The move from East Rutherford to Newark

LOTCB

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have very mixed emotions about the new arena. I've been going to CAA since '87 and yes I agree it is now a dump. I have so many great memories there that I can't even begin to count. It would have been nice if they could have built the new arena in E. Rutherford but we all know that was not going to happen. My friends and I are among those who love to tailgate and that will be gone in Newark. :( Mass transit really doesn't help me where I live and I am very concerned about driving to Newark. The parking is limited and if you get a few blocks away from the arena it's not a very nice area. I am looking foward to a beautiful new home for my Devs though. It will be nice not to get stampeded between periods.

MD, I just had my first visit to the Panthers stadium back in April and thought it was very nice. Unlike our new arena they had plenty of parking and space for tailgating. I got a big kick out of the guy in the rikshaw bringing people up to the arena. And it was in a much nicer area then Newark. :blink:

The Panthers arena is basically CAA South. In the middle of the suburbs, near nothing and across the street from a mall. I am glad the Devils decided to move somewhere accessible to people. The Panthers arena itself is great, I love how the food/souvenir places are all off in their own area so it doesn't disrupt the flow of people walking around the concourse. However, the area it is in is certainly not something I would want the Devils to emulate. We have tried that middle of nowhere arena for the last 25 years and have not had very good results.

I really do not get all the safety concerns. Newark knows they have to do this right. It will be like going to Yankee Stadium, cops everywhere.

newark is a very large city and there are certainly trouble areas but where the arena is located is not one of them. and the major roads to the arena are also very safe.

there is also a killing, or shooting, or fire in NYC every day. do you go there?

I havent even been to ONE game at CAA...which is really gay but what can you do? My mom wont let me go :-( And the day I was supposed to go it was my nephews b-day and she had a hissy fit. So...whatever.

All I know is the every morning I turn the news on and there is some kind of shooting, killing or fire in Newark. It does not enstow confidence in me that this is going to be a safe place.

Philly is much worse

I am very excited for the new arena. I think it is going to work out great for the Devils and fans. Its going to be awesome to go to a brand new state of the art arena next year! I won't miss the CAA at all. Newark is so much easier to get to and it actually has restuarants, etc. around it.

There aren't any troubles in that area because no one goes there yet!

Are you serious? It is packed down there. Everytime ive been to NJPAC its been crowded in the area with many people walking around.

Oh..I just assumed...damn, i gotta train to be a good guesser. But i doubt it will be the same amount of people when there is a devils game. And more crap happens in public than when there is just a few people.

Oh..I just assumed...damn, i gotta train to be a good guesser. But i doubt it will be the same amount of people when there is a devils game. And more crap happens in public than when there is just a few people.

I dont have statistics.. but i would think more thigns happen in isolated areas and back roads and alleys, then in the highly popualted areas. Ya dont hear about murders and stabbings at and around yankee stadium or manhattan around 42nd street. etc, as much as you hear about things happening on more empty streets. I was more scared walking around an empty street in the bronx then I am walking from 42-33rd in Manhattan on 8th Ave. I just think the empty areas are more of a threat, no one wants to commit a crime with hundreds of witnesses.

Edited by langsgirl

The Panthers arena is basically CAA South. In the middle of the suburbs, near nothing and across the street from a mall. I am glad the Devils decided to move somewhere accessible to people. The Panthers arena itself is great, I love how the food/souvenir places are all off in their own area so it doesn't disrupt the flow of people walking around the concourse. However, the area it is in is certainly not something I would want the Devils to emulate. We have tried that middle of nowhere arena for the last 25 years and have not had very good results.

I really do not get all the safety concerns. Newark knows they have to do this right. It will be like going to Yankee Stadium, cops everywhere.

Ill add another place to the mix as CAA West and that is the Honda Center in Anaheim.

Beautiful arena, top of the line amentities...but not much going on around it besides a decent sports bar across the street and Angels Stadium is right close by.

Ill add another place to the mix as CAA West and that is the Honda Center in Anaheim.

