Brent Sutter to be New Devils Coach

capo

I would have taken the Zamboni driver over Phat Quinn. This is a bonus. Sutter is someone with credibility as a successful player, from a family with a little bit of hockey in it and a successful coaching record. I agree that this is intended to be a long term solution.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say that was the only reason he got fired... this was in response to your defense of Julien saying he "lead" the Devils to 2nd in the East. The way he did it wasn't through excellent coaching, but through overplaying his key players and goalie.... and his defense giving up way to many chances.

My FanHouse take is here:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/07/12/...llos-successor/

From a coaching perspective, I think a guy like Sutter is a perfect fit. Even if he's just another neck on the chopping block, he comes in commanding respect, both as a coach and as a former player. Hell, the name still sells respect. He's an old-school guy who's not considered a dinosaur, like the Quinnasaurus Wrecks would have been.

<JESTER>

Also lets not forget the Errors he did..Back in November when he benched the Checking line vs Jagr, and he let the 4rth line against them..The players didn't like that.Also..He didn't let the players skate like they wanted..I mean he put a team that is already defensive more defensevely and less forecheck..Way to win your games 2-1 1-0, 3-2,4-3..

We've hired a lot of guys that have had NHL experience and they turned out to be crap (Constatine(sp) for one)...

As one of the links I posted earlier indicated, Brent indicated after he won the gold medal at the world juniors that he himself wasn't sure that success at the junior levels translates directly to success at the NHL level. Motivating "poor guys trying to get into the NHL to become rich" and "motivating multi-millionaires" are two completely different things. That part he will have to learn on the job. However, as a strategist, as a hard working guy that knows the game... we'd be getting one of the best. Ever.

Edited by Don

Nolan was an assistant coach in Hartford for a year before he went to Buffalo as well. Also Randy Carlyle had tonsssss of experience as well. I remember him being Manitoba's head coach and general manager for a bunch of seasons and he was also an assistant coach in the NHL with the Capitals for a few seasons.

I am still worried about Sutter coming in and getting the older guys to listen to him because even though the AHL might not be the NHL it's still gets you to learn about older players and learn how to get them to buy into your system.

Nolan was an assistant coach in Hartford for a year before he went to Buffalo as well. Also Randy Carlyle had tonsssss of experience as well. I remember him being Manitoba's head coach and general manager for a bunch of seasons and he was also an assistant coach in the NHL with the Capitals for a few seasons.

I am still worried about Sutter coming in and getting the older guys to listen to him because even though the AHL might not be the NHL it's still gets you to learn about older players and learn how to get them to buy into your system.