the already existing Spanish and Portugeuse restaurants in Newark are absolutely out of this world. Don Pepe's , Fornos and Spain are all amazing spots on par with any restuarant you will find in New York. I'm already planning on making reservations at Adega Grill on Ferry Street for opening day next year. This arena is going to be incredible and the Devils are going to be the envy of the NHL next year. Now if only we could do something about this little 3-1 deficit we're facing.