The Ring of Fire

Devilsdude530

Let's Assume that Marty goes on for a few more years, and we retire #30. And let's also assume (Although I know some are against) that EVENTUALLY, John MacLean's #15 will go to the rafters. Save maybe a microphone banner with Mike "Doc" Emrick's name on it, perhaps a Bill Torrey-style "Architecht" banner for Lou, the rafters stay empty from here on in.

Who would go into this proposed ring of fire. Here are my current candidates, and those older than me can add theirs as they go along. I'd like to get it down to a list of 15. This is assuming (with current players) that they keep to their current standards.

-Bruce Driver

-Chris Terreri

-Patrik Elias

-Brian Gionta

-Scott Niedermayer

-Brian Rafalski

-John Madden

-Jay Pandolfo

-Sergei Brylin

-Jamie Langenbrunner

-Randy McKay

-Tommy Albelin

-Claude Lemieux

-Glenn "Chico" Resch

Those are my starting nominees. Let's hear it from everyone else. I listed 14, let's say that their are 16 spots in this proposed "Ring". Who should be there?

I'd love to make this into an actual list we could submit to the Devils when they decide to create a Hall of Fame.

Not much in terms of time, but give me Claude Lemieux any day of the week. He's exactly what we needed the past few years....well, a younger more fiery version.

Guy is a winner and despite his time in Montreal or Colorado, to me, he's a Devil.

DD530:

While I love most of the players you've mentioned, almost none of those guys deserve that sort of recognition. Tommy Albelin was an average 3rd pairing defender, Chris Terreri was an excellent backup/poor starter, and Sergei Brylin was at best a 2nd line wing. They were certainly integral parts to the Devils' franchise, but you'd have to kick them out for guys like Parise down the road anyway.

also, no Stephane Richer is a crime

Edited by Triumph

I agree about Albelin and Terreri and I'd add McKay to the dropped list. Unless we plan on this franchise folding in about 5 years then the ring - or whatever you want to call it - should be for special players, not just guys who played here for a long time. Lets not cheapen it.

And, as far as I'm concerned, Daneyko should be in the ring, but since its summer I won't keep beating the dead horse...

Why is there a limited number of spots? Why should you have to kick someone out to add a new person?

I thought the whole point of having a 'Ring of Fire' is to honor players who weren't good enough to have their numbers retired. This way we could honor "special" Devils who were special in other ways besides their abilities.

But the problem is for most of us we think this team has about 10 special players on the team at every moment, which is great for us as fans but isn't realistic. Ask this question 10 years ago and you'd hear names like Muller, Dougie Brown and Broten who a large percentage of todays Devil fans would have to look up in the program to see who they are.

But the problem is for most of us we think this team has about 10 special players on the team at every moment, which is great for us as fans but isn't realistic. Ask this question 10 years ago and you'd hear names like Muller, Dougie Brown and Broten who a large percentage of todays Devil fans would have to look up in the program to see who they are.

I think the Ring of Fire would be designed for Brylin... a lifetime devil who won countless unsung hero awards with the team.

Daneyko would also fit the billing, but we retired his jersey instead.

My list would be

Kirk Muller

Bruce Driver

John MacLean

Sergei Brylin

John Madden

Jay Pandolfo

Brian Rafalski

Patrik Elias or jersey retired

Brodeur will obviously have his jersey retired.

A difficult question comes with Niedermayer. If he retires now, I'd raise his jersey to the rafters. If he retires in 5 years, I'd say ring of fire - and thats a maybe. If Niedermayer plays for much longer outside the Devils, It has a Scott Stevens/Washington Capitals effect. Stevens is a Devil, not a Capital. If Neidermayer capitans the Ducks for another 3-5 years, he might be rememebered as a Duck in the books.

i don't like the ring of fire idea. In any case I predict niedermayer's number will be retired eventually, i.e. 10-20 years in the future when the devils are terrible and need something to generate interest.

If we must have a ring of fire I'd only like a ring of lifetime devils or something of the ilk for presumbaly brylin, pandolfo, rafalski, and parise ;)

-Bruce Driver

-Jay Pandolfo

-Sergei Brylin

-Randy McKay

-Claude Lemieux

-John Maclean

i like to go by what they've added to the team on and off the ice. sergei has played his entre career here, has no desire to leave and even when it's not his best night he's still giving 110%

DD530:

While I love most of the players you've mentioned, almost none of those guys deserve that sort of recognition. Tommy Albelin was an average 3rd pairing defender, Chris Terreri was an excellent backup/poor starter, and Sergei Brylin was at best a 2nd line wing. They were certainly integral parts to the Devils' franchise, but you'd have to kick them out for guys like Parise down the road anyway.

also, no Stephane Richer is a crime

-Bruce Driver

-Jay Pandolfo

-Sergei Brylin

-Randy McKay

-Claude Lemieux

-John Maclean

i like to go by what they've added to the team on and off the ice. sergei has played his entre career here, has no desire to leave and even when it's not his best night he's still giving 110%

I like this list but how do you leave Rafalski off (assuming that he resigns and finishes his career here)? He basically waited on Nieds to make a decision a few years ago and now is saying he only wants to be a Devil. Also, he's been a damn good player and won 2 cups with us.

Edited by PhillyDevil