Brent Sutter to be New Devils Coach

capo

OK so now the Devils have a head coach in Brent Sutter which I think was a good choice. If Sutter does not do well will Lou be quick to pull the trigger on Sutter like he did with Julien with his team in first place? I hope Lou gives Sutter a chance here. It may not be all that good this season guys with a shaky defense along with no leadership here on defense with Rafalski and Lukowich gone. Maybe this is the time for White to step it up and be a leader along with Martin.

Edited by SatansDevils

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks. i have to admit, i'm probably overreacting but this signing has me giddy.

Overreacting, yes as this defense still sucks! Sure we may hit, but we'll take dumb penalties (White) and the likes of Gomez's skating will make this "D" look like a gap bigger than Maddona's #$%^!

I Like the signing of a coach that Lou is truly enthusiastic about, however I will not be happy and lay down $200.00 a night to see a team that looks like the Flyers D of last year!

I don't want to hear "regardless of how we do this year people will be afraid to play the Devils when they show up on the schedule", that's bullsh^t! Yes we'll hit and take dumb penalties, we'll not score because we'll be on the PK 1/5 of the game as WE'RE SLOW AS HELL!

Welcome aboard coach, I just hope Lou makes a trade for some speed up front and a dman who can play a point! Looks like you're sh^t out of luck as it looks like LL is content that he'll sign Martin who is no great gift either but a second line dman at this stage of his career.

Going into this arena with this f'in lineup is a joke!

Overreacting, yes as this defense still sucks! Sure we may hit, but we'll take dumb penalties (White) and the likes of Gomez's skating will make this "D" look like a gap bigger than Maddona's #$%^!

I Like the signing of a coach that Lou is truly enthusiastic about, however I will not be happy and lay down $200.00 a night to see a team that looks like the Flyers D of last year!

I don't want to hear "regardless of how we do this year people will be afraid to play the Devils when they show up on the schedule", that's bullsh^t! Yes we'll hit and take dumb penalties, we'll not score because we'll be on the PK 1/5 of the game as WE'RE SLOW AS HELL!

Welcome aboard coach, I just hope Lou makes a trade for some speed up front and a dman who can play a point! Looks like you're sh^t out of luck as it looks like LL is content that he'll sign Martin who is no great gift either but a second line dman at this stage of his career.

Going into this arena with this f'in lineup is a joke!

I am convinced that some of you don't watch other teams at all. Like - even when you watch Devils games, you just watch the six guys in red and black. You do realize that the Devils were LAST in penalties against, right? Not only were they last, they were last by an ENORMOUS margin? They were shorthanded 271 times - the next team was shorthanded 305 times! I think the Devils' inability to take some rough penalties has hurt them over the past two years as teams just aren't afraid to throw our guys around to outwork us for pucks. Colin White's stupid penalties (not the hooks and holds but the roughs and cross-checks) can be good!

271 times! That's 3.3 times a game! Do you realize how few penalties that is? Not only that, we have some of the best penalty killers in the league! Why are we afraid of a situation that puts us at a (relative) advantage? I hope Sutter lets the guys get rough out there once in a while.

LOL at getting on the Devils for being undisciplined - next you will say Anaheim needs more fighters, or Calgary needs more North American players.

Edited by Triumph

I am convinced that some of you don't watch other teams at all...

271 times! That's 3.3 times a game! are we afraid of a situation that puts us at a (relative) advantage? I hope Sutter lets the guys get rough out there once in a while.

LOL at getting on the Devils for being undisciplined - next you will say Anaheim needs more fighters, or Calgary needs more North American players.

i will. you have to know that the team that's on the ice in october won't be the same team come june. last year we had brooks and fahey out there to start the year. but last year we had no cap space to make any moves. the only moves lou will make before the season will be to get martin and parise signed and i'm sure by the trade deadline, lou will make the move for an offensive defensman for the playoff run. i don't mind our forwards the way they are right now and i can't wait to see clarkson play regularly.

name='LOULAM1' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:40 PM' post='494757']

If I wanted to bother to check I'd give 2-1 odds I'd find a post from LouLam complaining how wussified the team was last year, funny to hear anyone now complaining about having too many penalties when we haven't played a game yet and the fans love to pile up fighting penalties.

