Brent Sutter to be New Devils Coach

capo

TSN thinks he's NJ bound!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=213329&hubname=

CONFIRMED BY SPORTSNET

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...712_003929_2988

"Sportsnet.ca -- It appears the New Jersey Devils have found a new bench boss. Sportsnet can confirm that Brent Sutter will step down as general manager and coach of the WHL's Red Deer Rebels to take over coaching duties with the Devils."

Edited by msweet

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that don't know much about him. Here's his wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Sutter

Brent Colin Sutter (born 10 June 1962 in Viking, Alberta, Canada) is a retired National Hockey League (NHL) player and current owner, president, general manager and head coach of the Red Deer Rebels in the Western Hockey League (WHL). He is the third youngest of seven Sutter brothers, six of whom made the NHL (along with Brian, Darryl, Duane, Rich and Ron). Brent spent the better part of seven seasons playing as a teammate of older brother Duane. In their first two years together on the New York Islanders, they were members of the 1982 and 1983 Stanley Cup Champions.

Sutter coached the Canadian junior ice hockey teams to consecutive gold medals at the 2005 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships and 2006 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He led both teams to unbeaten records, becoming the first coach to lead Canada to consecutive gold medals. Sutter declined Hockey Canada's offer to return for a third time in 2007.[1]

Brent played for the New York Islanders and the Chicago Blackhawks in the NHL and scored 829 points (363 goals, 466 assists) in 1111 regular season games and 74 points (30 goals, 44 assists) in 144 playoff games.

In the 1980 NHL Entry Draft Sutter was the Islanders' first pick, and the 17th overall. He played with the Islanders between 1981 and 1991. Brent would have the fortune of being on a team that entered the Stanley Cup finals in his first three seasons, winning in his first two. After Denis Potvin retired, starting in 1988-89, Brent was named captain of the Islanders.

In 1991, he was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks with Brad Lauer for Adam Creighton and Steve Thomas. He spent the last seven years of his NHL career in Chicago. During part of his time with the Hawks he was coached by his older brother Darryl. Brent was the last active player that had played with the Islanders during their early 80s dynasty, as well as the last member of the team still with the Islanders, when he was traded to the Chicago in 1991. In 1991-92, he helped lead the Hawks to a Stanley Cup final appearance, thus playing in four Cup finals in his career.

His son, Brandon, currently plays for him on the Rebels, and was the Carolina Hurricanes' first-round selection in the 2007 NHL draft.

I never heard of him (don't pay much attention to semi-pro leagues such as WHL, ECHL, or any of them.. AHL i do with the Lowell Devils but not on a consistent day-to-day basis).. Johnny Mac does deserve the job but he's still got time, im sure he'll remain with the organization for awhile and eventually (possibly) be Head Coach.. I wish most that Burns was back to coaching though :(

TSN is reliable but come on johnny mac is the guy for the job

I don't think Lou wants to make Johnny Mac head coach since he's doing good as the 'good guy' assistant. Besides, if he head coaches, Lou has to fire him at the end of the season because he doesn't 'like how the team is playing'. :D

I'm kinda curious to see how Sutter does if the Devs decide to bring him in. Its been a while since we had a guy who DIDN'T coach the Habs... :P

we have to promote johnny mac before he goes somewhere else hes been waiting for a long time now...and i think hes finally ready

If he was ready, he would have been named the head coach by now.

I don't think Mac is head coach material. I see him as a right hand man-lifer at this point. Maybe someone will give him a shot someday, but I don't see it. I think he's a great assistant coach though. Some aren't just cut out to be head coaches, and I have a feeling Johnny Mac is one of 'em.

First time I've been really happy about a coaching move since 2002. Not that I think he'll get them over the hump right away, but he will at least stabilize the coaching staff for the first time in a few years and hopefully squeeze the most out of this team.