Beautiful arena, top of the line amentities...but not much going on around it besides a decent sports bar across the street and Angels Stadium is right close by.

I'll vouch for that. I've never been to the arena for a game, but when I was out there 3 years ago, I saw it as I drove by and it's surrounded by nothing. Another drive-only rink. The only trains nearby are the trams at Disneyland.

I'll vouch for that. I've never been to the arena for a game, but when I was out there 3 years ago, I saw it as I drove by and it's surrounded by nothing. Another drive-only rink. The only trains nearby are the trams at Disneyland.

That's not entirely true. The LA version of NJ Transit has a station at Angels Stadium which is close by to the arena. But yeah there is not much going on there either. Even Staples Center, in downtown LA, doesn't have too much in the immediate vicinity since it is next door to the convention center.

That's not entirely true. The LA version of NJ Transit has a station at Angels Stadium which is close by to the arena. But yeah there is not much going on there either. Even Staples Center, in downtown LA, doesn't have too much in the immediate vicinity since it is next door to the convention center.

And do not wander too far south of Staples...South Central LA is brutal

I dont have statistics.. but i would think more thigns happen in isolated areas and back roads and alleys, then in the highly popualted areas. Ya dont hear about murders and stabbings at and around yankee stadium or manhattan around 42nd street. etc, as much as you hear about things happening on more empty streets. I was more scared walking around an empty street in the bronx then I am walking from 42-33rd in Manhattan on 8th Ave. I just think the empty areas are more of a threat, no one wants to commit a crime with hundreds of witnesses.

But I am sure it's not isolated when people are around. Not many people will do anything when a robery is taking place right infront of them, they'd run away..but nothing else.

Well I again disagree. We just agree to disagree. I think people would pick up their cell phone and call for help and I think the "right" people would step in. Maybe I wouldnt being a female.. if it was a male robbing someone.. but with enough people around I would be willing to help, if others would help too.

My brother recently saved a Bum from going to jail..as the bum was kicking the sh!t out of another bum who was taunting him and my brother picked up his camera and filmed it..so when the cops arrived he got the guy out of going to jail even though he was covered in the guys blood. my brother could have walked away and been like who cares about 2 bums fighting.. but he stayed..and even got himself thrown to the ground by the cops who thought he was involved when they first arrived.

I dont think all people would act.. but I think many people would still help if seeing something occur.. and again, i dont feel like these incidents are going to be common in crowded areas... I think we hear about them more in the empty areas or late at night when no one is around.

So you think people are more likely to commit a crime with 50 people around watching them then if someone is walking alone? I'm going to put my two cents in that that is the opposite of reality.

If you were a thief would you rather do something to someone by themselves or with tons of people around? It's just common sense here.

Edit: It's all moot anyway. Newark has cops around for small crowds from NJPAC so they obviously take the security for event crowds security

Edited by Devils731

All I know is the every morning I turn the news on and there is some kind of shooting, killing or fire in Newark. It does not enstow confidence in me that this is going to be a safe place.

Yea and over 95% of those are probably planned attacks that have to do with gangs or something, and most of them are in a different area of the city. Usually these incidents are not "Oh look, someone walking around, let's get 'em for no reason!" There is usually a reason for these killings, not saying they are justified, but it's not like they're going around killing random people for fun.

But I am sure it's not isolated when people are around. Not many people will do anything when a robery is taking place right infront of them, they'd run away..but nothing else.

And not many people will rob someone when there are 18,000 people around.

1. Former FBI Director is resonsible for security

2. Tons of Cops

3. IT's in a business district

4. Newark doesn't need the problems, much like the Yankees don't in the Bronx.

5. Too much money invovled, overwhelming security will be provided.

6. Newark PD Headquarters is a block away...a block away.

If that Xandu diaster wasn't being built I wish the new arena would have been built right next door BUT since that's not happening I am excited about the new arena. The only thing I don't like is that I won't be able to leave my house at 7:05 and be there before the puck drops like I can do going to CAA because of the parking.