Personally I'm glad we're bringing in size. Even if I don't agree with all the decisions, we've had three straight years of midgets with heart flaming out early in the playoffs because there wasn't enough beef in the refrigarator (and also Marty getting overplayed).

Edited by Hasan4978

If I wanted to bother to check I'd give 2-1 odds I'd find a post from LouLam complaining how wussified the team was last year, funny to hear him now complaining about having too many penalties.
Edited by LOULAM1

I always complained about bad "White" penalties as most have on this kool-aid drinking board along with size of the team.

NEVER, EVER DID I SEE US LOSING THE SPEED WE DID IN RALFI AND THE GRIT AND SIZE OF LUKO! I SAW GOMEZ GOING BUT DON'T THROW OUT SH^T UNLESS YOU BACK IT UP!

I'd love to find all the big physical players who don't take bad penalties from time to time.

Did everyone forget about Bobby Holik around here? Guy averaged 100 PIMs a season without ever fighting.

Anyway, LOULAM1 somehow got off my ignore list - I should rectify this.

also i wouldn't pay $100 a seat, but I would bet the price of that seat for the year that the Devils make the playoffs.

Edited by Triumph

I always complained about bad "White" penalties as most have on this kool-aid drinking board along with size of the team.

NEVER, EVER DID I SEE US LOSING THE SPEED WE DID IN RALFI AND THE GRIT AND SIZE OF LUKO! I SAW GOMEZ GOING BUT DON'T THROW OUT SH^T UNLESS YOU BACK IT UP!

Back to Sutter

I think this is a great choice for the Devils. From all I've learned or heard about him, at the very least, he's going to bring acountability back to the Devils. That's a big step in the right direction for the Devils.

Take a look at Sutter's success with young players and look at what Lou has picked up in the off-season. He bypassed Souray in favor of Vishnevski. He let Gomez walk and went with Zubrus, a guy who will go into corners and bang it out. Lou went with size and with what some have called works-in-progress. Lou picked up a few bigger, hungrier guys that will be taught Sutter's system. Guys that want that Cup because they haven't touched it yet.

This is looking better and better.

About Johnny Mac. I've loved him since he put on #15, but as some have pointed out Bobby Carpenter was the heir apparent to a head coaching job in Jersey till he took the leave of absence to take care of his dad. That's when Johnny Mac got his chance.

Remember the rumor that there was going to be some big trade/deal that would shake up the Devils organization. And posters all thought it was Elias/Gionta/White trade stuff. What if the big shake-up is the coaching staff? Sutter comes in; Johnny Mac goes to Lowelll etc. That would shake this organization up. And possibly shake up the players. The Devils are a playoff team; but they should be a contender. There's just been that something missing the last few years. Maybe Sutter can figure out what it is and fix it.

i was reading on espn and this guy seems like hes really good at he job. he better be really good at his job becouse the atlantic division is stacked and the devs start out with a 9 game road trip.

this guys going to have a hell of a job to do

olesha: the thing that is missing is talent. the two teams the devils lost to were far more talented. however, part of that talent was down-low presence - they had it, we didn't. we are getting better in that area with zajac's maturation and the addition of zubrus.

just to iterate further - pretty much reiterate :P

After reading Sutter quotes and stuff... I feel really happy! Lots of us were Isles fans back int the day -- With Lou's love for Montreal of the 70s - who I admired but loathed - it's just nice seeing the Isles/Devils connection. i felt the old isles were in between the Habs and oilers (yeah yeah literally but philosophically as well) so i always wondered if i should feel a little dirty for likeing the Isles so much (like how liking Gomez made me feel - he doesn't fit but if we could have MADE him fit if he had just WANTED to fit - it's be so cool!) Anyhow - this supports my love of hockey!!

i CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START! :evil: